Occasional Peeping of Carbon Monoxide Alarm

Closed Thread
Old 08-02-2011, 10:38 AM
Default Occasional Peeping of Carbon Monoxide Alarm

I have changed the batteries several times on the Carbon Monoxide alarm. Alarm is BRK Electronics First Alert Model No. co5120BN which was installed by builder five years ago. About a few weeks after I install new batteries the CO detector starts chirping. It is not the normal alarm sequence for week battery or alarm signal as described in the manual. At first it chirps just once and not chirps again for a few hours. As the days go by the frequency of single chirps increase to once every few minutes. Just one chirp, that is all. I disconnect Co Detector, replace the battery which still tests good with a fresh one, reconnect detector to power. Everything is fine for about a week and then the single chirp starts up again. I have gone through this three times now in the last two months. The manual on this detector does not address this problem. Anyone have any advice or solution to my single chirping sound? It's driving us nuts.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:00 AM

I don't have first hand knowledge of this, but I hear/read that Energizer batteries work.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Sage

Ray -

Here's a User Manual I found for your detector. Perhaps it's the same as what you already have.

http://www.alarmsystemsdist.com/mc_f...20BN-manua.pdf

Educated guesses here:

- Could be dust collecting inside the detector housing.

- Are the batteries you're using alkaline/lithium? That's what's recommended in the manual.

- The detector might have failed. Try the "Weekly Testing" as described on p. 5.

Hope that's of some help.

Bill
Old 08-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Ray -

Here's a User Manual I found for your detector. Perhaps it's the same as what you already have.

http://www.alarmsystemsdist.com/mc_f...20BN-manua.pdf

Educated guesses here:

- Could be dust collecting inside the detector housing.

- Are the batteries you're using alkaline/lithium? That's what's recommended in the manual.

- The detector might have failed. Try the "Weekly Testing" as described on p. 5.

Hope that's of some help.

Bill
I believe when you change the batteries you are required to do a test. the chirp as desribed might be a signal that the test was not performed? Just a thought
Old 08-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Can you borrow one and put it in your house. I assume it will not chirp so you will know you are ok.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Thumbs up

I had the co2 alarm go off @2:26 on a sunday morning. Took it down and went outside with it, it still beeped. I cut off both powewr supplies and called customer service, mine was still under warranty and first alert shipped me a new one at no charge. Our home is all electric.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:00 PM
Sage

It might be time to get a new CO detector. They have a limited "life span." We just went through the same thing with my Mom in law's detector. Changed batteries and still, the chirping...off and on. Went online to read about the detector she had and discovered the life span of the thing....5 years. You might want to check on how long you can expect the one you have to work. Bought a new detector, installed the batteries, connected it to the correct wiring and all is well once again.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:36 PM
Veteran member

Put it outside for awhile and see if it quits.. If it doesn't, it probably needs to be replaced.
If it quits outside, look for causes at the location you had it... we had one that was very sensitive. Car warming up in the garage would set it off.
Candles or electric socket air fresheners near it? If you move it around you may be able to see what is setting it off, and decide if you need professional help. Ask a neighbor or friend to try it in their house for an hour or so?
CO2 is dangerous.. so dont wait to find out what the problem is.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:16 PM
Veteran member

Had the same problem in our home. Of course it usually happened in the middle ofthe night!
Replaced the batteries a couple of times. I then called the manufacturer. The first question they asked is what type of batteries I was using. They said that Duracell and Everyready alkaline were ok to use but they advised not using Rayovac.
They then asked the manufacturing date. It was just over 5 years. They advised me that it had reached it's "end of life."
I wanted to replace it with the identical one because the base was already installed and if I used another brand I'd have to repaint. I found the one you're dealing with at the hardware store in the plaza near the Villages Golf Cart Store on rt.441. I believe it was an Ace or True Value hardware store.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:21 PM
Gold member

Had the same problem with ours once and when I finally called the manufacturer they said to only use Duracell batteries in the detector. Problem solved.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:36 PM

Thank all of you for your information and advice on peeping carbon monoxide alarm. I read the manual, cleaned unit with a compressed air canister, and installed a Energizer 9V battery which was suggested by several people. I have reinstalled unit careful to be sure all light and peeping signals indicated normal operation. This is same as the last three times I replaced batteries in the last two months except this time I used Energizer batteries as suggested. Now I will wait and see. If this doesn't work, I will purchase a new one as this unit was manufacture almost five years ago. I will let you know what happens.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.