Minimum age at Neighborhood Pools

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2015, 08:17 PM
Gold member

If you lowered the age, in the summer, you wouldn't be able to get near the neighborhood pools.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:38 PM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Our grandchildren ages 22 and 25 were surprised but adjusted easily. Like me, they don't question rules much.

That's just what someone decided. So that is what we do.
I agree, Gracie. Rules have to start somewhere and I have to believe that there was good reason for this one. I'm going with DeanFL's "College Spring Break" theory. I'm good with 30; this is a retirement community after all, and what obxgal said is also true...if you lowered the age, where would the rest of us go?
Old 03-21-2015, 09:12 PM

Thursday night around 6:00 a 20 something man and woman came to the Dunedin pool where I was swimming alone. She promptly jumped into the pool with all of her clothes on (jeans and a t shirt). I got out of the pool and simply called the neighborhood watch to help get her out of the pool.... very strange.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:17 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default Sports pools

When my son lived here he was approached by a resident and told he was not old enough to swim there. He was doing laps. Ryan said okay and swam away. The guy looked at me and said he was going to call someone and complain. I asked what the problem was and he said that they did not want young people in the pool, Ryan was 36 at the time. I told him he was 36 and he said then he is too young to buy a home here so he should get out. I explained that he lived here in our home. He did call someone who came and asked what the situation was. At this point Ryan said he would get out. The official said not to get out because he was entitled to swim there and he was doing what the sports pool were created for. He asked the man if he was swimming or walking laps and he stated he was not so he asked HIM to get out. Be careful what you complain about!

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 03-21-2015, 09:18 PM
Veteran member

30 is fine but it is never enforced. Folks violate the rule all the time in my village (Dunedin). 20 somethings are not an unusual site and as long as they behave I keep my mouth shut. I did get annoyed at one for blasting Whitney Houston one day (I can't stand her voice and loud music is rude because you are just imposing your "Tastes" on everyone else) but I stewed in silence at the urging of my wife. I was still doing some pretty stupid things well into my 20's and I'm so glad there was no social media 35 years ago. I don't care to be around them at my neighborhood pool (and I have two 20 somethings as kids).
Old 03-22-2015, 09:05 AM
Sage

The Villages Florida
Old 03-22-2015, 09:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I know of a case where a permanent resident and homeowner was told she had to leave a neighborhood pool because she is under 30. Now, I am all in favor of rules, but that just doesn't seem right.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:49 AM
Veteran member

All the above post are reasons why some of us have our own pools.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALYBOW View Post
When my son lived here he was approached by a resident and told he was not old enough to swim there. He was doing laps. Ryan said okay and swam away. The guy looked at me and said he was going to call someone and complain. I asked what the problem was and he said that they did not want young people in the pool, Ryan was 36 at the time. I told him he was 36 and he said then he is too young to buy a home here so he should get out. I explained that he lived here in our home. He did call someone who came and asked what the situation was. At this point Ryan said he would get out. The official said not to get out because he was entitled to swim there and he was doing what the sports pool were created for. He asked the man if he was swimming or walking laps and he stated he was not so he asked HIM to get out. Be careful what you complain about!
I love stories with a happy ending.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:48 PM
Veteran member

Seems to me there are more than enough pools to go around.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:19 PM
Gold member

Always amazed people move to a place with rules and than want to change them to fit their situation.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy steam View Post
Always amazed people move to a place with rules and than want to change them to fit their situation.
Hey - my post is not at all about changing the rules to fit my situation. I am well over 30 years old so I don't have a problem getting into any of our pools. I am also fine with The Villages rules I signed up for when I bought my house. I posted my query because I find it curious that a person must be 30 years old in order to access the Neighborhood Pools, but only 14 years old to drive around The Villages in a golf cart.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful2 View Post
Can anyone explain the rationale for allowing 14 years old to drive a golf cart (which I believe to be a pretty scary prospect), but setting age 30 as the required age to use the Neighborhood Pools?
I think most of us are on the same page in thinking 14 is too young to be driving a golf cart. Isn't that a Florida law?

Last edited by Barefoot; 03-23-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:32 AM

I came across the following article from the Orlando Sentinel:

Pursuant to Florida law, it is allowable for a person as young as 14 years of age to operate a golf cart on public roads or streets. This does not mean that a community must allow 14 year olds to drive golf carts[/U][/U], however, and many have chosen to require that anyone operating a golf cart must have a valid driver license.

In addition, some Florida communities have chosen to restrict young golf cart drivers even further and have raised the minimum age for driving a golf cart to age 18. (The town of Leesburg has done this.)
Old 03-23-2015, 06:09 AM
Veteran member

I think there are more 50+ year olds arrested for driving a golf cart than 14 year olds.

Maybe we should make the age for neighborhood pools 50 like the PGA.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.