donotcall.gov - Register Phone #s to Stop Telemarketing Calls

Closed Thread
Old 10-01-2007, 09:22 AM
Default donotcall.gov - Register Phone #s to Stop Telemarketing Calls

Hello All.

I received this today, and I have already registered my cell, home office, and home numbers. It's really very easy. You can also do so at http://www.donotcall.gov if you prefer, which may be more useful to you if you are registering multiple phone numbers.

Someone I sent this to told me he saw in the Chicago Tribune, the cell phone number distribution to telemarketers was happeing in 2008; however, I registered mine anyway since it is good for 5 years.

Rebekah
(aka eujaynia)

----------------------------------------

Cell phone numbers going public tomorrow

REMINDER....all cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies tomorrow and you will start to receive sale calls.

....YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS

To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone:

888-382-1222.

It is the National DO NOT CALL list. It will only take a minute of your time
or go to the website donotcall.gov

It blocks your number for five (5) years. You must call from the cell phone number you want to have blocked. You cannot call from a different phone number.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:40 AM
Sage
Default Re: donotcall.gov - Register Phone #s to Stop Telemarketing Calls

eujaynia,

I know your heart is in the right place but this is a hoax. An old one in fact that circulates throughout the internet every couple of months. If you are interested in this hoax just follow the link below. As with most e-mails (regardless of how well you know someone) please take the time to look through this site before passing the e-mail on.
Russ

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp
Old 10-01-2007, 11:41 AM

Thanks, RB. When I read the snopes.com, I was a bit concerned.

I have cut & pasted the link from the Chicago Tribune about "donotcall". And I normally DO always use snopes.com to look up what people send me. Hmm... all too interesting. Well, I registered anyways--so, each can do what they like. Just because the article is in the Tribune, does not mean it is gospel or well researched, I suppose.

Again--thanks for the info!

Editorial
Do not call. We mean it.
September 27, 2007

Like ants at a 4th of July picnic, telemarketers are on the march. The first telephone numbers listed on the federal Do Not Call registry will start expiring next year, unleashing armies of pesky varmints who have waited five long years for the chance to interrupt your dinner.

This is good news if your house needs new vinyl siding and you don't know where to turn. Sit still, and it will come to you. The rest of us must steel against the invasion by re-enrolling at http://www.donotcall.gov or by calling 888-382-1222. A spokesman for the Federal Trade Commission, which maintains the list, says this is simply a housekeeping measure, sort of like cleaning out your address book every year. (As if anyone does that.)

Those of us who are still having trouble figuring out how to renew our Chicago Cards were understandably outraged at this latest nuisance. More than 149 million people have signed up for Do Not Call, and God knows we had our reasons. We don't know anyone who misses hearing from the telemarketers, but it's easy enough to remove your name from the registry if you want.

Why should the rest of us have to re-enroll? What part of "do not call" is so hard to understand? Grrrrrrr. So we logged on, indignantly, fully prepared to watch our screen freeze as the FTC's Web site failed under the weight of millions of simultaneous renewals and ... oops, that was easy. We're good till 2012. Never mind.

So thanks anyway, U.S. Reps. Mike Doyle (D-Pa.) and Chip Pickering (R-Miss.), for your courageous efforts to pass a law making the Do Not Call listings permanent. We can handle this one. If you have time to attack life's maddening repeat inconveniences, though, maybe you could write a law to stop the magazine publishers from tricking us into renewing 20 years into the future. The only people who really know when their subscriptions are supposed to expire are the ones who purge their address books annually; everyone else just keeps writing checks.

Keeping track of your Do Not Call status, though, is about as hard as remembering when to replace the outdated milk in your refrigerator. If you forget, you'll know it fast.

The complete article can be viewed at:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/servic...sday/chi-0927e
dit3sep27,0,3397757.story

Visit chicagotribune.com at http://www.chicagotribune.com
Old 10-01-2007, 11:53 AM
Sage

Good info. I know that i did add all my numbers a couple of years ago - just in case!

The only part that is pure hoax is the deadline part of the e-mail. It doesn't hurt to use the do not call list.

It seems to have worked. I get NO calls on my mobile and only a couple per month on my land line. Sure beats the old days of getting 5 or 6 every day with most of them being at dinner time!

Old 10-01-2007, 01:10 PM

Hi Russ ...

I know what you mean--I think they KNOW when you've sat down to eat! :dontknow: I love the response that use to be told in emails: "Ask them for their number, and that you'll call them back once you're finished with your meal." Once THEY have set down to supper, of course. ;D

Rebekah
(sign me, "Trouble-maker" hehehe....)
Old 10-02-2007, 05:05 PM
Sage

Just noticed you're a COLTS fan!

See you on Nov. 4th - Bring your A game.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.