Possible move to The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 02-27-2012, 01:02 PM
Default Possible move to The Villages

We are thinking about a possible move to the Villages. I’m 52 and my wife is 40. We are not ready or in Financial position to retire. My wife has a Bachelors degree in Nursing; I’m a Real Estate Broker in Ohio and West Virginia. Our there decent paying nursing jobs in the Villages? I’m not sure what I could do, but my income would not have to be very high. We would be paying cash for our house so we would not have a monthly mortgage to worry about. We are planning a visit early this summer. We've done a lot of research but not much information on employment. Thanks for any advise.

Last edited by jaj111; 02-27-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:49 PM
Platinum member

jaj111:

I'm surprised no one else has offered advice, since you posted only hours ago!

Welcome to TOTV. You will find answers to any of your questions here, and not just about The Villages, either!

We have what I consider to be an A-Number-One hospital right here. Should be a place for your nurse spouse. Trouble is that there are probably dozens and dozens of other nurses fixing to "retire" here!

And, while the place crawls with Real Estate agents, many are only part-timers, so maybe you could join that crowd!

In any case, you should be aware that salary levels are well below those elsewhere, or so I've heard. I'm among the many of us here who no longer worry about that sort of thing!

Stay in touch on this site. If nothing else, you'll learn a whale of a lot!

SWR
Old 02-27-2012, 05:19 PM

Swrinfla:

I really don't want to do Real Estate. I also owned a Golf course, so I'm have experience in all aspects golf. We just need to supplement are income for a few years. Are thought is if my wife can get any kind of a decent nursing job and I found anything at all. I really would not have to make a lot. We just can't get any idea what nursing wages in the Villages are. I've been lurking around on this site for about a year and it's been very helpful. Any thoughts on areas in the Villages that you like the best? We would like to spend no more then $185,000 if possible.

Last edited by jaj111; 02-27-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:05 PM
Default RN wage

When I investigated nursing jobs, the RNs at TVRH were making just a bit more than a new graduate nurse would make in upstate NY.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:16 PM

Babynurse,

Thanks for the info. Are nursing jobs available and about what are the wages in the Villages. I know they have a VA clinic at least in our area they pay more if you have a Bachelors degree. If you know what the approximate wages are it would be very helpful. If you don't want to post on here you can send a private message. Thank You

Last edited by jaj111; 02-27-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:16 PM
Gold member

Here is the listing of the job openings at Leesburg Regional and also The Village hospital. Good luck on your search.

https://www.leesburgregional.net/emp...mp_openall.php
Old 02-27-2012, 07:35 PM

Thank You
Old 02-27-2012, 10:17 PM
Gold member

Your welcome. Best of luck on your job searchs.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:24 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default not sure if this applies but...

our big reason we cannot move there is the need for insurance. The cost to pay for it out of pocket is too much for us. We too are too young to retire for now. Of course, you may have already covered that with the wife and the job issue.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith View Post
our big reason we cannot move there is the need for insurance. The cost to pay for it out of pocket is too much for us. We too are too young to retire for now. Of course, you may have already covered that with the wife and the job issue.
Yes, health insurance is a big issue with us too. We were hoping my wife could make a least 45K to 50k per year and have insurance. We both make more then that where we live now. But with no mortgage payment and some adjusting in our spending habits, we thought we would be alright. But everything I'm hearing is the wages in the Villages are very low even for nurses. Were not sure what to do. I think we are going to the villages for a visit this June and see what we can find out.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:55 PM
Platinum member

jaj111:

Not to throw too much water on your enthusiasm, but I should address your ages.

Technically, you are both too young to live here. The basic rule is "At least one resident in the home must be 55."

Now, obviously there are exceptions to that - by Florida law - but it must be acknowledged as a fact.

That doesn't mean, though, that you shouldn't begin your dreams. Many folks here have only dreamed of being here for a long, long time. Many others have only just become aware of the place and are doing everything in their power to come join us!

Stay a part of this message board under all circumstances because you will learn volumes of stuff!

SWR
Old 02-28-2012, 04:09 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by swrinfla View Post
jaj111:

Not to throw too much water on your enthusiasm, but I should address your ages.

Technically, you are both too young to live here. The basic rule is "At least one resident in the home must be 55."

Now, obviously there are exceptions to that - by Florida law - but it must be acknowledged as a fact.

That doesn't mean, though, that you shouldn't begin your dreams. Many folks here have only dreamed of being here for a long, long time. Many others have only just become aware of the place and are doing everything in their power to come join us!

Stay a part of this message board under all circumstances because you will learn volumes of stuff!

SWR
What Steve says is technically correct, however the law states that to be an age-restricted community at least 80% of homes must be owned by at least one person 55 or older. That means that up to 20% can be owned by persons younger than 55, and I think it is clear that the 20% rate is not being approached. I have met people in their 40s who own homes here for example. As for where you can live in TV, take your choice. For $185K you can own a pre-owned 3 br Amarillo, or a courtyard or patio villa in virtually any location you like. You could even buy a new smaller cottage home or patio villa. Plenty of great buys right now.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:17 PM

We've been looking at the Villages for about 3 years. Realistically it would be at least another year before we could move. I would be 53. I know the age is suppose to be 55. but I spoke with someone from the Villages about changing are visit from this year and wait for a couple years because of my age. The lady asked me if we had any kids under 19 living with us. I said no. She then said she would have someone from sales call me. The person from sales gave me every indication our age would not be a problem.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:25 PM

Thanks everyone for all the valuable information I'm getting here.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:37 PM

eweissenbach:

Our house is about 3800 square feet. We notice that $185,00 does not buy much in the Villages. So if we are lucky enough to move to the Villages, we are really going to get use to a much smaller place. But hey I guess its all about the life style. Thanks again for your help.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.