The meaning of merge

Closed Thread
Old 11-12-2018, 12:21 PM
Default The meaning of merge

Signage needs to be looked at for all areas of the Villages pertaining to "CARTS MERGE WITH VEHICULAR TRAFFIC" signs posted at all areas where the golf cart lane merges with public roads. These signs need to be painted a bright yellow to stand out. I'm guessing 90% of these people either do not see them or ignore the signs and think sticking out their left arm and not slowing down gives them the right of way. Im traveling at 30 or 35 they are going 15 to 20 mph. Everyday im getting yelled at or cussed out because these people think im suppose to merge with the carts? I've seen grand kids out for a ride with grand ma or grand pa just ignoring these signs risking the lives of these kids, are they just stupid. There should be more effort on The Villages part like maybe a Headline in the news paper monthly in big bold print warning cart drivers the meaning of MERGE WITH VEHICULAR TRAFFIC MEANS. And paint those signs a bright yellow. Thanks for listening
Old 11-12-2018, 12:29 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

defensive driving is always best
Old 11-12-2018, 12:40 PM

If you're approaching a Stop Sign or Traffic Signal at 35 MPH where these signs are located then you're going too fast.Cart drivers are told to use hand and and turn signals,and most do.Why not let them merge.,or maybe you don't know the meaning of Merge.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:47 PM
Sage

There are two sides to this. Yes, there are cart drivers who think a turn signal or hand thrust out are sufficient, but there are also auto drivers that will race to overtake a cart in front of them thereby forcing the cart to brake at the merge.

When I have a cart in front and I know we are approaching a merge, I slow down to allow the cart to merge safely. It takes almost no time and we both go on our way safely.

I always wonder about the cart drivers who curse at the auto drivers in this situation whether they give the same courtesy to carts when they’re in the car.

And don’t forget, golf carts are considered motor vehicles.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

I think it is an American thing. Don't let another vehicle get in front
See it all the time, not just carts and cars, but carts to carts, and cars to cars.
How many times have you done it, or seen it happen?
Old 11-12-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron32162 View Post
Signage needs to be looked at for all areas of the Villages pertaining to "CARTS MERGE WITH VEHICULAR TRAFFIC" signs posted at all areas where the golf cart lane merges with public roads. These signs need to be painted a bright yellow to stand out. I'm guessing 90% of these people either do not see them or ignore the signs and think sticking out their left arm and not slowing down gives them the right of way. Im traveling at 30 or 35 they are going 15 to 20 mph. Everyday im getting yelled at or cussed out because these people think im suppose to merge with the carts? I've seen grand kids out for a ride with grand ma or grand pa just ignoring these signs risking the lives of these kids, are they just stupid. There should be more effort on The Villages part like maybe a Headline in the news paper monthly in big bold print warning cart drivers the meaning of MERGE WITH VEHICULAR TRAFFIC MEANS. And paint those signs a bright yellow. Thanks for listening
Wow...this post is stunning. Is it that hard to recognize that you know your coming upon a merge, you acknowledged the cart has signaled, you have way more visibility than a golf cart, you have a vehicle that is significantly more powerful and simply slow down to let them in? Where the heck are you going that is so important? Sounds like you make it a point to cut people off if you're getting yelled at regularly. I've been here 10+ years and have yet to have an issue as driver of a car or a golf cart. Slow down and let them merge.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:14 PM

It's not an American thing! In Asia, the merge rule is biggest goes first. If you do not learn this merge rule quickly you will die.
Royal Air Force Benson, England
Eielson Air Force Base, AK, Clark AFB, Philippines
Kadena AFB, Okinawa Japan, Yakota AFB, Japan
Osan AB, Pyeongtaek, South Korea, Yangsan Army Garrison, Seoul South Korea
Old 11-12-2018, 01:18 PM
Platinum member

My road my right of way, merge are you kidding?
Old 11-12-2018, 01:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jima64 View Post
Next thing ya know they'll be saving seats at the Squares and pushing dogs in baby carriages
Old 11-12-2018, 01:29 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,243 Times in 359 Posts

Quote:
If the cart is ahead of you at the merge point then you should give way. The speed differential at that point shouldn't matter. Most people slow a bit as they approach intersections where carts and cars merge. You might give it a try.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 11-12-2018, 02:13 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
I may be wrong but I believe that if you are doing 30 to 35 at any place where golf carts merge with automobile traffic, you are speeding.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
The roads belong to and are maintained by the county. SLOW DOWN!
Old 11-12-2018, 03:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I agree with this guy.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
I may be wrong but I believe that if you are doing 30 to 35 at any place where golf carts merge with automobile traffic, you are speeding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
And I agree with both of these guys.....
Old 11-12-2018, 04:27 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jima64 View Post
Nope, not your right of way. Nope, not kidding. Nope, not your road.

Tags
signs, merge, grand, people, yellow

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.