Metal Roof

Closed Thread
Old 01-26-2020, 11:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,027 Times in 2,726 Posts
Default Metal Roof

Our asphalt shingles are starting to age and I suspect we will need a new roof within 5 years. The idea of putting on a roof that we will never have to worry about replacing again during our lifetime is very appealing. Being from New England, we see metal roofs everywhere up North because the snow slides off the roof and ice dams are not an issue, which is obviously not a concern in Florida. Metal roofs in Florida appear to be few and far between. Our Villages home is in CDD1 and I have seen a few homes in our district with metal roofs, so my assumption is that they are allowed per deed restrictions, but I still need to do some research to confirm this.

I started this thread as an information gathering idea to see if others have researched metal roofs and/or actually had one installed. A random list of questions I have is as follows:

Does anyone know if they are allowed per deed restrictions? Does anyone know an estimated cost per square foot of metal roofing versus high quality asphalt shingles? Is there any particular reason(s) that there are not a lot of metal roofs in Florida, such as climate and heat gathered from the sun? Does anyone know of roofing contractors serving the Villages that specialize in metal roofing? We have solar blankets on our roof for heating our pool, can solar blankets be used as effectively on a metal roof as an asphalt roof? Is anyone aware of any other reasons why I should or should not consider a metal roof?

Thanks in advance for any informative replies
Old 01-26-2020, 12:01 PM
Sage

Regarding whether they are allowed -- better call or visit ARC for the answer as it applies to YOUR home. Below is an article from the online news site.

ARC member makes case for metal roofs on homes in The Villages
By Meta Minton - November 9, 2018

An Architectural Review Committee member is making the case for metal roofs on homes in The Villages.

Cary Sternberg, who said he was speaking as a Villages resident and not necessarily as a member of the ARC, addressed the topic Friday afternoon before the Community Development District 4 Board of Supervisors.

Sternberg, who lives in CDD 4, said metal roofs can act as a solar device, keeping homes cooler and cutting down on the need for electricity.

“The IRS recognizes it as a tax credit for energy efficiency,” Sternberg said.

He predicted that the Developer will likely start putting metal roofs on new homes. “Any time the Developer does something, people see it and want to do it, too,” Sternberg said.

Deborah Tripp, of the Village of Chatham put a metal roof on her home at 17384 SE 72nd Deer Run Avenue. Now she’s fighting to keep her metal roof after a complaint was lodged with Community Standards. Metal roofs are not currently permitted.

Her case had been going on since June.

CDD 4 took no action on metal roofs, but the topic is likely to show up on a future agenda.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,088 Times in 2,230 Posts

OP, there was a comment some time ago that metal roofs that LOOK like shingles were being allowed, as noted above call ARC and ask if there has been any consideration for this type of metal roof. It is way to early to get permission, as I recall ARC approval is only good for 6 months prior to the start of construction. I would be interested in what you find, as I will be looking into the metal roof also in about 9 years. Good luck with your quest.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,159 Times in 1,921 Posts

I've never been in a home with a metal roof but I would imagine it would be very loud when it rains. Anyone know about that?
Old 01-27-2020, 12:32 PM

I recently moved out of my house in The Villages, but only about 14 miles away. The house I’m in now is 31 years old and I had a four-point inspection done that states the roof is estimated to be good for another 19 years (50-year life). I had a heck of a time trying to get any insurance company to write my homeowner’s insurance due to the roof. They all state they only accept a roof less than 25 years old. My agent found one company that would write it, but for substantially higher premium than any other quotes before they found the age of the roof. You may want to take this into consideration.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:20 PM
Gold member

Look around, most all mail stations and Rec Centers have metal roofs.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 01-27-2020, 01:46 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,323 Times in 1,439 Posts

Don't forget that they will burn the feet of the birds that want to land up there and yes they are noisy, we lived in a development that had all cedar shake roofs and replacements were finally allowed to be metal that looks like shakes, those that chose them deeply regretted it later.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:00 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,103 Times in 1,336 Posts

No better sleeping than under a metal roof in the rain.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:20 AM
Sage

Metal roofs also, impact cell phone reception, have a buddy in Fruitland Pk, his phone reception is very spotty
Old 01-29-2020, 10:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,748 Times in 1,385 Posts

We have had metal roofs put on past homes. Most applications are to replace existing roofs which are over the same construction and insulation.
Sound inside the living space was/is no different.

On the screened porch where there was no insulation one will hear the pleasant/soothing sound of the rain.

To each his own.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:17 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
Regarding whether they are allowed -- better call or visit ARC for the answer as it applies to YOUR home. Below is an article from the online news site.

ARC member makes case for metal roofs on homes in The Villages
By Meta Minton - November 9, 2018

An Architectural Review Committee member is making the case for metal roofs on homes in The Villages.

Cary Sternberg, who said he was speaking as a Villages resident and not necessarily as a member of the ARC, addressed the topic Friday afternoon before the Community Development District 4 Board of Supervisors.

Sternberg, who lives in CDD 4, said metal roofs can act as a solar device, keeping homes cooler and cutting down on the need for electricity.

“The IRS recognizes it as a tax credit for energy efficiency,” Sternberg said.

He predicted that the Developer will likely start putting metal roofs on new homes. “Any time the Developer does something, people see it and want to do it, too,” Sternberg said.

Deborah Tripp, of the Village of Chatham put a metal roof on her home at 17384 SE 72nd Deer Run Avenue. Now she’s fighting to keep her metal roof after a complaint was lodged with Community Standards. Metal roofs are not currently permitted.

Her case had been going on since June.

CDD 4 took no action on metal roofs, but the topic is likely to show up on a future agenda.
Debbie Trippe did win her case. I would still get prior approval.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:07 AM
Default some issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Metal roofs also, impact cell phone reception, have a buddy in Fruitland Pk, his phone reception is very spotty
metal roof up north...verizon signal impacted,,,put in verizon cell phone signal booster and it now works great my neighbor with metal roof uses wfi setting on iphone no issues i changed my settings.......
many advantages to metal roof safer/heat reflecting/ac and heat savings/highly recommend
Old 01-30-2020, 05:38 PM

I have a Villa/Town home (two story) purchased from the Villages in 2008. There are 47 two and three story Villas in my Assoc. there are several tile, and several. metal roofs as well as asphalt roofs. All the asphalt shingle roofs have been or are in the process of being replaced at this time. Original construction was in 1998. There are several Metal Roofs and they should be good for another 25 or 30 years.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,027 Times in 2,726 Posts

Original Poster here, this is what I have learned after discussions with an Architectural Review Committee representative. Metal roofs on residential homes are few and far between in the Villages. The deed restrictions are very vague in all districts regarding metal roofs. In general, one does not need ARC approval to replace asphalt with asphalt, but one does need approval to replace asphalt with metal. One can not get an answer as simple as, yes, you can replace your roof with a metal roof. Each application is reviewed on an individual basis and some are approved and others are denied (a best guess is that about only half are accepted). Factors that will be considered and should be put into the application include the new roof being in line with the character with the existing neighborhood. That includes both the color and design of the metal roof. Roofs with a faux shingle look that are the same or similar color as surrounding roofs will have a much better chance than an off color roof with vertical seems. I was also told that a home in an older district, where the homes are already less homogeneous, would probably have a better chance of a metal roof not being considered out of character with the existing neighborhood. Also, anything included in the application that demonstrates that a metal roof would increase the homes energy efficiency would go a long way toward approval. This makes it very difficult for both homeowners, as well as roofing contractors, since it takes lots of research and time getting bids on roof replacement before the homeowner can make an educated decision and an application can be submitted, all without knowing if it will ultimately be approved.

I also contacted T&D to see if the solar blankets on the existing roof, for heating our pool, could be transferred to a metal roof. They told me they did not put solar on metal roofs. I suspect that if enough people had metal roofs they would do it, but they are so rare it is not worth their effort to learn this process and train their installers for something they will seldom do.

So it looks like I am going to cross out the idea of replacing our asphalt roof with metal. This kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth considering many of the non-residential buildings in the Villages, such as postal stations, Rec. Centers, and buildings rented for commercial use already have metal roofs. The developers are not stupid, they know that metal roofs are a more cost effective investment in the long run, but they don't put them on homes since it would increase the price of new homes and or cut into their profit margins. I don't blame them for putting asphalt on new homes, but if existing homeowners want to replace their roof with a better but more expensive roof, they should be able to. I certainly understand that it would not be right to allow homeowners to put on a bright orange or pink metal roof, but an acceptable color and design should be spelled out in the deed restrictions. Oh Well, Live and Learn I guess?
Old 01-30-2020, 08:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,426 Times in 3,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I've never been in a home with a metal roof but I would imagine it would be very loud when it rains. Anyone know about that?
It's not. Our home in the Historic section has a metal roof. I was actually pleasantly surprised when we had that rain storm a couple weeks ago, and it didn't traumatize me or the cat. It was mostly a nothingburger.

Obviously metal roofs are allowed in the Villages, in general - since most of the homes in the old section have them. Whether your particular section of the villages allows them, would depend on your particular section.

But it's important to understand they -do- eventually need to get replaced. They get dinged and dented by debris and branches, pitted from bird poop and sap. They'll last a good long time but they won't look new forever.
Closed Thread

Tags
metal, roof, roofs, florida, roofing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.