A message about aging

Closed Thread
Old 12-30-2013, 03:42 PM
Sage

This is my first winter in TV and I would never go back to the northeast during the winter months. It would have to be a very special occasion to do so, and I would be looking to get back to TV ASAP!!!

Fortunately, my son is in Florida, so moving north would not be option for me.

It has been 15 degrees higher than the normal temps, in Florida, this year, Shorts, t-shirt and sandals are the only way to live for me.

I think you may have starting, way too early, worrying, what will happen in the long term future. I would wait to see what my options would be, if only a few years, from the day you have to decide, whether you move closer to your children. For all you know, they may have moved to Florida by then.

"Man plans, GOD laughs" is a good saying, for something that is out of our control. It's too far away, to start worrying about it now. IMHO

I would wait, to make a decision with all the facts at the time, it needs to be made, and say, "this is the best I can do, and let it go".

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 12-30-2013, 06:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrieb View Post
For people who live up North - (and are retired) - normally stay indoors during the cold months (Dec - Mar) and only going out when they have to. Why? Because it is too cold. In the spring, summer and fall months, (April - October/November), there are all kinds of activity going on in some of the Northern states where the temperatures are manageable. People come outside for these months.

In Florida, most people (who are retired), stay inside during the hot months - (usually July - August - September) and only come out when they have to. Why? Because it is too hot and muggy. The rest of the months are usually either bearable or very comfortable. So most people come outside when it is a comfortable temperature. Just like the Northern states, you adjust for the temperature and if you want to mess with the snow and ick.

So it is a matter of location and preference what people do during certain months of the year because of the weather. If you are fully retired, then you don't really need a "daily planner" of your things to do. You let the weather decide for you. At least that is how I see it. Go with the flow.
It's unsettling to think about our eventual decline, but I don't think it is ever too soon to speculate about the "What Ifs". A long life isn't promised to any of us. (Oh yikes, sorry if that's a negative thought).

Terrie, thanks for your interesting perspective. I hadn't really thought about the logistics of staying indoors when it's cold up north, versus staying indoors when it's hot down south.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:22 PM

This is the best string I have ever read on this site. All of the comments were insightful, intelligent, enlightening, and just plain well done.
We moved here from Maine just over a year ago and we still feel like every day is like a vacation day. We are very fortunate that our daughter and grandson also moved down here and live close by. Someday we hope that our son and daughter-in-law will join us. They are certainly thinking about it.
Even without the kids, we have decided that this is the place we intend to be to the rest of our lives. We are "frogs" - here until we croak.
We have a new "family" here. We have a neighborhood full of caring and thoughtful people. Everyone looks out for everyone. I could go across the street or next door to ask for anything, and I know they would help. I can't imagine any "blood relatives" being more attentive and concerned about the well being of others.
We absolutely love the climate here. We don't miss the ice, the cold, and the snow. And despite all of the warnings of our friends up north - the summer here was not bad at all. In fact, we loved it.
For us, the feeling of home is people, not location or climate.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:54 AM
Platinum member
Cool

It's something we discuss from time to time, although the thought
doesn't thrill me at all.
I think about it more if my DH were to go before me would I stay here?

One thing I don't have to worry about is being alive when my
Son retires!
Old 12-31-2013, 11:16 AM

I am also from Maine and lived there from birth until I moved here six years ago. I cannot imagine going back into the cold and snow. For me winter was way to long and around February I'd have awful cabin fever.

I am in the best possible shape I've ever been in because of my lifestyle here. In Maine I was virtually inside most of the winter because it was just too cold to do anything. Here, I can run all year long, even in the hot summer months. I just go out early or later in the evening. In Maine, it could be dangerous because of the ice to do so during the winter months. So every Spring it was a chore to rid myself of the winter weight gain and start all over again. Here I've been able to maintain my fitness level all year long without interruption that a cold climate brings.

Now, if I can just convince my three sons and grandchildren to move here, my life would be complete.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.