Minor Questions From A New Villager Due In The First Week of June

Closed Thread
Old 05-26-2013, 03:04 PM
Platinum member
Default Minor Questions From A New Villager Due In The First Week of June

Hello all - I have some very minor questions about my upcoming move to Gilchrist in TV.

1) Trash Cans - Where I live now they are provided. Are they in TV or do I buy my own? Do you store them in the garage or outside? Do you take the can to the curb or haul out bags?

2) I see great posts for major stuff done in houses but how about simple stuff. I know that shortly after moving in, I'm going to need someone to properly install the hardware to hang curtains. Are there folks up there that can do that kind of stuff for me?

3) Truly just curious on this one. Are there ever any trips outside TV. I'm thinking that maybe a trip to the Hard Rock in Tampa would be a hoot. Are there such things?

4) Are there any plant nurseries around where I can buy some new houseplants? Love african violets but have lost most of mine and would love to get a few more.

As you can see - these are very minor questions but just curious.

thanks to all

Diane
Old 05-26-2013, 03:12 PM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=DianeM;682323]Hello all - I have some very minor questions about my upcoming move to Gilchrist in TV.

1) Trash Cans - Where I live now they are provided. Are they in TV or do I buy my own? Do you store them in the garage or outside? Do you take the can to the curb or haul out bags?

2) I see great posts for major stuff done in houses but how about simple stuff. I know that shortly after moving in, I'm going to need someone to properly install the hardware to hang curtains. Are there folks up there that can do that kind of stuff for me?

3) Truly just curious on this one. Are there ever any trips outside TV. I'm thinking that maybe a trip to the Hard Rock in Tampa would be a hoot. Are there such things?

Welcome to TV.
You buy your own trash can. You put garbage bags at the curb on your designated trash day. Recycle, regular trash and yard trash get picked up on different days
Plenty of handymen...just use the search feature on this site for recommendations
AAA has offices here and has several trips....almost every day
Old 05-26-2013, 03:23 PM
Platinum member

[quote=rayschic;682329]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
Hello all - I have some very minor questions about my upcoming move to Gilchrist in TV.

Welcome to TV.
You buy your own trash can. You put garbage bags at the curb on your designated trash day. Recycle, regular trash and yard trash get picked up on different days
Plenty of handymen...just use the search feature on this site for recommendations
AAA has offices here and has several trips....almost every day
Thank you. I know these aren't major issues. Just wondering stuff.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:35 PM
Veteran member

[quote=DianeM;682337]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayschic View Post

Thank you. I know these aren't major issues. Just wondering stuff.
We were all in your shoes at one time or another. Tons of questions.
You've found a great site for answers. Lots of helpful people on here.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:37 PM
Sage

There is a newer nursery on 466 before you get to Rolling Acres rd that has beautiful houseplants - Gomey's I think it is called. Beautiful stuff at excellent prices. There is also an orchid house on the same property if you are in the market for some orchids.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:39 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
There is a newer nursery on 466 before you get to Rolling Acres rd that has beautiful houseplants - Gomey's I think it is called. Beautiful stuff at excellent prices. There is also an orchid house on the same property if you are in the market for some orchids.
Love to snoop nurseries. Can't always afford them but fun to look sometimes. Glad there is something besides Home Depot and Lowe's.

Thanks
Old 05-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Platinum member

[quote=rayschic;682348]
Quote:

We were all in your shoes at one time or another. Tons of questions.
You've found a great site for answers. Lots of helpful people on here.
Thanks for the support. I appreciate it.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

just take your time you don't need to get everything done at once...enjoy
Old 05-26-2013, 07:15 PM

Just one comment about trash...it is my understanding that no cans are to be put outside. Just put the bags out side. You must (again, from what I understand) use clear trash bags for recyling. I'm guessing opaque for regular trash.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:16 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
just take your time you don't need to get everything done at once...enjoy
Very true. Thanks for reminding me to breathe.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:17 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalcTeacher View Post
Just one comment about trash...it is my understanding that no cans are to be put outside. Just put the bags out side. You must (again, from what I understand) use clear trash bags for recyling. I'm guessing opaque for regular trash.
Thanks for the heads up. BTW I'll be Gilchrist too.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. BTW I'll be Gilchrist too.
I know! I saw that...and I think you have also posted on other threads in this forum related to Gilchrist. What unit? We are in 209 off of Amherst. We closed in December and will be frogs at the very end of June.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

4) Are there any plant nurseries around where I can buy some new houseplants? Love african violets but have lost most of mine and would love to get a few more.

As you can see - these are very minor questions but just curious.

thanks to all

Diane
Keep one thing in mind about the trash: Whatever you put out, it will be taken. In other words, do NOT put your trash in a trash can, as the trash can will disappear along with your trash! As another poster answered earlier, use trash bags. The only requirement for recyclables are clear (transparent) bags; and for brush, weeds, and so forth you must use biodegradable paper bags available virtually everywhere. As far as "regular" trash itself is concerned, it can be in any kind of bag. Welcome to The Villages!
Old 05-27-2013, 06:19 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
I know! I saw that...and I think you have also posted on other threads in this forum related to Gilchrist. What unit? We are in 209 off of Amherst. We closed in December and will be frogs at the very end of June.
I believe I'm in 210 near DaFoe. Little confused on sites. I move in next week.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Here's a great link about trash collection in TV. Covers most Villages in Sumter and Marion Counties. Gives days for collection of regular trash, recycle and yard waste. Gives a list of what is recycle and what is not, and much more.

http://www.districtgov.org/community...dule-combo.pdf
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.