Merill Lynch advice

Closed Thread
Old 11-29-2021, 03:42 PM

My addition to all this good advice, take time to read Paul Merriman’s 3 FREE ebooks.

1. First-Time Investor
2. 101 Investment Decisions
3. Get Smart or Get Screwed (read this first!)

Found at paulmerriman.com
Old 11-29-2021, 05:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

My financial advisor is Mr Vanguard Index Funds I’ve covered much of the market and have been dollar cost averaging for 20 years , I hardly look more then once a month when statements come in no worries , no calls , no complaints
Old 11-29-2021, 05:34 PM
Default Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
Anthony Gould (The Palmer Group 352-350-2706). A young man (so he'll be around a long time).
When we were first married I had a Merrill Lynch advisor, he lost me so much money I swore I would never use them again.
Anthony was giving talks about social security at the Village school and I attended. I was so impressed that I decided to trust him with a small amount of my portfolio. That was 6-7 years ago. Now his maintains 90% of it (the rest I play with).
We use Anthony at Palmer Group also, for almost four years now.

Be aware they take a percentage of your investment yearly and do not charge for trades. Thus, they make more money as your Investment grows. Just be aware of yearly cost vs pay to trade format.
Old 11-29-2021, 05:38 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Nothing. More than paid hand holders. The fees belong in your pocket
Old 11-30-2021, 01:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

There’s a Merrill Lynch office in Lake Sumter Landing.

If you have a ML advisor you like and trust, talk to him or her about continuing your relationship using the Merrill Lynch app and phone. I’ve had my advisor, whose office is in Northbrook IL for almost thirty years. He now spends about half time at his home in east-central Florida. I still call his office in Northbrook and if he’s in FL his assistant just puts me thru to him here. Unless I ask, I don’t know whether he’s”up north” or here in Florida. He’s told me he has a better setup of computers, screens and software here in FL than he has in IL.

One other suggestion I might make is to do your regular banking with Bank of America. B of A owns Merrill Lynch and has imbedded commercial banking officers in most of the ML groups or smaller offices. My commercial banker sits in an office down the hall from my ML financial advisor. When I have a banking question I just call her—no 800 numbers and long waits, etc. In addition, if you concentrate all your financial advisory, banking and credit cards with BofA, the credit card rebates and other programs are MUCH more generous than if you keep everything separate and with different financial institutions.

I’m actually a retired JPMorganChase officer and I’ve now actually closed my checking account with JPMC and concentrated all my banking in one office up in Northbrook, even though we live full time in The Villages.

One other advantage is that when (not if) your trustee or relative has to manage or settle your estate, they have only one number to call to deal with all your financial affairs. Having performed that task for my parents, that is a HUGE advantage.
Old 11-30-2021, 01:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

I haven’t visited a bank to deposit a check in years. All banks have an app that permits you to take a picture of the front side and the endorsement side of the check and make your deposits from the comfort of your home. If you need to make a deposit from one of your own accounts to another, write a check to yourself, endorse it, use the banking app to make the deposit and again, you’ve moved money from one account to another from the comfort of your home with no deposit or wire transfer fees. Easy peazey.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:54 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

Warren Buffett has been handling much of my portfolio for many years and has done quite well of course. It has been nice to have someone much smarter than I am invest for me. I started investing in BRK in the 1980s. Some of my portfolio is now in index funds and ETFs at Vanguard and Schwab. I love REITs and have owned them for years, picking up some for pennies on the dollar of their actual worth during the big dip @ 2009. (CUBE hit 2.02, I got some 2.5-2.6; it is now @54 and has paid dividends all along). I have been my own financial advisor and am happy with the results. I see no need to let somebody skim 1% off my investment value every year for any reason.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 11-30-2021, 12:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Our guy in Michigan handles our day to day. However when we need to deposit large checks in TV it’s a bit*** to wire it or send check back to Michigan. He suggested we set up a base savings with ML, in TV, then monies can be deposited local, and moved when needed. With today’s issues, he felt it best to deal local. Our guy could only recommend someone in Tampa, which is farther than I wanted to drive.
Obviously a complex issue. Your guy in Michigan should advise you. "A large check," it is an out of state check. A bit of a hot potato for anyone to cash that check and wire the money for you particularly if you do not have a bank account more than the check amount. Merrill Lynch where you have your account can probably help you. Since you already have an account there, should the check bounce they will deduct the amount from your account.
Probably there is a high fee should it bounce.
You don't need a particular person, just copy the check and get a receipt. When you can use those funds, I'm sure they can tell you. It will not be immediate. Whoever is issuing the check can wire the money to your account. The money is immediately removed from their account Not sure if you would want to do that, bother them? Give them you account number? There is likely a fee.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
Obviously a complex issue. Your guy in Michigan should advise you. "A large check," it is an out of state check. A bit of a hot potato for anyone to cash that check and wire the money for you particularly if you do not have a bank account more than the check amount. Merrill Lynch where you have your account can probably help you. Since you already have an account there, should the check bounce they will deduct the amount from your account.
Probably there is a high fee should it bounce.
You don't need a particular person, just copy the check and get a receipt. When you can use those funds, I'm sure they can tell you. It will not be immediate. Whoever is issuing the check can wire the money to your account. The money is immediately removed from their account Not sure if you would want to do that, bother them? Give them you account number? There is likely a fee.
Not a concern if monies are coming from a bank. If you use citizens wire fee is pretty ugly.

Last edited by asianthree; 12-01-2021 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:33 AM
Sage

We use Merrill Lynch in LSL. Very nice people, very happy to take the check deposit, with no issues. We discussed depositing in our BOA, then transfer to ML. Their recommendations direct to Merrill Lynch account, less paperless trail, for accountant.

BOA savings account manager in TV also suggested when you have both accounts, it’s better to direct deposit, than have to do a transfer.

We moved monies from different jobs so only one account, as each check came, we walked it to Merrill Lynch.

Last edited by asianthree; 12-01-2021 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-01-2021, 01:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
That was back in the early 70s, we were young and no one taught us about stocks.
Huh? Math escapes many. If you have a million 1,000,000 and you make 10% one year, you have 11000,000 if you lose 10% the next year you have 990000. HUH 10,000 vanished.
The math is the same no matter what you have a dollar or a trillion whatever a trillion is.

Too many forget 1+1=2. Stock gains is in reality after taxes and inflation. With the CPI at 6.2%. I need to make roughly 9% to be even.
Old 12-01-2021, 01:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Not a concern monies are coming from a bank. If you use citizens wire fee is pretty ugly.
I've never used them. Frankly I've not wired money in years. Not sure how I did it. Perhaps from a brokerage? The fee was either zero or not much.

The original poster said large check. I don't know what that means-LARGE. So many options. Here it is an out of state check and will take time to clear. If, I recall it is like 10 days. Should it bounce the bank will charge your account, even after the ten days.
I had that happen. If the original poster does not have an account equal to the check amount. It gets more difficult. Reason I suggested they go to the local Merrill Lynch office.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:48 PM
Location: Caroline, Norwalk OH, Federal Way, WA. Stamford, CT. Tuscarora, PA

Clay Palmer. Lake Sumter Landing office.
Old 12-03-2021, 03:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
I've never used them. Frankly I've not wired money in years. Not sure how I did it. Perhaps from a brokerage? The fee was either zero or not much.

The original poster said large check. I don't know what that means-LARGE. So many options. Here it is an out of state check and will take time to clear. If, I recall it is like 10 days. Should it bounce the bank will charge your account, even after the ten days.
I had that happen. If the original poster does not have an account equal to the check amount. It gets more difficult. Reason I suggested they go to the local Merrill Lynch office.
Guessing OP is either selling a home, or transferring from different financial group, post didn’t mention personal checks. Any check from either is most likely coming from an out of state bank. Out of all the checks we have deposited to Merrill, all were out of state. Took 12 to 48 hours to clear depending on the day.

One can’t draw off the deposit until your financial institution clears the check. You personal money isn’t effected. Either way if check isn’t good, neither is the financial institution their dealing with.

Thinking when they say large deposits, $50,000 and up comes to mind.

Last edited by asianthree; 12-04-2021 at 06:39 AM.
Old 01-09-2022, 07:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Thanks everyone for the recommendation for ML in Lake Sumter. Good to get first hand advice from actual customers.

Office was very friendly, made copies of the check for our account, answered couple of questions we had. Offered to help if we needed to transfer anything to different account if needed.

Our guy in Michigan is retiring in December, so good time to find an advisor in Florida. Then again if I can convince our Michigan guy to leave the snow, move here, it would be a win win for both
Closed Thread

Tags
lynch, advice, merrill, advisor, merill

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.