The meaning of merge

Closed Thread
Old 11-12-2018, 04:32 PM
Platinum member

At the risk of being accused of taking a feminist position, I offer the following. I think the aggressive behavior is more of a TESTOSTERONE thing! Seriously. I base my speculation upon years of observing many incidences of aggressive driving traits.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:43 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
At the risk of being accused of taking a feminist position, I offer the following. I think the aggressive behavior is more of a TESTOSTERONE thing! Seriously. I base my speculation upon years of observing many incidences of aggressive driving traits.
OUCH, I resemble that comment.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:50 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
OUCH, I resemble that comment.

Perhaps you do. On the other hand, I have both a male cousin who displays symptoms and behaviors of estrogen overload and a female ex-coworker who sometimes scared me by her seemingly testosterone-fueled outbursts!

So my comment is not sexist it's hormonal.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote:
By the time most men make it to The Villages Testosterone is no longer an issue.. lol
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Testos.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	77337  

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 11-12-2018, 05:01 PM
Veteran member

What happen to the idea that the cart driver should start looking in their mirrors well in advance of the merge point, rather than putting on turn signal and make arm extension at the last possible second? The signs on the freeway and surface roads start well in advance of the merge point and those that drive to right to the end may end up coming to a stop. Cart or Car....DO NOT wait until the last second to merge! Planning is much more prudent.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:04 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
By the time most men make it to The Villages Testosterone is no longer an issue.. lol

LOL and Touche (accent over the e)

But maybe, just maybe the dwindling testosterone reserve that is no longer available to certain parts of the anatomy MERGES with adrenalin and is exhibited only during those auto-outbursts? Again, just speculating.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:16 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts
Default Speed limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
I may be wrong but I believe that if you are doing 30 to 35 at any place where golf carts merge with automobile traffic, you are speeding.
Speed limit for cars on county roads where golf carts merge with cars is 30mph. Examples of these are Hillsborough Trail, Pinellas Place and Odell Circle.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:18 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron32162 View Post
Im traveling at 30 or 35 they are going 15 to 20 mph. Everyday im getting yelled at or cussed out because these people think im suppose to merge with the carts?
The posted speed limit on all roads where cars and carts share the road is no more than 30 mph. At the merge point, the speed limit for cars and carts is posted at 20 mph. YOU ARE SPEEDING IF YOU'RE GOING 30 OR 35 MPH. Respect the law and people won't yell at you. What's the rush?
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:33 PM

Cars and carts are to merge together at a safe speed. A merge location is different than a yield location. The signs say MERGE, not YIELD. Autos should slow down to the posted 20 mph and be prepared to merge with the carts. Cart drivers must check their rear view mirrors and make sure they are not pulling right in front of an automobile when they merge. While I always check my mirrors to make sure the way is clear before I pull into the merged lane, I have had cars speed up to cut me off and make me stop. Whether in my auto or in my cart, I approach the merge locations preparing to share the road at that site in a safe manner. Automobiles do not automatically have the right of way over carts at these locations. Both must use good common sense since we have to share the road.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:36 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiebill View Post
Cars and carts are to merge together at a safe speed. A merge location is different than a yield location. The signs say MERGE, not YIELD. Autos should slow down to the posted 20 mph and be prepared to merge with the carts. Cart drivers must check their rear view mirrors and make sure they are not pulling right in front of an automobile when they merge. While I always check my mirrors to make sure the way is clear before I pull into the merged lane, I have had cars speed up to cut me off and make me stop. Whether in my auto or in my cart, I approach the merge locations preparing to share the road at that site in a safe manner. Automobiles do not automatically have the right of way over carts at these locations. Both must use good common sense since we have to share the road.
Very reasonable (and responsible)
Old 11-12-2018, 05:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiebill View Post
You are absolutely correct in the underlined above and in a perfect world....everyone would realize such.

HOWEVER........

In almost all cases, the automobile will win in a conflict (even if they're in the wrong)...so is it really worth pushing the issue?
Old 11-12-2018, 07:07 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seoulbrooks View Post
It's not an American thing! In Asia, the merge rule is biggest goes first. If you do not learn this merge rule quickly you will die.
Last I checked, we are not in Asia
Old 11-12-2018, 07:09 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Very reasonable (and responsible)

Just be courteous, everyone, including bicyclists etc have to share the roads here
Old 11-12-2018, 07:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron32162 View Post
Signage needs to be looked at for all areas of the Villages pertaining to "CARTS MERGE WITH VEHICULAR TRAFFIC" signs posted at all areas where the golf cart lane merges with public roads. These signs need to be painted a bright yellow to stand out. I'm guessing 90% of these people either do not see them or ignore the signs and think sticking out their left arm and not slowing down gives them the right of way. Im traveling at 30 or 35 they are going 15 to 20 mph. Everyday im getting yelled at or cussed out because these people think im suppose to merge with the carts? I've seen grand kids out for a ride with grand ma or grand pa just ignoring these signs risking the lives of these kids, are they just stupid. There should be more effort on The Villages part like maybe a Headline in the news paper monthly in big bold print warning cart drivers the meaning of MERGE WITH VEHICULAR TRAFFIC MEANS. And paint those signs a bright yellow. Thanks for listening
I see that you joined in 2015 but this is only your 2nd post. It makes me wonder if you are new to driving here. We are a golf cart community. If I see a cart ahead of me and that cart signals an intent to merge I would expect to allow the cart to merge. Why is this so problematic?
Old 11-12-2018, 09:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

I usually try to merge about 50yds (just about a short lob wedge) from the point where the cart lane ends so I don’t get boxed in at the end of the lane.

Tags
signs, merge, grand, people, yellow

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.