Morse to buy out Historic District?

Closed Thread
Old 06-23-2014, 11:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts
Default Morse to buy out Historic District?

I heard a rumor yesterday to this effect. Supposedly he wants to put a huge medical complex of some kind over here. I can't imagine needing this much land for a medical complex.
Has anyone else ever heard this rumor?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I thought you were going to say that he was buying the older and lower priced homes in order to rebuild newer homes on the lots..I have heard THAT rumor. But your rumor and my rumor might just be..............

wait for it....................

Rumors.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

What a stretch. Did this rumor start near the busted gate?
Old 06-23-2014, 11:18 AM

I think it is a rumor. There is plenty of land elsewhere to put a medical complex and he would never be able to get every homeowner to agree to sell. Some people are just too old to make a move
Old 06-23-2014, 11:18 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I was told he's tried to disenfranchise the historic side for a long time. From rumors I've heard, it doesn't seem to matter what is done to it so long as it isn't considered part of The Villages. Sad if true.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-23-2014, 11:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I can't think why that would be so. The Historical part is part of The Villages and always will be. There are still some original manufactured homes that are endangered when we have high winds. They could be easily just pulled away and the site cleared to build a more sturdy home. There wasn't a single home available a week or two ago that was less than a hundred thousand dollars which may be the reason for the rumor. Did someone buy the less expensive homes. If so why? (I just checked and there are two that are less than 100k today, but in the 90's.)

The entire place is a legacy that the Morse family will leave to this part of Florida. It is also a first historically in the world. I don't see it as much of a stretch that they would like to leave it completely beautiful and sound. They have changed as they grew and they have remedied many of their mistakes as they have gone along, building cart paths not ON busy streets, building homes better and better. Why shouldn't they want to be sure that their earliest efforts aren't saved and safe?

Please understand that all of my suppositions above are my own RUMOR.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:07 PM
Sage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I can't think why that would be so. The Historical part is part of The Villages and always will be. There are still some original manufactured homes that are endangered when we have high winds. They could be easily just pulled away and the site cleared to build a more sturdy home. There wasn't a single home available a week or two ago that was less than a hundred thousand dollars which may be the reason for the rumor. Did someone buy the less expensive homes. If so why? (I just checked and there are two that are less than 100k today, but in the 90's.)

The entire place is a legacy that the Morse family will leave to this part of Florida. It is also a first historically in the world. I don't see it as much of a stretch that they would like to leave it completely beautiful and sound. They have changed as they grew and they have remedied many of their mistakes as they have gone along, building cart paths not ON busy streets, building homes better and better. Why shouldn't they want to be sure that their earliest efforts aren't saved and safe?

Please understand that all of my suppositions above are my own RUMOR.
Great post !!!!!!
Old 06-23-2014, 01:48 PM
Gold member

There are between 600 and 700 homes in the historical side of The Villages. That would be 600 to 700 separate negations which would be a nightmare.

A couple of years ago there was a mobile home park on the east coast that had a hundred or so plots that a developer wanted to buy. The developer was offering a million dollars or more for each plot but it was all or nothing. There was a lot of people that wanted to sell and there were many that said they didn't care about the money and wouldn't sell for any amount. The deal fell through and as far as I know the mobile home park is still there and it was on the coast.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:39 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts
Default 4,000 homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy-Guy View Post
There are between 600 and 700 homes in the historical side of The Villages. That would be 600 to 700 separate negations which would be a nightmare.

A couple of years ago there was a mobile home park on the east coast that had a hundred or so plots that a developer wanted to buy. The developer was offering a million dollars or more for each plot but it was all or nothing. There was a lot of people that wanted to sell and there were many that said they didn't care about the money and wouldn't sell for any amount. The deal fell through and as far as I know the mobile home park is still there and it was on the coast.
Indy: I didn't go around and count the homes in the historical section but a salesperson told me about a year ago that the number was 4,000.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:01 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy-Guy View Post

The area you speak of has a very desirable water view and he would have tripled his investment easily
Old 06-23-2014, 03:11 PM
Gold member

All good rumors exploit the emotions and sentiments of a group, so lets fuel the fire with the hot button of eminent domain.

Article X, Section 6 of the Florida Constitution restricts the power of condemnation of private property only for a public purpose. A public purpose means that:
•The property must be available to the public in common
•The public interest must dominate the private gain
•The manner of enjoyment or use of the property acquired must be in control of the public

Examples include: parking facilities, recreation facilities, roadways, hospitals, power lines, drainage systems, government buildings, water and sewer projects.

What follows is mischievous fictional musing intended only for entertainment or, OK, I'll admit it...provocation.

How about a scenario where a community, let's call it "Stonecrest," has no "access" to medical facilities and are pleading for relief. A benevolent developer with a big bankroll, unlimited legal resources, and friends in high places, uses "Stonecrest's" dire predicament and the law of eminent domain to buy up a large block of properties which he then repurposes into a behemoth medical cash cow which makes the monies he paid to acquire the properties look like a drop in the bucket.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:23 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts

Morse buying up the Historical District is the "craziest" rumor I've heard on TOTV. Just ain't happening IMSO.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:33 PM

I so love Graciegirl's take on this! Rumors are just that! I think as retires some of us have a bit too much time on our hands!

Last edited by RErmer; 06-23-2014 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Premature send!
Old 06-23-2014, 04:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
All good rumors exploit the emotions and sentiments of a group, so lets fuel the fire with the hot button of eminent domain.

Article X, Section 6 of the Florida Constitution restricts the power of condemnation of private property only for a public purpose. A public purpose means that:
The property must be available to the public in common
The public interest must dominate the private gain
The manner of enjoyment or use of the property acquired must be in control of the public

Examples include: parking facilities, recreation facilities, roadways, hospitals, power lines, drainage systems, government buildings, water and sewer projects.

What follows is mischievous fictional musing intended only for entertainment or, OK, I'll admit it...provocation.

How about a scenario where a community, let's call it "Stonecrest," has no "access" to medical facilities and are pleading for relief. A benevolent developer with a big bankroll, unlimited legal resources, and friends in high places, uses "Stonecrest's" dire predicament and the law of eminent domain to buy up a large block of properties which he then repurposes into a behemoth medical cash cow which makes the monies he paid to acquire the properties look like a drop in the bucket.
Hmm, is that provocation, or prevarication?
Old 06-23-2014, 04:40 PM
Veteran member

Well, a "medical facility" large enough to require the historic district would be on the order of 20 billion plus. More importantly, it would require a certificate of need. You know how it took so long to get a cert of need for the hospital addition? Try proposing something that large and watch all of the hospitals in Tampa, Orlando, Ocala, Jacksonville, and Gainesville line up to oppose it. Would likely be approved in the 22nd or 23rd centuries.

Everyone thinks that at 130,000 (or whatever number you like), The Villages can support all manner of medical facilities and specialties. The truth is that anything under a population of 10 million is too small for a mega hospital/clinic. No matter how much you wish, it won't happen.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.