Lawn Maintenance & Pest Control

Closed Thread
Old 04-07-2013, 04:42 PM
Veteran member
Default Lawn Maintenance & Pest Control

I'm enrolling in the Empty Nest Program and the form asks for the Lawn Maintenance person as well as the Pest Control person.

I was unaware that I needed a pest control program and was under impression that lawn maintenance handled both activities.

Can anyone shed some light on pest control requirements?...........do they spray exterior?......interior?.....can lawn guy do both activities?......what type pests are we concerned with?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Retirement has been a discovery of beauty for me. I never had enough time before to truly appreciate the beauty of my grandchild, my wife, the tree outside my very own front door. And, the beauty of time itself.

Last edited by AriaGrandparents2013; 04-07-2013 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Spelling error correction
Old 04-07-2013, 04:48 PM
Sage

Most lawn maintenance people just mow, blow and go. You need county and state licenses for any pesticide applications. That being said there are companies like Stellar, who I use, who are properly licensed to provide all the services for the exterior of your home, including termite protection.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:13 PM
Gold member

Stellar can do it all. 352-553-2597
Old 04-08-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman911 View Post
Stellar can do it all. 352-553-2597
Call Stellar
Old 04-09-2013, 07:08 AM
Veteran member

I use KB for mow, blow and go and their services to fertilize lawn and shrubs. Found out that the lawn has mole crickets (they fly) which requires a separate application and watering at time of service. Critters burrow and destroy (eat) the root system of the grass. Thought these little mounds of dirt was ants.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:35 AM
KatieDidNot

Pest Control is separate than lawn care. I use Deans, who is one of the companies that is "one stop shopping". I think they might be a little more expensive than some of the smaller companies, but so far, I have really liked them.

For lawn care they mow, edge, weed my flower beds, and fertilize, weed, and kill insects or eliminate disease in the lawn.

For pest control, they maintain my current termite contract and termite insurance policy, spray my entire house exterior bi-monthly to include shrubs and flower gardens. Additionally, they include unlimited service calls if I notice bugs in a shrub or anywhere else.

I do my own indoor pest control on a as needed basis, but they will do that as well, along with irrigation, and the pruning of shrubs and trees.

Specific critters you need to watch out for are termites, fire ants, black ants, white flies, and mole crickets. Those are the big ones. If you start getting roaches, I would personally recommend a professional do the job vs. trying to do it yourself.

Hope this was helpful.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperboy View Post
Call Stellar
Old 04-09-2013, 10:04 PM
Gold member

Call Massey. I have used them and they have provided great service. They are a company that covers three states ,they know their business.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieDidNot View Post
Pest Control is separate than lawn care. I use Deans, who is one of the companies that is "one stop shopping". I think they might be a little more expensive than some of the smaller companies, but so far, I have really liked them.

For lawn care they mow, edge, weed my flower beds, and fertilize, weed, and kill insects or eliminate disease in the lawn.

For pest control, they maintain my current termite contract and termite insurance policy, spray my entire house exterior bi-monthly to include shrubs and flower gardens. Additionally, they include unlimited service calls if I notice bugs in a shrub or anywhere else.

I do my own indoor pest control on a as needed basis, but they will do that as well, along with irrigation, and the pruning of shrubs and trees.

Specific critters you need to watch out for are termites, fire ants, black ants, white flies, and mole crickets. Those are the big ones. If you start getting roaches, I would personally recommend a professional do the job vs. trying to do it yourself.

Hope this was helpful.
Thank you.......very helpful.
Retirement has been a discovery of beauty for me. I never had enough time before to truly appreciate the beauty of my grandchild, my wife, the tree outside my very own front door. And, the beauty of time itself.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:29 AM
Veteran member

Thank you to all posts.....very helpful and considerable information to contemplate.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.