More Building Plans - Championship Golf?

Closed Thread
Old 07-15-2018, 09:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
Exactly. The ratio of "free golf" to housing units is way down. Why "waste" the purchased land on free golf when you can build hou$e$ on that land? Give 'em putting and "pitch and putt" courses and tell them it's the "free golf". At my location off Canal Street, there are 22+ executive courses no more than a 15 minute golf cart ride away. You are not going to find that in these new development areas. Perhaps the developers are planning on reduced interest in golf. If not, expect those few executive courses "down south" to be very crowded. Good luck on the winter tee times.
One would think that would drive up the resale market. You really need to try out the new area before settling in if free golf was the biggest motivation.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:19 AM
Location: California, Massachusetts, California, Virginia, Morocco, Massachusetts, Buttonwood

Lots of remarks about how many championship golf courses or executive courses are being planned. Who knows what will happen in the next five years, let alone the 30+ years it could take to complete the current expansion. Anything is possible over the next 30+ years. At this point, all we can do is guess and speculate.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:45 AM
Sage

I'm just thinking 5 years ahead. In 5 years how many champ courses and how many execs will be south of Brownwood?

I thought the golf course view premiums of the course and the most expensive houses paid for the course. It was only a hunch.

I remember joining the woodshop. Great group, great shop but driving a car there almost took a half an hour. That got old very quickly. I have 3 places to shop for food 5 minutes away. I could buy in bulk and have amazon deliver but would miss the bargains. I have many restaurants to choose but I don't dine out. Movies are close enough to bike.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:17 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,327 Times in 1,442 Posts

Just a guess buy I think every house/villa they build will be sold no matter how many golf courses are built.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,036 Times in 2,731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Hard to imagine, given the projected size of additional development...that only one regulation course is planned.

Even if there were 3-5, it doesn't seem commiserate...with the current ratio.

And given the distance to the existing courses from this 'southern expansion' (particularly any courses north of 466A), I'm thinking the current regulation size courses already built...better start expanding their automobile bag drops.

I'm thinking (actually, just guessing, like everyone does when it comes to future planning here) that 'Da Family' has decided that since golf doesn't seem to be a priority among the 'generations' that will eventually be buyers down there, that they can still attract residents...without golf being a focus as it has been up until now.

Maybe they will build a plethora of small rec centers with the latest in computers/gaming technology installed and the future marketing will be...'Free video game playing for life.'
I agree with your observation about the golf to homes ratio as well as your projection that even with 3-5 new Championship courses, the ratio will still be diluted.

Why would a senior golfer even consider buying a home where there are no courses, even if courses are promised five years into the future. Most people our age have a very limited remaining window of years where our aging bodies will be able to play championship golf at a respectable level. I estimate my window is another 10-12 years, if I am lucky enough to remain relatively healthy. My window is now, and I value every precious remaining year I have and I am not willing to wait for future promises to come to fruition. On a positive note, this should increase the pre-owned home values in the northern sections of the Villages where several Championship courses are located.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:11 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,314 Times in 383 Posts

Golf is a dying sport. Older baby boomers could be sold on free golf...younger boomers and those younger then them do not come here for golf.

The Villages know how to market...golf is way down now on the list of most used activities.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Exactly. The ratio of "free golf" to housing units is way down. Why "waste" the purchased land on free golf when you can build hou$e$ on that land? Give 'em putting and "pitch and putt" courses and tell them it's the "free golf". At my location off Canal Street, there are 22+ executive courses no more than a 15 minute golf cart ride away. You are not going to find that in these new development areas. Perhaps the developers are planning on reduced interest in golf. If not, expect those few executive courses "down south" to be very crowded. Good luck on the winter tee times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I agree with your observation about the golf to homes ratio as well as your projection that even with 3-5 new Championship courses, the ratio will still be diluted.

Why would a senior golfer even consider buying a home where there are no courses, even if courses are promised five years into the future. Most people our age have a very limited remaining window of years where our aging bodies will be able to play championship golf at a respectable level. I estimate my window is another 10-12 years, if I am lucky enough to remain relatively healthy. My window is now, and I value every precious remaining year I have and I am not willing to wait for future promises to come to fruition. On a positive note, this should increase the pre-owned home values in the northern sections of the Villages where several Championship courses are located.
YEP!
Old 07-15-2018, 03:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Golf is a dying sport. Older baby boomers could be sold on free golf...younger boomers and those younger then them do not come here for golf.

The Villages know how to market...golf is way down now on the list of most used activities.
You can pretty much golf as long as you can walk. Many of my golfing pals never played before. That's because it was too time consuming and expensive.

This place and our age solves that problem. If that's what management is thinking I think they got it all wrong.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post

you are entitled to your opinion. Mine is that your thoughts might be true elsewhere, but not in TV.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
you are entitled to your opinion. Mine is that your thoughts might be true elsewhere, but not in TV.
Golf is declining everywhere but in THE VILLAGES!
Old 07-15-2018, 06:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

So this is plans for 30 to 40 years from now? I can’t be concerned about anything that does not effect me.

But if my grands came here say in 40 years only one would be playing golf, the others would have designed the online game that their age group have been playing since they could hold a controller. Most think even though they did not play in their younger years they would take up golf when they moved here.

Problem is they would actually have to go outside with no WiFi to golf

Right now my grands do not shop in a retail anything. Online is it. One is in 3D anime, other is web graphics design. College is online.

Last edited by asianthree; 07-15-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:48 PM
Sage

Please explain why you believe this is true. Overall, The Villages has one executive course for every 1600 homes and one Championship course for every 5000 homes. Do you believe, or have evidence to show, that these ratios are about to change?

Quote:
Old 07-15-2018, 07:39 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Please explain why you believe this is true. Overall, The Villages has one executive course for every 1600 homes and one Championship course for every 5000 homes. Do you believe, or have evidence to show, that these ratios are about to change?
Simple division does not explain the lack of executive courses in many of the new areas. Get yourself a map and look at the area that has Bogart/Bacall/Yankee Clipper/Southern Star/Sandhill/Turtle Mount/Redfish Run/Bonita Pass/Tarpon Boil/Pelican/Heron. Where on the southern map do you see that many executives that are that close together?
Old 07-15-2018, 07:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,036 Times in 2,731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
It doesent take a rocket scientist to figure out the declining golf ratio per home. The last Championship course to open was four years ago, and lots and lots of homes have been built since then. Lots and lots of more homes are currently being built, as well as going forward, with no end in sight. Yet no new Championship courses are currently being built and it appears as though none are planned in the near future. And let's not forget that homes can be thrown up very quickly, but good golf courses take a very long time to build and mature to the point when they can open. The golf ratio is dropping very rapidly on a daily basis and that is a fact!
Old 07-15-2018, 08:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
It doesent take a rocket scientist to figure out the declining golf ratio per home. The last Championship course to open was four years ago, and lots and lots of homes have been built since then. Lots and lots of more homes are currently being built, as well as going forward, with no end in sight. Yet no new Championship courses are currently being built and it appears as though none are planned in the near future. And let's not forget that homes can be thrown up very quickly, but good golf courses take a very long time to build and mature to the point when they can open. The golf ratio is dropping very rapidly on a daily basis and that is a fact!
Yep...it's pretty simple math.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, turnpike, south, championship, amenity

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.