Met First Person to Move to the Villages...

Closed Thread
Old 02-13-2018, 02:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,317 Times in 2,054 Posts
Default Met First Person to Move to the Villages...

...today. She was a friend of Harold Schwartz who persuaded her to move here. This is what she told me anyway. No one here when she moved. She said she was from "the District". I guess that is what they called it at the beginning.

Villages' founder dies at 93 - News - Ocala.com - Ocala, FL

Must be kind of hard to pin down just who was the first person here in the Villages.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

I met someone in NH who said her brother was the first person to build a house here!!!! Said Harold sent a limo to the airport to pick them up. Also told me the first house sold for $50K. How many more out there?????

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 02-13-2018, 03:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I met someone in NH who said her brother was the first person to build a house here!!!! Said Harold sent a limo to the airport to pick them up. Also told me the first house sold for $50K. How many more out there?????
That is interesting. This woman was just someone I met for the first time who had a caretaker along. She likes to check out the dogs and watch them run at one of the Villages' area dog parks. I go to a lot of these.

She is of about the right age to be one of the pioneers who moved here from up North.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 02-14-2018 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:49 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I’ve met two that were here before Harold Schwartz turned Orange Blossom into The Villages. They got some really sweet incentives to not move — free ComCast and free garbage as long as they didn’t move.

Getting limo rides to TV was pretty common when I first moved here, especially for lifestyle visits. Ditto free movie passes, Villages’ bucks to spend in local restaurants and shops, etc. Free furniture or upgrades on new purchases. Those were the days.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-14-2018, 07:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I'm surprised to hear that the first house went for $50,000. I've seen advertising from the early days with houses selling in the $15,000 range.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I'm surprised to hear that the first house went for $50,000. I've seen advertising from the early days with houses selling in the $15,000 range.
I agree.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I agree.
I will try to get more information from this lady if I see her again. She does not travel on any schedule. She lives up in the Historical Section. She could be on Talk of the Villages.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:17 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

Purchase records surely exist at the county clerk’s office or at whatever record storage means is used in Florida for real estate sales. Might be able to do a database search on computer. BTW Andrew Blechman interviewed a very long time resident and shared the mans comments and observations of the early days of TV in his book, “Leisureville”.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 02-14-2018, 08:52 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post

Do you have a link for the early days advertising? I also find the $50k price high for original 1980s pricing.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:09 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
BTW Andrew Blechman interviewed a very long time resident and shared the mans comments and observations of the early days of TV in his book, “Leisureville”.
You don't own a home or live here right? If you did you'd know that Andrew Blechman and his book are full of it.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
You don't own a home or live here right? If you did you'd know that Andrew Blechman and his book are full of it.
He obviously had an agenda; he had an anti senior living communities bias. However he did a fantastic job of gathering historical and current facts about 55 and over communities, in particular TV.

Another wonderful resource is “From Sun Cities to The Villages” by Judith Ann Trolander. BTW I would have chosen to move to TV over any other 55 and over community several years ago but cannot due to the health issues of an adult child. TV is my numero uno choice without question, warts and all.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 02-14-2018, 10:12 PM
Platinum member

He had an anti senior living communities bias.

However he did a fantastic job of gathering historical and current facts about 55 and over communities, in particular TV.

Lets see, guy with anti senior living communities bias does a fantastic job gathering data about senior communities.

Okay then....
Old 02-14-2018, 10:18 PM
Sage

Facts are facts. He gathered them. I ignored his anti senior communities blather and hugely benefited from the facts he presented. Separated the wheat from the chaff.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Facts are facts. He gathered them. I ignored his anti senior communities blather and hugely benefited from the facts he presented. Separated the wheat from the chaff.
His book Leisureville is good source of information about the Villages in the last two weeks of 2005. That is when he was here. I have written him a few times to look at Talk of the Villages to get a better idea of the Villages such as it is whenever I e-mailed him.

He seems to want the grandparents to be taking care of their grandkids and staying in the communities where they worked and raised kids. Seniors deserve their day in the sun and away from the snow shoveling and baby-sitting.

They do an awful lot for the community here in the Villages.

He also sexed up the Villages. Maybe I am in the wrong neighborhood but not much happens here except for loving relationships between married or committed partners. I have run across an occasional swinger so to speak but he actually got bored with the Villages and moved to St Petersburg.

Of course, there are those rowdy stories in the newspaper-- Sex on the Square and those -- but a community of this size will have some things like this going on and when they do they seem to even make the newspapers in France and Great Britain as well as Australia.

He does present good information about the government of the Villages, the developers' role, and the early history of the Villages. It is very good with the beginning of the Villages.

His book on pigeons is quite good.

Maybe, I should send him another e-mail. Andrew D. Blechman - author of LEISUREVILLE and PIGEONS

Andrew D. Blechman - author of LEISUREVILLE and PIGEONS

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 02-15-2018 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:05 AM
Veteran member

I had a copy of a magazine with the Original Ad for The Villages. 1971 and it said, Orange Blossom Hills, Gateway to Disney. It also listed 15 models homes for $15,000. Mentioned underground utilities, pool and golf.
Closed Thread

Tags
move, moved, beginning, called, guess

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.