Money Saving Tips for New Homeowners

Closed Thread
Old 10-14-2014, 09:55 PM
Default Money Saving Tips for New Homeowners

I've noticed several suggestions on how to cut down on utility bills. Does anyone else have any suggestions on how to save money in general once you are a full-time resident?
Old 10-14-2014, 10:03 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

Eat at home rather than in restaurants, retain only one car and use a golf cart around TV. Consider renting your home out during the high season.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-15-2014, 04:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Eat at home rather than in restaurants, retain only one car and use a golf cart around TV. Consider renting your home out during the high season.
What he said. Play nine holes of golf rather than Championship courses. Shop for food at Aldi's and Walmart. Clean your own home and cut your own lawn if you can. Although I consider lawn cutting here a huge bargain. It is the weeding and trimming that is expensive.

There are so many things that you can do that are free if you are a card carrying Villager.

If I won the lottery tomorrow I would still be frugal. I was just raised that way. Not much chance of me winning the lottery. I have never bought a ticket.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruannB View Post
I've noticed several suggestions on how to cut down on utility bills. Does anyone else have any suggestions on how to save money in general once you are a full-time resident?
In general.................the same things you did in Findlay Ohio.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

It's the championship courses that will get you into trouble with your money. Learn to play the executives and get a the trail fee
Old 10-15-2014, 08:46 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruannB View Post
Living in Florida is much different than living in Ohio and so are the expenses.
The beauty of this place is you can do as much or as little as you want. The best way to save money is to buy a smaller house with little property, you'll most likely downsize eventually anyway. Buy pre-owned if that suits you.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
It's the championship courses that will get you into trouble with your money. Learn to play the executives and get a the trail fee
Better yet, don't pay the $140 annual trail fee and walk the executive courses if you can. I ride on the executive courses maybe 10 - 15 times in the summer so it costs $60 vs $140 per year. The cart fee is included in the price on the champion courses. In the winter when the champion courses go way up you can also play off site at half the rate.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:18 AM
Sage

What everyone here said! My 1st thought was...don't have such large houses (to heat, cool and maintain)! Don't have personal pools (we have many here that are part of the amenities)...as they're expensive to maintain. When we downsized our home up north we downsized the way we were living as well. We're comfortable w/o losing a whole lot! But guess it's all a matter of perspective!
Old 10-15-2014, 12:55 PM

Thanks everyone! Any advice on whether vinyl is cheaper to cool than stucco? Or vice versa? I do realize I will have to paint stucco, but how often down in Florida?
Old 10-15-2014, 07:14 PM

Well there you go...stucco is always going to be more expensive up front. I am not sure but I believe it is more costly to heat and cool as the block retains heat in the summer and cold in the winter, check with the builders not realestate brokers, they want to up scale the house cost. But in addition to that those houses are usually higher end/more costly. They will need painting from time to time and will eventually crack and need repair.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:34 PM
Platinum member

I would suggest you sign up for all the email lists you can find for the different country clubs and stores in the area. There are several that give coupons, free meals for birthdays, anniversaries etc. Not all country clubs have email lists but Bonifay, Evans Prairie, Hemingways are some. Invest in the Daily Sun. Specials are listed daily and many coupons. Some stores and restaurants Publix, Beef O'Bradys, Bob Evans, Ricciardis etc.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:59 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
What he said. Play nine holes of golf rather than Championship courses. Shop for food at Aldi's and Walmart. Clean your own home and cut your own lawn if you can. Although I consider lawn cutting here a huge bargain. It is the weeding and trimming that is expensive.

There are so many things that you can do that are free if you are a card carrying Villager.

If I won the lottery tomorrow I would still be frugal. I was just raised that way. Not much chance of me winning the lottery. I have never bought a ticket.
Gracie nailed it. For other entertainment, start monthly game nights in your neighborhood (i.e. Mexican Train, card games, gourmet dinner night, board games night, etc.).
Old 10-15-2014, 09:31 PM

Set your air conditioning at 75 or above in summer and heat at 65 or below in winter. Buy clothes at the wonderful thrift stores in the area. Buy furniture on this site or at thrift or consignment shops. Use the library rather than buying books. Paint rather than remodel. Avail yourself of the wonderful knowledge all around you, on this site and from your neighbors, in hiring help and solving problems.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:04 PM
Gold member

Don't try to keep up with the neighbors with the upgrades & home improvements. Learn to be happy with what you can afford.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:42 PM

Luckily John and I can do most home improvement projects. We try to avoid electrical. Not crazy about getting zapped. Which restaurants offer the best bang for your buck? And I'll stop asking questions after that one.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.