Mine Blasts - can you feel them?

Closed Thread
Old 12-16-2019, 10:08 AM
Default Train whistles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget Eichaker View Post
Don’t trust a real estate broker especially if they work for TV there objective is to sell homes which I understand. Go to the area you want to buy a home and ask several homeowners
We had a realtor who said to us, What trains? She wanted to show us a house close to 301 and the train tracks. Didn’t need to hear train whistles in the middle of the night. We got rid of that lying realtor and bought a house that was “for sale by owner”. Very satisfied with our home.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:19 AM
Michael Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter777 View Post
Just curious if those in Marsh Bend feel any vibrations at all from the mine blasts felt in Fenney, DeSota, McClure. I have spoken to someone from Linden and they feel them (not sure how strong), but wondering if those across 468/Warm Springs do. Friends of mine are considering a home in Marsh Bend, or maybe the new area of DeLuna, and are wondering if they’re felt over there. I spoke with a realtor who said he had clients who bought a really pricey house from him in Marsh Bend and said they don’t feel them. He said for the price they paid ‘if they felt them, trust me, they would let me know!’. But would rather hear directly from a resident than a realtor! Thank you!
About the blasts from the mine or quarry. We have been here in McClure since April 1, 2019. I'm not sure if any other area that this is being observed. The first blast really rocked hard and we sort of panicked as do most if unaware of the culprit. It happens every 4 weeks or so and many folks haven't heard or felt it as perhaps they simply weren't home at that particular time. We do feel it and it does rattle the house for a moment. No damage to our house yet. If there was any significant damages around the area, we would all have heard about it. Believe you me (as my mother always said)
Old 12-16-2019, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mase4 View Post
I lived near a similar mine in Pennsylvania. They had an Open house once, we saw a map of where their tunnels were. They extend miles underground, they were under the city in all directions, about a mile down. I would assume the same here. How many tunnels are under your home,
Old 12-16-2019, 10:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mase4 View Post
I lived near a similar mine in Pennsylvania. They had an Open house once, we saw a map of where their tunnels were. They extend miles underground, they were under the city in all directions, about a mile down. I would assume the same here. How many tunnels are under your home,
Your assumption is wrong. There are zero tunnels. It is an open quarry.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:59 AM

In McClure since August and have felt it twice it feels like a large truck passing your house.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Just curious if those in Marsh Bend feel any vibrations at all from the mine blasts felt in Fenney, DeSota, McClure. I have spoken to someone from Linden and they feel them (not sure how strong), but wondering if those across 468/Warm Springs do. Friends of mine are considering a home in Marsh Bend, or maybe the new area of DeLuna, and are wondering if they’re felt over there. I spoke with a realtor who said he had clients who bought a really pricey house from him in Marsh Bend and said they don’t feel them. He said for the price they paid ‘if they felt them, trust me, they would let me know!’. But would rather hear directly from a resident than a realtor! Thank you!
Are you sure they're Mine Blast & not the miltiary base dropping bombs, northeast of TV. They do that quite often! They've been doing that for quite a few yrs. now. Never knew anybody Mined anymore. Around TV anyway!
Old 12-16-2019, 11:47 AM

We are in Amelia and occasionally hear bombing from NAS bombing range in Ocala Nalt Forest.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Dixie Lime & Stone Co Sumterville Quarry

HOME - Dixie Lime & Stone Co.

The Villages Florida
Old 12-16-2019, 04:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Are you sure they're Mine Blast & not the miltiary base dropping bombs, northeast of TV. They do that quite often! They've been doing that for quite a few yrs. now. Never knew anybody Mined anymore. Around TV anyway!
Looking at the map, the Pinecastle Impact Range straight line distance is about 25 miles NE of Spanish Springs and from Fenney it's about 35 miles or more. The Dixie Quarry is less than 1/2 mile from Fenney, I would guess it's the quarry.

Here's a link to a map. Top of the map is Fenney, lower right is Coleman Federal Prison and lower left is Dixie Quarry.

Google Maps

From first hand experience, before moving here I lived 13 years eight miles from Aberdeen Proving Ground and Edgewood Arsenal in Maryland, and when they exploded bombs, you felt the entire house shake. I eventually got use to it, but only if you were inside did you notice. I played golf many times on APG and never heard anything. It's like an earthquake, people die from the buildings, not the quake.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
Old 12-16-2019, 04:46 PM

We’ve lived in Linden since August 2019 and have never heard or felt anything from the quarry/mine.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Just a thought .... Ever think of " Sink Holes " down the road? They are silent as in Calumet Grove and ...............

Then " If " I had only known...Ba Bye
Old 12-16-2019, 10:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill View Post
We’ve lived in Linden since August 2019 and have never heard or felt anything from the quarry/mine.
Don’t know how much the quarry blast or how much explosives they use but I do know the military base drops bombs big enough to rattle the house. Maybe it is the quarry. The military will announce when they’re going to do bomb runs. Don’t know if the quarry warns TV ahead of time or not. Keep your ears open & next time you’ll know which one it is. Oh well, it’s not a big deal or they wouldn’t do it!
Old 12-16-2019, 10:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,882 Times in 2,428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
Just a thought .... Ever think of " Sink Holes " down the road? They are silent as in Calumet Grove and ...............

Then " If " I had only known...Ba Bye
Most likely sinkhole around here are man made. If the land wasn’t disturbed with under ground plumbing that leaks the sinkhole probably never would of happened.
Old 12-17-2019, 03:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Charles View Post
About the blasts from the mine or quarry. We have been here in McClure since April 1, 2019. I'm not sure if any other area that this is being observed. The first blast really rocked hard and we sort of panicked as do most if unaware of the culprit. It happens every 4 weeks or so and many folks haven't heard or felt it as perhaps they simply weren't home at that particular time. We do feel it and it does rattle the house for a moment. No damage to our house yet. If there was any significant damages around the area, we would all have heard about it. Believe you me (as my mother always said)
Just wondering......can these blasts disturb the foundation of the home.? What about hairline cracks you would not be able to see under flooring? I would think tile might crack too. This is not a good situation.

Last edited by coffeebean; 02-22-2020 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-17-2019, 03:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Just wondering......can these blasts disturb the foundation of the home. What about hairline cracks you would not be able to see under flooring? I would think tile might crack too. This is not a good situation.
Not a good situation? Just what is it you propose or are you just stirring the pot?

Tags
feel, mine, bend, marsh, felt

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.