Mini split

Closed Thread
Old 05-02-2021, 09:38 AM
Gold member
Default Mini split

Does anyone have a Mr. Cool minisplit installed on their lanai? Do you like it or are you disappointed? Thank you for comments.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:06 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,335 Times in 729 Posts

I hope this is helpful.

I was deployed to Afghanistan where tens of thousands of mini splits are used to cool everything from housing 'units' to medium offices. They were used since no ducting was required. This is a horrible environment for mini splits. The dust and mud never ends.

Contracting purchased mini splits based on specs, warranty, and cost. So many BTUs, one year warranty, at the lowest cost. The ones that met these requirements were Chinese with bushings (some plastic) at the friction points whereas the old stock Mitsubishi units with bearings ran for years. The Chinese models ran about 2 years. You couldn't tell the difference by looking at them.

Mr. Cool is a DIY brand. I considered it. I could of save 2K by DIY. I am frugal but not foolish. My two ton Mitsubishi will be installed tommorow by Munn's. They were Cheaper by 200.00. 4.5K all in.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,316 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by missypie View Post
Does anyone have a Mr. Cool minisplit installed on their lanai? Do you like it or are you disappointed? Thank you for comments.

I installed one in my lanai a couple years ago and have had no problems with it. If you decide to install it yourself, there are a few Youtube videos you can watch if you have any questions on how to do it.
Old 05-03-2021, 01:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,938 Times in 5,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
I hope this is helpful.

I was deployed to Afghanistan where tens of thousands of mini splits are used to cool everything from housing 'units' to medium offices. They were used since no ducting was required. This is a horrible environment for mini splits. The dust and mud never ends.

Contracting purchased mini splits based on specs, warranty, and cost. So many BTUs, one year warranty, at the lowest cost. The ones that met these requirements were Chinese with bushings (some plastic) at the friction points whereas the old stock Mitsubishi units with bearings ran for years. The Chinese models ran about 2 years. You couldn't tell the difference by looking at them.

Mr. Cool is a DIY brand. I considered it. I could of save 2K by DIY. I am frugal but not foolish. My two ton Mitsubishi will be installed tommorow by Munn's. They were Cheaper by 200.00. 4.5K all in.
We are waiting for a few hot days before we decide if we need a split for our Florida room installed the end of last year.

Hoping that opening the doors and using a fan will cool it off. If not mini split here we come.
Old 05-03-2021, 01:28 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Mini Split interior units look like crap.

My Opin.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:47 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY
Default ceiling split unit

misubushi-split-ceiling-unit-jpg
Old 05-04-2021, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
I hope this is helpful.

Interesting....I got a quote from Munn's this February for a two ton Mitsubishi installed in my garage and it was closer to $5,700. Very minimal distance to electrical panel and very short distance for refrigerant lines. Wonder why such a huge price difference? Was yours the highest seer rating Mitsu model? I got the same unit thru Kalos but still not as quite as good a price as you.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:24 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,335 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
Interesting....I got a quote from Munn's this February for a two ton Mitsubishi installed in my garage and it was closer to $5,700. Very minimal distance to electrical panel and very short distance for refrigerant lines. Wonder why such a huge price difference? Was yours the highest seer rating Mitsu model? I got the same unit thru Kalos but still not as quite as good a price as you.
There are two grades of mini splits from Munn's:. 18 seer and higher. Depending upon location you might need a condensate pump and you might have the exterior unit some distance from the interior unit. Finally, Munn's offers a veterans discount, also a hundred dollar discount for payment by check. You can even send someone a referral fee (100.00) for sending them to Munn's. I'll do a referral fee sharing with you if you would like.

I had a two ton18 seer unit in a garage installed with no condensate pump, military discount, paid by check (not VISA). The county is inspecting it today.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuemkt View Post
Looks & Feels like a hotel.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:37 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

We have a 15 x 30 north of west facing lanai enclosed with double pane argon filled panels and we use a portable floor air conditioner. It does very well 95 percent of the time but there are those few days a year when extremely hot and the sun is low in the sky that it just won't cool it off enough. I bought it at Sam's and there was one a bit larger that I now wish I would have chose. we do not open our sliders into the house to help cool it, only the AC. Inexpensive and does a good job.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0689.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	89353   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0690.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	89354  
Old 05-05-2021, 03:40 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY
Default looks like hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Looks & Feels like a hotel.
no problem .. to each their own. Must be you dont have any of those ugly AC grates and supplies in your ceilings in your living room and bedrooms either .. Those and recessed can lights must really upset you .. Heaven forbid a solar tube.

Keep that enclosed lanai toasty during the summer !
Old 05-05-2021, 03:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuemkt View Post
no problem .. to each their own. Must be you dont have any of those ugly AC grates and supplies in your ceilings in your living room and bedrooms either .. Those and recessed can lights must really upset you .. Heaven forbid a solar tube.

Keep that enclosed lanai toasty during the summer !
No ugly vents............nicely painted wood vents. Love recessed lighting. Never cut a hole in a perfectly good roof for a silly tube. No toasty for us, we installed a second A/C unit...works great.

Tags
mini, lanai, disappointed, split, installed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.