Mechanic NEEDED

Closed Thread
Old 03-27-2023, 11:34 AM
Default Mechanic NEEDED

For ALL of you who used to go to AccuTech Automotive for services by ACE mechanic Bobby Bowser - WHO do you go to now? I need brakes on my Lexus and I trusted Bobby - now I don't know who to trust! Any FIRST HAND recommendations?
Thanks!
Old 03-27-2023, 11:54 AM
Veteran member

I took my Lexus to Michael's Auto Repair in Fruitland Park and was very pleased with the work at a very reasonable price.

Michael's Auto Repair
307 N. Villa Ave
352-365-2955
Old 03-27-2023, 11:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda West View Post
For ALL of you who used to go to AccuTech Automotive for services by ACE mechanic Bobby Bowser - WHO do you go to now? I need brakes on my Lexus and I trusted Bobby - now I don't know who to trust! Any FIRST HAND recommendations?
Thanks!
Try Sumter Tire and Auto in Wildwood. Down-to-earth, no-nonsense folks who definitely know their stuff. Noisy and not overly clean, but it is an auto repair shop after all. They don't take appointments. First come, first served. They do a lot of business though so it would behoove anyone going there do do so early in the day.

Trustworthy? Our first experience was when one morning the Rav4 wouldn't start. Battery just about dead as a doornail...enough to run the interior lights but that's all. I was watching a friend's farm at the time so couldn't leave, but got it started and told my wife to take it to Sumter Tire and Auto and have them check it out, then call me and let me know what it needs. And do NOT turn it off enroute. She did. It needed a new battery.

How this indicates trust is that my wife, aside from being a woman (obviously) is also a minority. SE Asian. They could have told her anything; a charging system failure somewhere along the line, who knows what else besides a battery. The battery failed a load test but the charging system was putting out adequate amperage to keep the battery charged up. They installed a new battery; no charge for the installation, and sent her on her way.

We've since been back a couple of other times for routine maintenance and continue to be satisfied. They've been fair with us, and from that I assume others as well.
Old 03-27-2023, 12:18 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Wildwood or Sumter tire
Old 03-27-2023, 12:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfierle View Post
I took my Lexus to Michael's Auto Repair in Fruitland Park and was very pleased with the work at a very reasonable price.

Michael's Auto Repair
307 N. Villa Ave
352-365-2955
Agreed !
Old 03-27-2023, 02:50 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
Wildwood or Sumter tire
I would select Sumter Tire over Wildwood Tire.

Wildwood Tire does............"first come, first serve".............sort-of.
Old 03-27-2023, 03:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Try the good old boys @ Quality Tire & Brake
Old 03-27-2023, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

I could be wrong, but I get the impression that some people who own a Lexus, a Mercedes, or other expensive foreign vehicle seem to think that their vehicle is "special" and they need to have it serviced at a high class, high priced maintenance shop. I don't see it that way. In my opinion, any experienced mechanic can do an oil change, a brake job, or other maintenance service on just about any vehicle.
Old 03-27-2023, 04:09 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I could be wrong, but I get the impression that some people who own a Lexus, a Mercedes, or other expensive foreign vehicle seem to think that their vehicle is "special" and they need to have it serviced at a high class, high priced maintenance shop. I don't see it that way. In my opinion, any experienced mechanic can do an oil change, a brake job, or other maintenance service on just about any vehicle.
Not sure what you really mean by "special", but we certainly found out while (many) mechanics can work on any make of auto, that's definitely not universal. We have always driven Volvo's and found it is a major mistake to not seek out a qualified Volvo mechanic. Didn't have to be a dealership, but from our experience I would suggest people do find a mechanic to specialized in various imports such as the ones you mentioned. Of course these days, it's difficult to determine which parts of which brands are made in which part of the world ! LOL !
Old 03-27-2023, 10:46 PM
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
"They installed a new battery; no charge for the installation, and sent her on her way."
You sure about that? What was the charge for the new battery?

Maybe the installation charge is built into the "cost of the battery", so one could be easily mislead into thinking that there was no "installation charge" when the service bill shows only the cost for the battery?
Old 03-28-2023, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseSpender View Post
You sure about that? What was the charge for the new battery?

Maybe the installation charge is built into the "cost of the battery", so one could be easily mislead into thinking that there was no "installation charge" when the service bill shows only the cost for the battery?
I agree with wisespender. I went there to buy a battery over the counter to go and install at home. I knew what the retail price was and when I got the receipt there was a $9 and some odd cents charge on there for "shop supplies". When I questioned her, the response was "that's for cc fees". We went round and round for a minute. I'll never go back.....except the next day to get my $20 core charge back.
Old 03-28-2023, 06:16 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,064 Times in 533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda West View Post
Thanks!
Accurso Auto, in Oxford. I trust Jason completely. He recently put new brakes on my Mercedes.
Old 03-28-2023, 06:18 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,064 Times in 533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I took my Mercedes to Sumter Tire and he recommended a different place that works on foreign cars.
Old 03-28-2023, 06:40 AM
Default Expert Auto center

Expert Auto Center | Mechanic Shop | Fruitland Park, Florida
I’ve taken my car here and have been very satisfied with the service. The owner is honest and doesn’t pull any strings.

I’ve also taken my car to All German Motor Works since I own an Audi. They may be willing to take the Lexus.

Maserati, Bentley, BMW, Porsche, Audi, Mini, Mercedes, Service Repair
Old 03-28-2023, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcStephen View Post
Expert Auto Center | Mechanic Shop | Fruitland Park, Florida
I’ve taken my car here and have been very satisfied with the service. The owner is honest and doesn’t pull any strings.

I’ve also taken my car to All German Motor Works since I own an Audi. They may be willing to take the Lexus.

Maserati, Bentley, BMW, Porsche, Audi, Mini, Mercedes, Service Repair

I also use Expert Auto in Fruitland Park. As a matter of fact, I have an appointment there today for regular service on my Mercedes. George is the owner and he’s been very accommodating and fair with me.
Closed Thread

Tags
mechanic, bobby, trusted, lexus, trust

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.