Modifications to existing bridges and overpasses.

Closed Thread
Old 03-09-2019, 04:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,357 Times in 2,392 Posts

How would two bicycles pass in a three foot wide space? Hello.....
Old 03-09-2019, 06:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
It’s just not NYC it’s all over the country, you just don’t here about it. I agree should be fence to keep delinquents form killing someone. Yes it might prevent the rare suicide, i personally don’t want hit person in the road that jumped or have the person come through my windshield and kill me. Standards change, just like water towers ladders use to not have cage or padlock plate to prevent climbers.
LOL If we don't hear about it then how do you know it happened? OKAY, then we should have 7 foot high fences along the roadways separating them from the sidewalks and MMP's as well to prevent people from running out into the roadway chasing butterflies. We should also require everyone to wear steel helmets in case a piece of space junk falls out of the sky or if a bird carrying a dead rat drops it on our head. We should also build steel cages around our homes in case a small plane crashes into one (it's happened twice in FL in the last couple weeks so it could happen to ANY of us!). Seriously now, do we have to be so fearful over everything that we need to change our environment to protect ourselves? If our time has come it's come and all the protection won't matter. Climbing a radio tower is a lot different from someone tossing a rock on our head off a bridge. One we have a choice to do or not and the other we are anonymous victims over which we have no control.

Live & enjoy your life and stop worrying about someone tossing a brick off a bridge because into your car because there is probably as much chance of that happening to any one of us as there is winning the national lottery.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Surely you don't think that rock throwing from bridges and the resultant damage/death doesn't occur in FL!
rocks thrown from florida bridge - Bing
I never said it didn't but I'm certainly not going to change my way of live because of the POSSIBILITY or expect the "developers" to spend millions "just in case."
Old 03-09-2019, 07:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,467 Times in 3,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
I never said it didn't but I'm certainly not going to change my way of live because of the POSSIBILITY or expect the "developers" to spend millions "just in case."
Thing is, the Villages as it was in the early 2000's (when we first came to visit, before we decided to retire here), is vastly more populated now. More people, more traffic, more roads, more golf carts, more visiting grandkids and kids, more crime, more beauty, more shops, more unpleasantness, more of everything from each end of the spectrum and inbetween. There's a lot MORE than most people ever expected, when they first came here in the 1970's, 80's, 90's, and 2000's.

The way you live is already changing. The world - and the Villages, is progressing whether you choose to accept the fact or not. While there are more awesome things in the Villages than ever before, there is also a lot more unpleasant stuff. There are ways to reduce the unpleasantness. You can't eliminate it, but you certainly can reduce it.

I believe the developer has already made improvements on the "old way" of doing things, with the new areas. Wider bridges, wider golf cart/bike lanes on the main roads, better signage, superior retention pond lining and drainage, etc. So even the developer acknowledges that there is room to improve. If they hadn't, they would've used the same construction methods that they used previously.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:54 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post

I believe the developer has already made improvements on the "old way" of doing things, with the new areas. Wider bridges, wider golf cart/bike lanes on the main roads, better signage, superior retention pond lining and drainage, etc. So even the developer acknowledges that there is room to improve. If they hadn't, they would've used the same construction methods that they used previously.
So let’s give credit where credit is due,
and all things considered, TV is a very nice place to live!
Old 03-09-2019, 09:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Wasn’t this covered in great detail on this thread??
55 yr.old woman dies near golf cart bridge.
Yes, but the Mod closed it for straying off topic and invited people to open a different thread about bridges.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I wish that we were not always at the mercy of the badly behaved.

Until we are able to call a spade a spade, clearly identify the problem, i.e. the scientific method, gather facts on it and be able to talk about it in real words instead of euphemisms we will not be able to make society better.
Yes, but facts can ignore what's best. For example, remember when insurance figures came out stating that mammograms don't save enough lives?
Old 03-09-2019, 09:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Yes, but the Mod closed it for straying off topic and invited people to open a different thread about bridges.
Thank you kindly, for pointing out...the obvious.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Just as a recent incident and posted in a constructive manner. Not The Villages but a related story. So sorry for the Victim and all who knew her. Texas woman, 33, dies after large rock thrown from overpass crashes through car’s windshield

Katherine Lam By Katherine Lam | Fox News

Keila Flores, 33, was killed after a large rock thrown from an overpass crashed through the car's windshield and hit her, police said.

A Texas woman died Saturday after someone reportedly threw a large rock from a railroad overpass, hitting the car’s windshield and crushing her while her boyfriend and children sat helplessly inside the vehicle.

Keila Ruby Flores, 33, was in the car with her boyfriend, Christopher Rodriguez, and her three children when the rock came crashing through the car’s windshield about 8:40 p.m. Saturday on Interstate 35, KWTX reported. Flores was sitting in the front passenger seat at the time.

"[We were] headed back to Waco on 35 northbound, all of sudden something just strikes the window," Rodriguez told KWTX. "An explosion just comes right through the window. I didn’t know what it was. I look over and I see Keila and she is laying there unresponsive.”

Rodriguez recalled “shaking” his girlfriend to wake her up.

“She was unresponsive,” he said, adding their daughter told him to call 911.

Temple police said an unidentified person threw the rock from the railroad track overpass that landed on Flores’ vehicle.

Flores was taken to the hospital with “significant injuries.” She was pronounced dead just after 10:30 a.m. Sunday.

Can we relate this story to the recently discussed Threads? Does it make covering New Bridges any more acceptable to everyone? Just imagine if it was a family member or someone you knew.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:42 PM
Sage

I had a neighbor who was killed in his cart on Morse when another cart made a left turn in front of him. Other driver was blinded by the sun.
What can we do about the sun?
Old 03-11-2019, 02:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
I had a neighbor who was killed in his cart on Morse when another cart made a left turn in front of him. Other driver was blinded by the sun.
I am sorry about your friend but in the spirit of your post to me the other day you posted on the wrong thread.

Look at the Title of the Thread my friend CNM started. It makes no mention of Sun Glare or that the Bridge or Overpass discussed had to be in The Villages.

Isn't it easy to see that this could be prevented on the New Bridges that are coming over The Florida TURNPIKE?

Going to the pool I'll answer your kind reply later. This is an important issue to me, very important. Can you feel that? Why the offtrack comment's? Very Uncharacteristic of you! Is it because I'm serious about something instead of just Clowning around like usual? I'm Confounded!
Old 03-11-2019, 03:41 PM
Sage

time to give the fencing, graffiti, etc. a rest.
Posting on here accomplishes nothing. Have to take you soap box to the state capital....good luck.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
time to give the fencing, graffiti, etc. a rest.
Posting on here accomplishes nothing. Have to take you soap box to the state capital....good luck.

I'm sure some(not you Nucky) of you posters have been called a lot of things....... but not a "Bridge Builder"!

Here's some light reading for you guys (all 1230 pages)

https://fdotwww.blob.core.windows.ne...rsn=bf366a48_2
Old 03-11-2019, 04:04 PM
fw102807

Quote:
There are situations we can control and situations we can't. Rocks and other items do get thrown from bridges all over the country.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
There are situations we can control and situations we can't. Rocks and other items do get thrown from bridges all over the country.
Serious questions - not being a smart azz.

Do you think FDOT doesn't know that? Do you think they don't care? Do you know if any safety measures are being put into the design of the bridges. If I cared that much.... I would have been on the phone with my state rep. a long time ago. Last question - Anyone think about this before that poor troubled soul jumped? I don't recall reading about it!
Closed Thread

Tags
overpasses, popcorn, bridges, existing, modifications

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.