R We Residents the 'Last to Know!'

Closed Thread
Old 08-29-2010, 07:44 AM
Default R We Residents the 'Last to Know!'

R we residents 'the last to know' what 'facts' are available to us.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...5465947.column

http://www.orlandosentinal.com/news/...5465947.column
Old 08-29-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge538 View Post
Part One

“Villagers can take a deep breath on those fronts. Morse and his family are extremely well capitalized — fabulously wealthy is probably a better description — and because homes in The Villages continue to sell, default on the bonds is an extremely remote possibility.” SNIP………..

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...5465947.column

“Last to Know”? This has not been happening for the last three years according to 90% of the people on this forum. Wake up and smell the IRS. 90% of the people will tell you the Orlando Sentinel is fabricating this, I remain undecided.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default No

As was said earlier, this is an ongoing investigation. Who knows what the outcome will be and who it will cost or how much. We'll worry about it then. This is not a secret, anybody who was looking to buy here should have known about before this. God knows it's been on TOTV enough and probably most of the same authors will chime in. One already has.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:52 AM
Gold member
Default R We the Last to Know

Thank You for the link - I know i will not read anything about the bond issue in the Daily Sun, if it is negitive.
90% of the people will tell you the Orlando Sentinel is fabricating this ???????
Old 08-29-2010, 09:05 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I don't think I've ever heard that it was fabricated. I have heard that the reporting was biased (no question on that one -- for some reason, the Sentinel hates TV and the Morses) and that it was not accurate -- haven't managed to get all the facts on that one). The Sun has done a couple of articles on the IRS and bond issues. I believe them about as much as I believe the Sentinel -- both have their own agendas and, thus, slant the news.

But, no TVers are not the last to know if they choose to stay informed. Are they going to hear the bad things from the Morses? Not if the Morses can help it. Remember, the Sun and the local TV/radio stations are really more of an advertising media for TV than anything else. Are we going to hear the good things from the Sentinel? Nope. So, you have to look at all sources -- other local papers; online articles; local television (other than channel 2); local news radio. You can be as informed or uninformed as you choose to be.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 08-29-2010, 09:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge538 View Post
Creally? Not if you read TOTV. Unfortunately you need to be a forensic auditor to understand the problem. It has been explained many times but it is something that can't be put into one sentence. I don't think that all of these smart people are having the wool pulled over their eyes. I have never regretted buying in The Villages, no matter what.

I think the Democratic Sentinel doesn't like all the money the Morses throw to the Republican party. That is my opinion.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:24 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to BlueHeronFan

GG,

That's it in a nutshell! Florida is such a key state during general elections.
Personally, I'll just wait to see how it play's out, but I believe they have tax lawyers etc
who tell them what is legal and what and how much they would owe the IRS.

I recently read where some dentist got 42 months for tax evasion. Gee, wonder if any politicians we know will get the same????
Old 08-29-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHeronFan View Post
GG,

That's it in a nutshell! Florida is such a key state during general elections. If this is a political thing, why did it start in the days of George Bush?
Personally, I'll just wait to see how it play's out, but I believe they have tax lawyers etc
who tell them what is legal and what and how much they would owe the IRS.
Lawyers do not decide what is owed the IRS.
I recently read where some dentist got 42 months for tax evasion. Gee, wonder if any politicians we know will get the same????
I could be wrong.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:00 AM
Sage

I do not think that the IRS investigation is a political thing. I think how it is reported in the Sentinel may have a "slant" to it.

I think that it is a matter of internal audit, to the advantage of the Morse family and why not? It isn't taking anything away from us, the residents.

These are strictly my opinions Shadow.

AND.....Shadow? Why don't you buy a home here in The Villages so it can be your problem too?

Sorry, I was teasing you a bit Shadow.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post

But, no TVers are not the last to know if they choose to stay informed. Are they going to hear the bad things from the Morses? Not if the Morses can help it. Remember, the Sun and the local TV/radio stations are really more of an advertising media for TV than anything else. Are we going to hear the good things from the Sentinel? Nope. So, you have to look at all sources -- other local papers; online articles; local television (other than channel 2); local news radio. You can be as informed or uninformed as you choose to be.
After 3 visits, i have come to the conclusion that the majority of the villagers are more concerned with enjoying retirement than learning about the IRS problems. TV is their escape and they will let the"powers that be" handle the realities associated with the IRS and the outside world. Who can really blame them for wanting to escape and enjoy their retirement as stress free as possible.Hopefully, for the sake of everybody, the emperor , WILL be wearing clothes.

Last edited by kentucky blue; 08-29-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:08 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Creally? Not if you read TOTV. Unfortunately you need to be a forensic auditor to understand the problem. It has been explained many times but it is something that can't be put into one sentence. I don't think that all of these smart people are having the wool pulled over their eyes. I have never regretted buying in The Villages, no matter what.

I think the Democratic Sentinel doesn't like all the money the Morses throw to the Republican party. That is my opinion.
Now - Now Gracie why bring in politics????
Maybe its all Obama's fault
Old 08-29-2010, 10:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
Now - Now Gracie why bring in politics????
Maybe its all Obama's fault
sigh
Old 08-29-2010, 11:23 AM
Veteran member

There are a number of people who would like to bury their heads in the sand over this issue. I suppose some just can't admit that maybe something is not perfect about The Villages, or that perhaps there were shady dealings by the Morse family. The thing is we just don't know at this point. We don't know how things are going to turn out. We all have opinions, but there is an IRS investigation going on, for a reason, there may be repercussions, and that is all we know. To blithely say there is no problem, is just foolishness. Personally I'm not losing sleep over it. We don't have a lot invested in The Villages, and if something were to happen, we could give up the house, absorb the loss and move elsewhere. And I assume if we Villagers got shafted somehow, there would be a huge lawsuit. I see that the district has already spent over $200,000 of resident's money on high priced lawyers so far. And that's probably just the beginning. In the long run this could get very messy, and expensive for the residents.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taj44 View Post
There are a number of people who would like to bury their heads in the sand over this issue. I suppose some just can't admit that maybe something is not perfect about The Villages, or that perhaps there were shady dealings by the Morse family. The thing is we just don't know at this point. We don't know how things are going to turn out. We all have opinions, but there is an IRS investigation going on, for a reason, there may be repercussions, and that is all we know. To blithely say there is no problem, is just foolishness. Personally I'm not losing sleep over it. We don't have a lot invested in The Villages, and if something were to happen, we could give up the house, absorb the loss and move elsewhere. And I assume if we Villagers got shafted somehow, there would be a huge lawsuit. I see that the district has already spent over $200,000 of resident's money on high priced lawyers so far. And that's probably just the beginning. In the long run this could get very messy, and expensive for the residents.
The two things that got my neck up were the $209,000 of our money the developer spent on attorneys and the "Blue-Sky" transactions. I think those were the over-valued assets sold to the CDD by the developer. Not sure, though.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,355 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taj44 View Post
I agree with most of what you say, however, you say "we don't know" and then go on to say "this could get very messy, and expensive for the residents". You just as easily could have said in the long run it won't cost residents anything. This becomes the irony of the issue.....We just do not know at this point. So why speculate and alarm?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.