The meaning of merge

Closed Thread
Old 11-12-2018, 09:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
By the time most men make it to The Villages Testosterone is no longer an issue.. lol
Yeah, but most men here think they are still full of p*ss and vinegar.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,354 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Yeah, but most men here think they are still full of p*ss and vinegar.
My wife says I am full of sh*t as well!
Old 11-13-2018, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
By the time most men make it to The Villages Testosterone is no longer an issue.. lol
And I'm sure NO Villagers are spending good money on "manly" supplements. LOL
Old 11-13-2018, 07:06 AM

The bottom line is, the car has the right-of-way. You don't stop the interstate for merging traffic. Same rule applies here.

U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service

Senior Firearms Instructor,
Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC)
Glynco, GA
Old 11-13-2018, 08:02 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing-nut2 View Post
The bottom line is, the car has the right-of-way. You don't stop the interstate for merging traffic. Same rule applies here.
Wow............one of those people who think they own their lane, their highway, their rights.

I don't think +60 mph & 25/30 mph traffic is the same. On the interstate, there are two lanes to move over and who stops on the highway or in TV.............just slow down, drive defensively and be considerate to your neighbor.

Never know what the other driver is struggling with in life.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,453 Times in 3,084 Posts

I agree with the OP. If I'm on Smith Road, and golf cart is on Golf Path, then I have the right of way, period. I shouldn't be slowing down on my own road to let some slower person merge in. It is his responsibility to wait for me to pass.

This is true with all entry ramps on roads. If you're driving on a major highway around a turn (meaning, you're starting to slow down a little but still going 50-60 MPH), and there's an entrance ramp on your right, the people on the entrance ramp must YIELD to you. And you need to expect them to MERGE into your lange. If that means the yielder has to stop and wait for you to pass, then that's what it means.

If a vehicle that *cannot* go fast immediately is trying to enter the road, the slower vehicle MUST yield to the faster moving vehicles already on that road.

If he doesn't, he risks creating a traffic jam behind the guy he's trying to get in front of, or a crash because everyone behind him might not realize that the guy in front is slowing down abruptly to let some slowpoke in.

Being nice to golf cart drivers is doing actual car drivers no service at all, and increases the risk of danger. People need to learn to take their turn, and stick with it.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:34 AM

WoW....lots of merging minds on this subject!
Royal Air Force Benson, England
Eielson Air Force Base, AK, Clark AFB, Philippines
Kadena AFB, Okinawa Japan, Yakota AFB, Japan
Osan AB, Pyeongtaek, South Korea, Yangsan Army Garrison, Seoul South Korea
Old 11-13-2018, 08:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
I agree with the OP. If I'm on Smith Road, and golf cart is on Golf Path, then I have the right of way, period. I shouldn't be slowing down on my own road to let some slower person merge in. It is his responsibility to wait for me to pass.

This is true with all entry ramps on roads. If you're driving on a major highway around a turn (meaning, you're starting to slow down a little but still going 50-60 MPH), and there's an entrance ramp on your right, the people on the entrance ramp must YIELD to you. And you need to expect them to MERGE into your lange. If that means the yielder has to stop and wait for you to pass, then that's what it means.

If a vehicle that *cannot* go fast immediately is trying to enter the road, the slower vehicle MUST yield to the faster moving vehicles already on that road.

If he doesn't, he risks creating a traffic jam behind the guy he's trying to get in front of, or a crash because everyone behind him might not realize that the guy in front is slowing down abruptly to let some slowpoke in.

Being nice to golf cart drivers is doing actual car drivers no service at all, and increases the risk of danger. People need to learn to take their turn, and stick with it.
We’re not talking Interstate traffic. Speed limit on Villages roads with a path on the side is 30. Carts are generally doing about 20. Not a big difference. Carts have to merge approaching gates where all traffic should be slowing anyway or when a left turn lane is created. Either way, it is for a short distance. Most cart drivers will check traffic as they approach the merge and not cut off autos. It would be considerate if those that insist on their “right of way” would anticipate the merge as well and allow the cart to safely merge.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:48 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
My wife says I am full of sh*t as well!
LMAO I feel your pain also
Old 11-13-2018, 09:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by seoulbrooks View Post
WoW....lots of merging minds on this subject!
Some are using signals, some are not.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Well my biggest complaint with the carts is YOU DON'T MAKE A LEFT TURN FROM THE CART PATH merge before your left hand turn period
Old 11-13-2018, 03:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
Well my biggest complaint with the carts is YOU DON'T MAKE A LEFT TURN FROM THE CART PATH merge before your left hand turn period
Umm, and you might signal too.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,453 Times in 3,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
I see that you joined in 2015 but this is only your 2nd post. It makes me wonder if you are new to driving here. We are a golf cart community. If I see a cart ahead of me and that cart signals an intent to merge I would expect to allow the cart to merge. Why is this so problematic?
Because a) these aren't private roads, they're public roads, and not everyone who drives on them lives in the Villages. b) new Villagers aren't used to "how you all do things" and will be expecting things to be at least similar to how they do things at home. The continual presence of golf carts is a new phenomenon to them, and they need time to adjust to it before learning how to do it the Villages way. c) expecting everyone on public roads to know how the Villagers do things, is unreasonable.

Even if they know they need to be at 20 mph, that means they have to slow down FROM 30 or 35, to reach that 20. They might be going 21. And those rental carts that visitors use *cannot* go 20mph. They top out at 18. But the car has the *right* to go 20. Since the drivers have the legal right to go 20, and rental golf carts *cannot* go that fast even if they wanted to, it's up the the golf cart to let the car pass and get out his way before entering the merge.

Car drivers cannot, and should not, be expected to know which golf cart can speed up and which shouldn't. They are already on that road, it's their right to continue on that road. Traffic merging onto a road they weren't already on has to make sure there isn't anything already there about to crash into them. Traffic already on the road have the responsibility to take their right of way.

Just like at a normal 4-way stop sign - the person on the right, has the right of way. If he refuses to take it, and gives his right to someone else, he ruins the entire smooth-flowing pattern. If someone else decides to jump in because the person who DOES have the right, isn't fast enough, it causes crashes. I know - I live 3 blocks from one. If you have the right of way, take it. If you don't have the right of way, yield to the one who does.

The person ON the road, has the right of way over the person who is not ON the road.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Because a) these aren't private roads, they're public roads, and not everyone who drives on them lives in the Villages. b) new Villagers aren't used to "how you all do things" and will be expecting things to be at least similar to how they do things at home. The continual presence of golf carts is a new phenomenon to them, and they need time to adjust to it before learning how to do it the Villages way. c) expecting everyone on public roads to know how the Villagers do things, is unreasonable.

Even if they know they need to be at 20 mph, that means they have to slow down FROM 30 or 35, to reach that 20. They might be going 21. And those rental carts that visitors use *cannot* go 20mph. They top out at 18. But the car has the *right* to go 20. Since the drivers have the legal right to go 20, and rental golf carts *cannot* go that fast even if they wanted to, it's up the the golf cart to let the car pass and get out his way before entering the merge.

Car drivers cannot, and should not, be expected to know which golf cart can speed up and which shouldn't. They are already on that road, it's their right to continue on that road. Traffic merging onto a road they weren't already on has to make sure there isn't anything already there about to crash into them. Traffic already on the road have the responsibility to take their right of way.

Just like at a normal 4-way stop sign - the person on the right, has the right of way. If he refuses to take it, and gives his right to someone else, he ruins the entire smooth-flowing pattern. If someone else decides to jump in because the person who DOES have the right, isn't fast enough, it causes crashes. I know - I live 3 blocks from one. If you have the right of way, take it. If you don't have the right of way, yield to the one who does.

The person ON the road, has the right of way over the person who is not ON the road.
Talk about overthinking. Drive with caution and treat any vehicle with the basic rules of the road and common courtesy and everything will turn out just fine.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:01 AM
Sage

Quote:

Oh Boy.

Closed Thread

Tags
signs, merge, grand, people, yellow

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.