Closing up lanai for the Summer

Closed Thread
Old 05-02-2021, 12:52 PM
Veteran member
Default Closing up lanai for the Summer

Any issues with a lanai that is closed up without ventilation for the summer months? We recently had our small screened lanai closed with windows. Northern exposure, so no direct sunlight. If we close all the windows and the sliders to the lanai, any problems? There would be no a/c or air circulation if we do that. Or should we leave the sliders open to the lanai slightly?
Old 05-02-2021, 01:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Good question. Mold would be the main problem. I think you need some air circulation. But no experience with the problem.
Old 05-02-2021, 02:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

We brought the tv in as well as all the cushions. The furniture is the wicker plastic type so we can wash it down in the spring if needed. We left the rug as well as that can be washed as well.
Old 05-02-2021, 03:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,246 Times in 4,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Good question. Mold would be the main problem. I think you need some air circulation. But no experience with the problem.
Agreed...

Someone recommended that you put a fan in your garage to help prevent mold if you're away. I bought an oscillating fan and mounted it on the wall in my garage. I have it set (on a timer) to run from 4:00-6:00 every afternoon, when things start heating up...

A tabletop version could help on your lanai...

-Tom Petty
Old 05-02-2021, 03:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,589 Times in 934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Agreed...

Someone recommended that you put a fan in your garage to help prevent mold if you're away. I bought an oscillating fan and mounted it on the wall in my garage. I have it set (on a timer) to run from 4:00-6:00 every afternoon, when things start heating up...

A tabletop version could help on your lanai...
Interesting idea - but without an open window, doesn’t it act like a convection oven, moving hot air around?
Old 05-02-2021, 04:39 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,441 Posts

I assume you have someone coming in to check on your toilet water, AC, etc. they can air out the lanai for a few minutes while checking the house. I have a friend who owns a designer in Caroline with an enclosed lanai, he is only here a few weeks a year during the winter and he keeps it closed up, it's been that way since they built the village of Caroline and no problems.
Old 05-02-2021, 06:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I assume you have someone coming in to check on your toilet water, AC, etc. they can air out the lanai for a few minutes while checking the house. I have a friend who owns a designer in Caroline with an enclosed lanai, he is only here a few weeks a year during the winter and he keeps it closed up, it's been that way since they built the village of Caroline and no problems.
We don’t have anyone checking. Our toilets are covered with plastic and all our drains are taped shut. As for AC we hope for the best and guess if the electric bill went down we could have an issue.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:50 AM

I bring in the cushions and TV, leave everything else out, never a problem with windows left closed.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:02 AM

We have our courtyard villa enclosed. We open the sliders from the master BR, as well as the living room. We lock and secure the exterior doors from the lanai. It allows AC from the interior to reach the lanai, as well as more air circulation. Never had a problem.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:14 AM

If you’re going to be a snowbird, or away for weeks or months at a time, then you should do things like have a security system installed that can alert you on your cellphone if there are problems. Install Blink cameras outside and inside the house to monitor the house better on your cellphone. Replace the dumb thermostats with a smart thermostats that can be controlled and monitored from the cellphone. Replace the dumb irrigation controller with a smart Orbit B-Hyve controller, so you can monitor and control the irrigation from your cellphone. The Orbit B-Hyve sprinkler controller knows about the weather too, so you’ll save money on water because the controller automatically rain delays, which pays for the controller. You can also change out the light controls with Lutron Caseta controls. Then you can make the house lived in from outside, since the lights can be programmed, controlled, and monitored with your cellphone. You can also add water sensors to the security system that could detect water leaking.

It’s also a good idea to hire a company to periodically check on your house. If you don’t have them periodically check on your house, then you could have the relationship set up with that company to check on your house with an “on demand” schedule, if and when you get an alert on your cellphone. Then you’d already have someone setup that could physically check your home, instead of having to scramble and find someone to set up your home at the last minute.

There’s a lot of things you can do to keep better track of what’s going on with you’re unoccupied home from a distance. If you can afford to be a snowbird, which costs more, then you can afford to properly set up your homes to be unoccupied for long time periods. Those things you do to prepare for your home being unoccupied will give you more peace of mind, instead of knowing nothing about your unoccupied home, and blindly hoping for the best.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:31 AM

My hubby said mold and also cracks in the ceiling wall because no air flow. He is a Pipefitters from Chicago so really knows the heating/ air conditioning business
Old 05-03-2021, 06:47 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
We don’t have anyone checking. Our toilets are covered with plastic and all our drains are taped shut. As for AC we hope for the best and guess if the electric bill went down we could have an issue.
Well that makes it much harder then.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up North View Post
We have our courtyard villa enclosed. We open the sliders from the master BR, as well as the living room. We lock and secure the exterior doors from the lanai. It allows AC from the interior to reach the lanai, as well as more air circulation. Never had a problem.
What temp to you set your a/c at, and what is your electric bill like over the summer?

We have only been gone one summer from our CYV. Our lanai is enclosed, and we didn't open any sliders into the house. We had no problem.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
Any issues with a lanai that is closed up without ventilation for the summer months? We recently had our small screened lanai closed with windows. Northern exposure, so no direct sunlight. If we close all the windows and the sliders to the lanai, any problems? There would be no a/c or air circulation if we do that. Or should we leave the sliders open to the lanai slightly?
I would think most people that do close up their lanai’s with some kind of protection from thieves & weather. We have a family member in Napel, FL. that have remote control metal walls or curtains that come down from the top of their screens to protect their home from one thing or another. It’s like that for 6 months a yr. & no problem at all. I never heard anybody ever say that they’ve had any problems just to leave as is. It might be cheaper to hire someone to do a walk around once a week. Or have cameras put in or TV police would probably be more than happy to check on your house while you’re not there. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Old 05-03-2021, 08:30 AM

When I had my lanai enclosed, I asked the contractors, who confirmed my air conditioner could handle the extra floor space in my home when the doors were open. Eventually, I permanently removed one set of doors in order to better see the beautiful view behind my home, and made a kid of archway in place of the doors. I've had no issues with having an open lanai 100 percent of the time - it is now a "sun room" and open to the rest of the house like many sun rooms.
Closed Thread

Tags
lanai, closed, sliders, summer, windows

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.