Scary Roundabout Story

Closed Thread
Old 01-19-2008, 02:55 AM
Gold member
Default Scary Roundabout Story

After tonight, I think I might have seen everything. : :
We were headed out towards Mulberry Rec Center and CR42 via Buena Vista. As we were approaching the roundabout at Mulberry I noticed a car stopped in the rotary just before where we would enter the roundabout. To our utter amazement the car began backing up(that's right I said backing up in the roundabout!!!!).We supposed in order to exit the roundabout and enter Buena Vista which they apparently missed on the way around. Guess they didn't figure out that they could go around again....Another car was approaching from behind them. We had to exit to get to Walgreens and didn't hear any screeching of brakes or crunching of metal so there didn't appear to have been any concequences.
All I can say is , heads up and drive defensively folks.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:21 AM
Veteran member
Default Re: Scary Roundabout Story

Had a similar thing happen to me yesterday. I was in the roundabout by Arnold Palmer and a car just stopped in the roundabout as I was approaching. When he saw me coming he started moving. Good thing I was driving slow.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:07 PM
Gold member

We encountered someone driving the inner lane of the North Morse Blvd Roundabout in the wrong direction.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:15 PM
Founder

Another, "I couldn't belive my eyes" story, please! I was approaching the Morse circle on El Camino from the North. The car ahead of me, turned LEFT into the circle. Got it, TURNED LEFT into the circle. It was only a miracle that there was no accident. He/she went to the exit to 27/441. :yikes:
Old 01-19-2008, 03:48 PM

I don't see the problem .....they were only going 1 way.
If you don't know I'm kidding I'm kidding folks. Lets just say all those people were from Europe and forgot how to drive in the US
Old 01-19-2008, 04:01 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

When we visited TV, Mr. BB loved the roundabouts, none of those annoying 4-way stops where each person seems to think it's time to go. But Mr. BB is pretty adventurous.

I, on the other hand, thought the roundabouts were exactly like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

This brings up another question I have for those of you who drive golf carts there.

What is it like when you have to merge with car traffic while you are in a golf cart?
Old 01-19-2008, 05:16 PM
Platinum member

Do not drive a golf cart through a roundabout! There will be ways around it.
Tampa, FL
Old 01-19-2008, 05:25 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Avista,

Thanks but...

I'm sorry. I see that I did not make my question clear, and it did not help that I veered a little off the topic.

I think there were some places, maybe on the south side of the north side, where golf carts were actually supposed to be in the regular street traffic for a short time.

Maybe I am not remembering correctly or maybe I saw some renegades. We did not get around to renting a golf cart while we were there so I did not get the firsthand experience.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:33 PM
BOMBERO

Not a problem. I'm getting use to incorrect info. from people who do not live here.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:00 PM
Taltarzac

Saw a tipped over dump truck at one of the roundabouts-- the one you use to get to Tall Trees from Buena Vista.

The police had put warnings out before you reached the roundabout so that made it safer.

One day a in heavy rain on Buena Vista just past a roundabout, I came across a tortoise going to the other side in the middle of the road. Came very close to hitting it because it was hard to see in the heavy downpour and I was not expecting a rather large critter in the road.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:06 PM
Dancing Thyme

Boomer, I understood what you meant. I'm one of those people that gets nervous when I have to merge the cart into a regular traffic. I still don't have the "hang" of it so most times I drive my car if I'm going a long distance (sometimes even a short distance.) But soon I'll be living in TV and I'm sure I'll become very accustomed to the merge. It is scary though but I see that the drivers of cars are very nice and don't try to give you a hard time (gee, guess I'm used to L.A. drivers).

Kathie :redface:

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 01-19-2008, 08:22 PM
Veteran member

Earlier this month, I had a close call by the Palmer course. I was in the roundabout just about at an intersection and a woman in a beat up white car entered the circle and almost t-boned me. I had to swerve left to miss her. She didn't appear to have any idea what she had just done or for that matter how to drive in roundabouts. She obviously wasn't a resident. I wonder is she's the same one some of you mentioned in this thread.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:20 AM

Had an experience the other day and am not quite sure if I was in the wrong or not.

Both myself in left lane and a car in the right lane entered the circle at Morse and Stillwater, coming from 466. Now we were side by side going into roundabout and I had was heading down Morse towards Hadley Village.

Well this car decides to stay in the circle and forces me and the car behind me to come to a hard stop, as it passed in front of me and went on into I gess its called Caroline on Stillwater.

What got me was the driver never signalled and I was sure not to hit him but came so close to getting rear ended. Now I am a pretty calm driver, but what elevated my temper was the A-hole behind me who flashed, beeped the horn repeatedly and gave me the finger while passing me eventually on the right.

I did notice the plate was from NY.

Now was I in the wrong or what?

What are the roundabout rules anyway?

Perhaps when TV does a preview they should explain these rules to perspective buyers.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:58 AM
Send a message via AIM to LovinItAtTheVillages Send a message via Yahoo to LovinItAtTheVillages

As we were heading down 27/441 today around 4pm..just as we were approaching the bridge to turn toward Ruby Tuesdays..we saw a man in a golf cart driving right down 27/441 toward Perkins...
not a super duper gas powered over the road model...Nope
Im talkin an old plain model...riding down as though he owned road..

sure hope he made it........cars were zooming quickly by
Old 01-20-2008, 02:33 PM

All Villagers should be sent to the UK to navigate in and out of one of those intersections where many of the feeders from one roundabout connect directly to second or even third roundabouts ! I don't think it is our having roundabouts that is the problem --- the drivers who haven't figured them out haven't yet figured how to drive, period! I also cannot believe that with all the rhetoric about roundabouts in TV that the authorities have not put out a definitive mode of useage? I was taught (not neccessarily correct in TV) that if you need first exit or straight through stay in right lane. If you need any of the next exits stay in left lane, use your indicators ( a novel idea here in TV !!!) and exit accordingly.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.