Morse Boulevard - three questions

Closed Thread
Old 02-12-2015, 10:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Morse Boulevard - three questions

I have three questions regarding Morse Boulevard, north of 466:

1) each side lane is marked "Golf cart and bike lane". Are they really multi-modal, or are walkers meant to walk on the grass (which is full of ruts and pot-holes)?

2) the roundabout at the north end of Morse is encircled by a golf-cart path. Is this a roundabout, too, or can golf carts go either way round it?

3) I have seen golf-carts traveling south stop at the Rio Grande traffic lights, then proceed as if they were going "right on red". This is no more dangerous than a true "right on red" but is it legal?

My thinking is:
1) the lanes should be treated as true multi-modal;
2) should be treated as a roundabout;
3) stop and wait for the green light.

I am interested in what your answer would be to each of the above but, also, where might I find a definitive, legally-binding answer to these questions?

Thank you
Old 02-12-2015, 10:25 AM
Veteran member

Dwyl
Old 02-12-2015, 11:30 AM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post

1) each side lane is marked "Golf cart and bike lane". Are they really multi-modal, or are walkers meant to walk on the grass (which is full of ruts and pot-holes)?

2) the roundabout at the north end of Morse is encircled by a golf-cart path. Is this a roundabout, too, or can golf carts go either way round it?

3) I have seen golf-carts traveling south stop at the Rio Grande traffic lights, then proceed as if they were going "right on red". This is no more dangerous than a true "right on red" but is it legal?

My thinking is:

I am interested in what your answer would be to each of the above but, also, where might I find a definitive, legally-binding answer to these questions?

Thank you

1) Anybody who would walk in the cart/bike lane would be taking their lives in their own hands

2) This traffic circle has always had one way traffic for golf carts

This section of Morse Blvd was designed and built in the 1980's. There were no 'multi-modal' paths at that time. This is one of the worst designs in TV, but, to be fair, the population at that time was about 10,000. Hopefully, a solution to these problems can be found.

Don't know what the legally-binding answers are or where to find them. Probably the Sumter county sheriff's office. Comparing Morse to what is built today is apples to oranges.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
1) Anybody who would walk in the cart/bike lane would be taking their lives in their own hands
Yes - they are far from ideal for walkers. I walk in the lane facing traffic and move on to the grass if a cart is coming, as it can be hard for them to move out to avoid me, especially at this time of year
Old 02-12-2015, 10:06 PM
Platinum member

I think it is so sad that this part of The Villages is so poorly designed. No place for walkers...no sidewalks, and the "multimodal paths" seem just plain dangerous to golf cars, bikers and people who are all expected to share that small strip of asphalt.

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 02-12-2015, 10:07 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post

2) This traffic circle has always had one way traffic for golf carts

This section of Morse Blvd was designed and built in the 1980's. There were no 'multi-modal' paths at that time. This is one of the worst designs in TV, but, to be fair, the population at that time was about 10,000. Hopefully, a solution to these problems can be found.

Don't know what the legally-binding answers are or where to find them. Probably the Sumter county sheriff's office. Comparing Morse to what is built today is apples to oranges.
Even in the 1980's, people walked.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:38 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Multi-modal means just that. It is for golf carts, bicyclists, pedestrians, skaters, etc.

The circle at Morse is a one-way roundabout. If a police officer sees a cart going the wrong way, the cart can be ticketed. I actually saw this happen once.

It is a red light. It is not a stop and go ahead because you're in the golf cart path. Golf carts turning left from Rio Grande need a clear path to enter safely. That will not happen if idiots run the light.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-12-2015, 10:46 PM
KittyKat

1. Walkers should walk on their neighborhood streets if they want to make it back home in one piece.

2. Correct. Golf carts travel counter-clockwise.

3. Correct. They should wait for green light; otherwise they might hit a golf cart turning South onto Morse.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKat View Post
1. Walkers should walk on their neighborhood streets if they want to make it back home in one piece.

3. Correct. They should wait for green light; otherwise they might hit a golf cart turning South onto Morse.
This!
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:42 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKat View Post

what if a person wants to walk from his/her home to Spanish Springs or to Hacienda Rec center or to the hospital? There are many places a person would want to get to by foot without worrying about getting hit by a golf cart.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cquick View Post
what if a person wants to walk from his/her home to Spanish Springs or to Hacienda Rec center or to the hospital? There are many places a person would want to get to by foot without worrying about getting hit by a golf cart.
Why not drive your golf cart to SS, hospital, etc.? Then do your walking in your quiet neighborhood. Do you have the right to walk on Morse? Yes. Is it safe? No. Just realize if you choose to walk on Morse, you are increasing your risk of injury or worse. I usually don't even walk on the BV cart paths that are huge compared to Morse. I walk in my neighborhood and bike or cart on the MMPs.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cquick View Post
What if someone anted to walk down the Florida Turnpike? There are some places that people just shouldn't be allowed to walk.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Plenty of places to walk at spanish springs. For some it maybe safer to drive out of your locked out villa,s to safer place to walk. I rented close to spanish springs and I walked to rolling acre road to hernandas. I avoided rio grande, Delmar, and morse. Plenty of places to cut through villa,s and go down golf cart paths.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

"There are some places that people just shouldn't be allowed to walk."

I should hate to see people cede their right to walk somewhere just because other users refuse to share the road.

I have just come from a stroll along the edge of the Morse multi-modal lane and felt totally safe - facing traffic and stepping on to the grass when a golf-cart approached.

Without fail, each of the golf-carts moved to the outside edge of the path, even though I was a yard on to the grass.

The path is a lot wider than some - Rio Grande for example - although I wouldn't want to risk just staying on the edge of it as a golf-cart goes part.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:40 PM
Location: Village of Dunedin, Keller Tx, Tulsa Ok, Chicago Il, Milwaukee Wi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post

My thinking is:

Thank you
1) When a roadway has a bicycle & Cart Lane or for that matter any roadway with a bicycle lane along the curb is IS NOT FOR WALKING! Think about those roads where they have a bicycle/cart lane and a right turn lane, and the multimodal lane moves inside of the turn lane--you'd have pedestrian traffic crossing traffic at turn lanes-very dangerous. Pedestrians never have walkways along roadways, a;though they do have cross walks, designated pedestrian with controlled by lights or pedestrian right of way.

Carts are not permitted on sidewalks, nor are bicycles supposed to be on sidewalks. I'm not sure if the development or other governing body has defined use of the off-road multimodal paved paths, but thinking they are there for pedestrian traffic seems like a dangerous assumption. There are some sharp turns and two way traffic that does not leave room for protected pedestrians. The carts are traveling anywhere from 19-25mph on average depending on whether they are also street legal .

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.