Missing lanais..

Closed Thread
Old 04-17-2018, 05:06 PM

Your agent is correct, some of the Emerald models have Florida Rooms. The other models that we saw without a lanai a Sapphire and a Topaz. The models in Fenney are now being built differently, and my sales person, who has become a friend, stated they are building homes in response to surveys they have received and if there is a choice between a lanai and an extra room, many people want the extra room. With that said, they are still building many homes with Lanais.
I have noticed there are more retirees moving in that are still working and some are working from home. They need a home office but do not want a large home with 3 bedrooms.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:19 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing-nut2 View Post
I've been in Florida all my life and most of the year it's too hot to sit out on a lanai. Many people in TV close them in because of this.
Ride around and see just how many people are sitting out on the lanai. You won't see many during the day and very few at night. A house facing north is the best you can get in Florida. Sun comes up in the East and down in the West. Both are on the Side of the house. Facing North puts the summer sun on the Front of the house so you might be able to use the lanai. And of course the sun is toward the South in the Winter so it will warm the lanai. My two cents.
I love your perspective and the fact that you have lived in Florida your entire life may be why we are different. I live in TV 8 months out of the year (June through January) and hail from Wisconsin. I use my lanai each and every day. Morning coffee, nightcap beer. Every day. Love it. Would miss it dearly... just another 2 cents worth. The 4 months I am not in TV, I am enjoying the snow...

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2018, 08:28 PM
Platinum member

We eat all of our meals on our lanai except on cold windy days and just a few very hot days in the summer. We have a west exposure and love the sunsets. We often use the ceiling fans in the summer. I love reading outside and listening to sounds of water and watching the water birds. It feels like a resort spa. Most of the neighbors on our side of the street use their lanais daily as well. Can't speak for the others.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenuity View Post
Your agent is correct, some of the Emerald models have Florida Rooms. The other models that we saw without a lanai a Sapphire and a Topaz. The models in Fenney are now being built differently, and my sales person, who has become a friend, stated they are building homes in response to surveys they have received and if there is a choice between a lanai and an extra room, many people want the extra room. With that said, they are still building many homes with Lanais.
I have noticed there are more retirees moving in that are still working and some are working from home. They need a home office but do not want a large home with 3 bedrooms.
Thanks for the up-to-date information.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
We eat all of our meals on our lanai except on cold windy days and just a few very hot days in the summer. We have a west exposure and love the sunsets. We often use the ceiling fans in the summer. I love reading outside and listening to sounds of water and watching the water birds. It feels like a resort spa. Most of the neighbors on our side of the street use their lanais daily as well. Can't speak for the others.
I so agree. Our lanai faces west too. We have added a pool and a birdcage and sometimes we drink our morning coffee out there. We use our front porch often as well. I remember years ago when The Village Kahuna(the male one) said that being outdoors was one of the main reasons for being in Florida and that outdoor space was important. I love that the screening keeps out most bugs and critters.

JoJo's view is so beautiful. She has the water and a golf course view past the water. Her mother when they were adding the large lanai called for us to rescue a butterfly bush that was being dug up. Her mother is amazing at 105 years of age. And apples don't fall far from the tree in that family.

Last edited by graciegirl; 04-18-2018 at 05:37 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:23 AM

Our lanai faces east. We get the morning sun, which makes it pleasant in the summer, to enjoy it in the mornings for coffee or whatever. In the afternoon it is in the shade, which if you want to use it in the summer, makes sense, because it is 10 degrees cooler than other locations. With the fans going it is tolerable, although not great. It is extremely hot in The Villages in the summer. In the winter we can't use it much, too cool. It is lovely this time of year, and in the fall. Although, with the high pollen counts, there is green crud on everything unless you clean frequently. We are fortunate to have a seating area in our house front entrance that we use as an alternate lanai, when the weather is cooler. Even on cool days in the winter, the front, which faces the west, heats up nicely in the afternoon sun. I would not get a west facing lanai if you plan on using it during warm weather. Unless it is shaded somehow, the afternoon sun, particularly in the summer, is absolutely brutal.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:54 AM
Sage

First year we were here we did sit on our lanai from time to time. Time passed and we used it...hardly ever. It collected dirt and we just weren't using it because of the weather---too hot most times. Everyone is different! We know some folks who use theirs ALL the time. We had ours made into a room w/heat and air. It's quite nice!!
Some lanai's are better than others---so look at all styles of homes etc. before deciding on what type to buy.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:57 PM
Platinum member

We are outside people so a lanai is very important to us.

Ours has an eastern exposure. We waited 3 years before we closed it with sliding (tinted) doors but also put in a Mitsubishi mini split with heat & cooling.

It was the best money we ever spent.

Keeps it clean, pollen out, cool in Summer and warm in
Winter.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:42 PM

Everyone is different but we use our lanai almost everyday. We wouldn’t consider a home here without outdoor living space.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

///
Old 04-19-2018, 07:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
People who own west facing lanai's will swear to not making a mistake until after the house is sold. So many people love the summer heat and humidity. But then again don't they keep telling me how it is like staying inside for the winter in the north ? If you have money to burn - no problem. You will get it enclosed and air conditioned. Perhaps others who have gone this route can tell you how much this cost.
This is our second west facing lanai in The Villages. The first was in Hadley.

We have no intention to have it enclosed. I invite you to come and have dinner on the lanai in July, Rusty pee.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
This is our second west facing lanai in The Villages. The first was in Hadley.

We have no intention to have it enclosed. I invite you to come and have dinner on the lanai in July, Rusty pee.
Thanks for the offer but I assure I won't be here in mid summer - I am not a heat person. Enjoy Grace-sea Geeee.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:08 PM
Sage

Outdoor Solar Shade | TheHomeDepot

Tags
retirement, lanais, patio, asked, lanai

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.