moles in lawn

Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2007, 10:41 AM
Default moles in lawn

I have moles in my lawn. Has anyone had this problem and how did they get rid of them.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:35 AM
Default Re: moles in lawn

I have a similiar problem in New Jersey but they are not moles they are voles. There is a difference. I don't know whether voles are in Florida but it is worth checking out.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:58 PM

We have had a problem in Missouri with moles the last couple of years. Learned that the moles are after chinch bugs (sp?) in the lawn. Kill the bugs, the moles go elsewhere. It works.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

I had moles too, tried killing the bugs, but apparently didn't get 'em all.

Lowes sells "poison peanuts" specifically for moles/gophers for about $5. I hate to kill the varmint, but he/they were just tearing up my lawn badly.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member

You've got grubs and cinch buys in your lawn and moles love them....you've got to kill the insects and then they will move to your neighbors lawn...........But don't be to Hasty,,,there good eating....
Old 09-18-2007, 04:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We have a lawn service that takes care of this type of issue.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by the great fumar
You've got grubs and cinch buys in your lawn and moles love them....you've got to kill the insects and then they will move to your neighbors lawn...........But don't be to Hasty,,,there good eating....
Fumar, you are a hoot!
Old 09-18-2007, 09:24 PM
Eternal Member

If you see mole trails call your lawn service. They will come out and put down some stuff to get rid of them.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default Your Lawn Service Will Treat For Moles, But...

...how about this solution that was passed on to me by a greenskeeper on a Michigan golf course.

Because of the vast amount of grass that would need to be chemically treated to get rid of the grubs or other insects that are the mole's food, the cost would be prohibitive for a golf course. This guy had a technique for getting rid of the moles themselves. He bought a supply of bubble gum and went out looking for "mole holes". He would then unwrap a piece of bubble gum without touching it with his fingers and drop it in the hole. Apparently the moles are attracted to the sweet smell and taste of the gum, but when they try to eat it they choke on it and proceed to meet the big mole-maker in the sky. This greenskeeper said he'd been using this effective and cheap technique to eliminate moles for years. If you don't have a lawn service, it might be cheap enough to at least give it a try.

Or, buy a bag of GrubX. That will kill the grubs or cinches and drive the moles to your neighbor's lawn.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I had a big problems with moles and voles up north...best solution ...an outdoor cat.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:40 AM
Platinum member
Default Re: Your Lawn Service Will Treat For Moles, But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna
...how about this solution that was passed on to me by a greenskeeper on a Michigan golf course.

Because of the vast amount of grass that would need to be chemically treated to get rid of the grubs or other insects that are the mole's food, the cost would be prohibitive for a golf course. This guy had a technique for getting rid of the moles themselves. He bought a supply of bubble gum and went out looking for "mole holes". He would then unwrap a piece of bubble gum without touching it with his fingers and drop it in the hole. Apparently the moles are attracted to the sweet smell and taste of the gum, but when they try to eat it they choke on it and proceed to meet the big mole-maker in the sky. This greenskeeper said he'd been using this effective and cheap technique to eliminate moles for years. If you don't have a lawn service, it might be cheap enough to at least give it a try.

Or, buy a bag of GrubX. That will kill the grubs or cinches and drive the moles to your neighbor's lawn.
I'll be darned. Never heard of that before. I noticed the first year I quit having my yard professionally treated I had moles. Started the treatments back and now they're gone.

Steve
Old 09-21-2007, 09:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member

kahuna is right.....
Years ago I was told buy our greenskeeper to put chewing gum down all the holes and they can't resist ...It fouls up their digestive tract and they go to the big mole hill in the sky....
I personally feel that as Kahuna stated BUBBLE GUM would work best because you can kneel down and listen to the ground , when the popping bubbles stop , you know your problem is solved.........
Old 09-22-2007, 07:41 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions on mole elimination. I used the mole peanuts and they did the trick.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.