Mental "Reservations" About TV? If you had any, how'd they work out?

Closed Thread
Old 03-03-2020, 07:42 AM

Sharon, I am so sorry that your experience here is as it is. I hope that you will be able to look into some other areas for entertainment. There are some very fine restaurants outside of TV so please check them out. You are young and can get around. We don't golf so have always played water volleyball and basic invites everyone after a quick class through Sea Breeze. Polo is fantastic here with the most beautiful x-race horses (we call them polo ponies). I do not push religion on anyone but our Church (New Covenant United Methodist Church at Lake Deaton--Rt.44A) is where we have found our closest friends and is the most welcoming Church we have ever attended (we have moved 20 times and have always attended Church). I sincerely hope that things will change for you and that you can begin to enjoy TV. If you need a friend, please call me (352-633-0452) and I can give you some restaurants, activities that you may love. Good luck, Sandi
Old 03-03-2020, 07:46 AM

I’m 53 moved here 2 years ago because my husband had a bad day at work (lol). We love it, I am never bored. You can do as much or as little as you want. I still sell real estate, 2 decades now. I love sharing my lifestyle with others. Plenty of opportunities to volunteer. I do Rotary, as I was a Rotarian in my other life. I have ADHD so if I was bored I would bounce off the walls!
Old 03-03-2020, 07:48 AM

Upon retirement back a few years, I was looking at the 45 or 50 hours of a work week and thinking of what I was going to do with those hours after I retired. For me it came relatively easy because of my activities. Bowling, softball and joining clubs. I found out one of the main thing is finding new friends and having activities with those friends. It was scary at first. I read some books of how to retire but, the day to activities worked out great. Here is a quote I heard on television that fits. A body at rest stays at rest and a body active stays active.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:54 AM
Veteran member

We bought a house in a newly finished neighborhood about a year and a half before we could retire and move here. Our main reservation was that the neighbors would have formed a social circle in our absence and we wouldn't be welcomed into it once we moved here. Instead, we were met with open arms by the best neighbors we have ever had (and we had great ones in North Carolina for 20 years before moving here).

A secondary reservation was that we would make some friends that we would lose too soon due to health issues. Sadly, that turned out to be true. We got to be really close to our "back yard" neighbors and after two years of knowing them, they died of separate health issues within a year of each other. It was a double heartbreak for us to lose them both but still a great joy to have known them for the time we did. It will happen again to us and some day we will be the cause of it happening for the friends we've made here. Until then, we are determined to enjoy our friends and where we live as much as possible.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:56 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,862 Times in 785 Posts

One thing that puzzles me is why there aren’t more recreation centers with weight machines, treadmills, elliptical machines, etc. Another thing that puzzles me is why access to these in the four recreation centers that have them costs the equivalent of a dollar a day, use it or not. The many beautiful executive golf courses are covered by the amenity fee, even though they are very expensive to maintain, and even though the majority of people don’t use them. I’d like to see the above fitness equipment in every recreation center, and covered by the amenity fee. Charge for using the exercise classes at the four recreation centers that offer them, just as there is a substantial charge for using the full-size golf courses. A few minutes of exercise with weight machines helps people maintain muscle mass and joint strength in a way that merely walking or playing golf does not. How many people who would benefit from it don’t do it because they don’t want to pay $365 or more a year when they wouldn’t be using any exercise classes or yoga?
Old 03-03-2020, 08:08 AM
Veteran member

My comments in Italics on the post from sharonl7340:

We moved here Oct 2018. We were wowed with all the amenities, but post move we realize we pay for everything (if you want to use the online golf reservation system, then you pay extra). I use the online golf reservation system and don't pay extra. The amenity fee keeps going up. We've owned since mid-2016 and haven't seen any increases in the amenity fee. Everything is crowded during SnowBird season and people are downright rude. In a population this large, there will be rude people but I saw as much or more rudeness every where else I ever lived before retiring and moving here. I can go to any grocery store on any day and see an argument about parking spaces, places in line, well just about everything. I must be wearing rose-colored glasses or something as I just haven't seen this and my wife and I have shopped at multiple grocery locations around The Villages.

The restaurants are terrible and overpriced and it has been much harder to make friends here than I ever anticipated (everyone seems pretty cliquish). For restaurants, "terrible" is in the eye of the beholder. There are restaurants we haven't cared for but it's mostly about our taste in food, just as there we restaurants we didn't care for everywhere else we have lived. Maybe we're not gourmets, but we have found the prices reasonable at the restaurants we frequent; certainly on par with similar level restaurants in other states. Compared to large metropolitan areas, we do find less international cuisine but compared to cities of about the size of The Villages, we find it about on par. We have determined that we may be "too young" to be here. Maybe it is just the neighborhood, but we feel that we are still too young at 57 and 62 to really be here. We were 62 when we moved here and fit right in. My niece was 52 when she moved here and fit right in and loves it. But then we all moved into new neighborhoods and the neighbors were close to our ages. Perhaps you moved into a long-established neighborhood with older residents? That can certainly happen. And one of the things you need to know is that if you choose to move here while you are still working then your activities are really limited as everything happens during daylight hours. I think this is a very valid reservation. We do a LOT here, but as retirees, we have the time now to do it. As my retired brother puts it, "I don't know where I used to find the time to work!" Maybe a retirement community isn't the best place to live for people who are still working full time.

We are still asking ourselves if we made a mistake by coming here, but we need to stay in the house about 3 years to really recoup what we put into it. While I am slowly getting into some activities, it is still difficult to ascertain if we made the correct decision. No place, including The Villages, is going to be perfect for everybody. Some people do move from here to other retirement communities or to non-retirement communities. I wish you good luck on finding your place here or elsewhere.

With all that said, you have to decide what is important to you. Make a list of "must haves" and then decide. Amen to that!
Old 03-03-2020, 08:12 AM

Thank you for such honesty. We have been a few times to visit. We are early 60’s and very active. I have all these same concerns. Don’t want to move then feel it was a mistake. Recently rented for a month. May need to rent for longer for a better feel. Thank you!!!
Old 03-03-2020, 08:29 AM
Thumbs up

Remember this life is what YOU make it. You give some people a gold brick and all they do is bitch that it's heavy.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B767drvr View Post
A small handful of years away from retirement (or one bad day at work!)... Curious for a perspective from newcomers, or actually any villager I suppose, how your pre-move mental reservations about life in TV lined up with what you've experienced after moving? Is it what you thought or hoped for? Were your mental "reservations" confirmed or proven otherwise?

"Our" perspective would be from a mid 50's couple... healthy, active, very social, love to travel the world. MY personal retirement FEAR is boredom, and not living a full, active life in retirement. We'd both like to keep busy and give back /volunteer where and when able. (No grands yet as our kids are only in their early 20's.)

We appreciate any insight anyone would care to share. Thanks...
TV is not where you come to retire but to enjoy your golden years;you can relax & do nothing or do everything. It's your option. Many retirement communities, you don't have that option. The number of things you can do in TV are unlimited. Just come and enjoy and relax.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:34 AM

It would be impossible to disagree more with this person than I do. We moved here when I was 54---no issues at all. The one thing I would note---leave your ego at the door when you move to the Villages. Many people had big jobs, important jobs, lots of responsibility. No one wants to hear about your exploits in the state where you lived. Get along. Be happy. Integrate into your new community.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonl7340 View Post
We moved here Oct 2018. We were wowed with all the amenities, but post move we realize we pay for everything (if you want to use the online golf reservation system, then you pay extra). The amenity fee keeps going up. Everything is crowded during SnowBird season and people are downright rude. I can go to any grocery store on any day and see an argument about parking spaces, places in line, well just about everything.

The restaurants are terrible and overpriced and it has been much harder to make friends here than I ever anticipated (everyone seems pretty cliquish). We have determined that we may be "too young" to be here. Maybe it is just the neighborhood, but we feel that we are still too young at 57 and 62 to really be here. And one of the things you need to know is that if you choose to move here while you are still working then your activities are really limited as everything happens during daylight hours.

We are still asking ourselves if we made a mistake by coming here, but we need to stay in the house about 3 years to really recoup what we put into it. While I am slowly getting into some activities, it is still difficult to ascertain if we made the correct decision.

With all that said, you have to decide what is important to you. Make a list of "must haves" and then decide.
We're 58 and 60, here. I work afternoons. I can still get to the archery range for an hour's practice in the morning, and get home before dark, clean up and enjoy some dancing in the square.

The restaurants aren't "bad," but they're pretty typical strip-mall restaurants. Somewhat overpriced IMO but we don't have to eat there every day - I still know my way around a stovetop.

You don't HAVE to do online tee times. You can use the old fashioned clunky version of getting tee times - call them on the phone, or you can even just show up and see if they can fit you in with a 2-some going out (not recommended but it's still an option).

Snowbird season IS much more crowded, but that's to be expected in a state that gets most of its revenue from tourism and related taxes. If you think this is bad, you should've seen the A1A in Ft. Lauderdale back in the 80's during winter recess and spring break. Fuggedaboudit.

I don't see fighting for spaces, ever. I'm sure it happens, but I don't ever see it. And I -work- in one of those stores during mid-day, so have to actually be in those parking lots during peak time. There are lots of spaces - just some folks don't want to walk an extra 20 steps and circle around looking for the closest one. Meanwhile, they would've gotten their take-out and been driving away if they'd just parked away from everyone else and walked. MOST Villagers are able-bodied and don't have any particular "need" to be close to the entrance. So while I do see clustering around the parking aisle closest to the doors of any given store, I don't see any fights, space-wars, yelling people, horn blowing, bird-flipping, or anything closely resembling an argument about a parking space.

If you're from the boondocks where your next door neighbor is a mile away and the entire town of 400 people gather the second tuesday of the month for target contests at the shooting range, then yeah this is gonna be WAY too crowded for you.

But if you've ever lived in the burbs and have gone on summer vacation to Florida during any of your 12 grade school years, it's a cake-walk.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:01 AM
Veteran member

My fear was that I would have bugs in my house in Florida. Did not happen because the pest control here is good.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choro&Swing View Post
One thing that puzzles me is why there aren’t more recreation centers with weight machines, treadmills, elliptical machines, etc. Another thing that puzzles me is why access to these in the four recreation centers that have them costs the equivalent of a dollar a day, use it or not. The many beautiful executive golf courses are covered by the amenity fee, even though they are very expensive to maintain, and even though the majority of people don’t use them. I’d like to see the above fitness equipment in every recreation center, and covered by the amenity fee. Charge for using the exercise classes at the four recreation centers that offer them, just as there is a substantial charge for using the full-size golf courses. A few minutes of exercise with weight machines helps people maintain muscle mass and joint strength in a way that merely walking or playing golf does not. How many people who would benefit from it don’t do it because they don’t want to pay $365 or more a year when they wouldn’t be using any exercise classes or yoga?
Paradise has a fitness area that doesn't cost anything extra. However, it is an outdoor fitness area - it has all body-weight machines with no bulky heavy disks to lift or settings to set, no one needed to wash/sanitize the floor mats or windows or mirrors, because there are none of those things.

In an actual gym, you need qualified instructors to make sure that people using the machines know how to do it correctly (once they learn how, then whether or not they apply the instruction is up to them). You also need more maintenance on those machines because there are MANY more parts (such as cables) that can break and need repair/replacement. On the outdoor machines, they're all just weather-coated metal and rubber grip handles. No cables, no pullies, no weights, no settings.

That's why gyms have to cost extra.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulUnderwood View Post
Remember this life is what YOU make it. You give some people a gold brick and all they do is bitch that it's heavy.
Is it O.K. with you if I use your line? That saying just about wrap's up 90% of the concerns that most people have.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulUnderwood View Post
Outstanding!!!!

Closed Thread

Tags
mental, retirement, reservations, life, perspective

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.