Mixed Feelings

Closed Thread
Old 12-23-2013, 11:58 PM
Default Mixed Feelings

How can 1 person have so may mixed feelings?

Today was my last day of work. I am now retired. I will spend the next 38 hours with family, then hop on a jet plane and head down to my new home in The Villages. I am happy, I'm, sad, I'm excited, I'm terrified.

I will head back to Chicago early April, since I'm fortunate enough to also have a condo here. I've just never been away from my kids or granddaughters for more than 2 weeks at a time.

I have no doubts once I get there I will love living there. Just tonight feeling emotionally scattered. Did anyone else ever have the inability to figure out exactly what they were feeling?
Old 12-24-2013, 12:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

It's a full-up feeling, and it will take a while to sort things out. but congratulations and here's hoping you a great first year of retirement.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:20 AM
Sage

It's a life changing event when moving to another state, where you don't know many people, and having to start over again. It can lead to feelings of insecurity, (not grounded). It's a perfectly normal feeling, until you get use to your new surroundings.

You will to learn again, how to get around and about to the places you need to conduct your business. Also, starting over again with new doctors, etc. Until you start to feel grounded, and that can take a while, for some people.

Just know in your heart this is the best place to be, and things will work for you, as it has for so many others. Can 110,000 people be wrong?

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 12-24-2013, 08:40 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,338 Posts

I have been home in VA. for a week. I was coming back to TV on the 26th. My grandchildren/children want me to stay a few more days. It is hard to leave them for so long. Mixed feelings. Now I am trying to ask myself what day to drive south. Maybe Friday? Sunday? Monday?
Old 12-24-2013, 09:28 AM

You apparently aren't alone. I too am in the same situation. We won't be leaving WI until January 13 after two of the grandson's birthdays. I have a lot of those same mixed feelings. Deep down I know it is the right thing to do. The husband is all excited and I am the emotional one. Leaving the grandkids will be the hardest. Then there is the change from working 40-60 hours a week to not working. Right now I am trying to think positive.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:36 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,307 Times in 541 Posts
Default Lots of Traffic after 25th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
I have been home in VA. for a week. I was coming back to TV on the 26th. My grandchildren/children want me to stay a few more days. It is hard to leave them for so long. Mixed feelings. Now I am trying to ask myself what day to drive south. Maybe Friday? Sunday? Monday?
As one who has traveled from Illinois to Florida (after Christmas) for the last several years----it really doesn't matter what day----there will be lots and lots of traffic any day between Christmas and New Years. Just be patient and go with the flow.

We tried flying during this time and didnt like it any better. Be safe.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:05 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,307 Times in 541 Posts
Default Feelings are normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whit53 View Post
How can 1 person have so may mixed feelings?

Today was my last day of work. I am now retired. I will spend the next 38 hours with family, then hop on a jet plane and head down to my new home in The Villages. I am happy, I'm, sad, I'm excited, I'm terrified.

I will head back to Chicago early April, since I'm fortunate enough to also have a condo here. I've just never been away from my kids or granddaughters for more than 2 weeks at a time.

I have no doubts once I get there I will love living there. Just tonight feeling emotionally scattered. Did anyone else ever have the inability to figure out exactly what they were feeling?
OP, if you didn't have these "mixed feelings" then I would be concerned. The biggest thing to remember is that you are really only two or three hours away from the kids and grandchildren. You can fly back for those special moments---like we did last winter for our sons 50th Birdthday party. And was he ever surprised! That mindset helps a lot.

Its likely that the kids and grandkids will appreciate you just a bit more when you are there. We found that to be true. I think its very important for Retirees to make a life for themselves following retirement. I'm sure you get my point without further emphasis.

Also, you will find the four months or so you spend in TV will go by so very quickly and the next year and the next----you will find its too cold in Chicago in April! Congrats on your retirement----enjoy.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Here is a warm feeling....

It's in the 70's today, and paradise awaits.....
Old 12-24-2013, 10:22 AM
Platinum member

yes, I, too, felt weird. for me leaving work was interesting. Although I was burnt out and ready, work does give one purpose for getting up and out the door. Luckily, here you can still find lots of things that will get you out the door.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:46 AM
Sage

Keep this in mind ... the best is yet to come!
Old 12-24-2013, 11:08 AM

Thanks all for your positive comments. It's nice to know I'm not the only one with these crazy feelings and thoughts going on.

I know without a doubt this is going to be a great experience. I believe so in the Master Plan and believe this is what is part of my plan.

Things just seem to fall into place. My friend sold her house without another to move to. So I luck out as my home will not be unattended during the winter months and she has a place to stay. Then I'll be back for my new grand baby to arrive. Life is good.....just darn scary at times.

All my suitcases are packed, gifts wrapped, just waiting for the parties to begin.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:22 AM

Dear Whit53,

We have lived in the Villages two years now and I still second guess myself. I love the Villages but the life I left was wonderful too! It really helps me to be able to return home frequently; both my relationship with my family and my Villages friends are important to me. Time will show, that you are very lucky since you are able to have the best of both worlds.
I am back in Maryland right now and it is 36 degrees but I am right where I need to be and my heart feels very warm. In a few days I will be back on a golf course in the Villages, which will warm my body. So Happy and So Lucky!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.