Mosquitoes ?

Closed Thread
Old 07-11-2020, 03:08 PM
Veteran member
Unhappy Mosquitoes ?

This is a survey.

We have lived in The Villages for many years and this year it seems like there are a lot of Mosquitoes when compared to previous years. In previous years we used to say there were a lot fewer Mosquitoes here than in NY. Is it my imagination or do others feel there are a lot more this year?

BTW I noticed there is a Poll option for new posts with a number option once your checked it. I checked Poll but nothing in the preview or help indicated how to use the Poll option if anyone knows please comment.
Old 07-11-2020, 03:19 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

I see the pond behind me sprayed frequently. I am on a GC, that shouldn't matter but it might in practice.
Old 07-11-2020, 03:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Very definitely more mosquitoes than in the past.

We take the dog out several times a day (on our property) and have had more mosquito bites this year than all other 16 years here.

No standing water nearby that we can see.
Old 07-11-2020, 03:58 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,142 Times in 301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadspet View Post
This is a survey.

We have lived in The Villages for many years and this year it seems like there are a lot of Mosquitoes when compared to previous years. In previous years we used to say there were a lot fewer Mosquitoes here than in NY. Is it my imagination or do others feel there are a lot more this year?

BTW I noticed there is a Poll option for new posts with a number option once your checked it. I checked Poll but nothing in the preview or help indicated how to use the Poll option if anyone knows please comment.
Spray truck did our neighborhood in Monarch Grove last night.
Old 07-11-2020, 04:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

From the Sumter County web site.
Mosquito Control
Mission
The mission of Mosquito Control to achieve and maintain levels of arthropod control as well as protect human health and safety by reducing the number of pestiferous and disease carrying mosquitoes through out Sumter County.

Mosquito Control also handles:
Service requests from citizens of Sumter County pertaining to mosquito control
Surveillance of mosquitoes by way of light traps, landing rate counts, and location aquatic breeding sites to determine control efforts to be taken
Adulticiding (night spraying) to control adult mosquitoes
Larvaciding (treating aquatic breeding sites) to reduce the number of adult mosquitoes
Maintenance, refurbishing, and calibration of all equipment as well as maintain access to aquatic breeding sites
Additional Resources
Florida Medical Entomology Laboratory White Papers

Customer Satisfaction Survey
Sumter County Mosquito Control is committed to providing the highest level of service to its customers. In order to assess customer satisfaction, please take a moment to complete our online customer satisfaction survey .

FAQs
Why can I no longer see a spray schedule online? Do you have a set schedule for spraying mosquitoes?
How does the service request work?
How many phone calls do you need to spray in my area?
Old 07-11-2020, 06:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Never YET had a mosquito problem here (3+ years so far) in Amelia. However we have no ponds, preserves (wildlife or Smuckers) or golf course nearby.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:02 AM

We've been here two years and I've seen one mosquito in Fenney. Seen maybe four flies. Assumed when we moved here we'd have to put up with all sort of insects. Nice surprise. A Massey employee told me whatever insecticide the Villages uses keeps the numbers low. His boss pushes them to sell Massey's mosquito control product but they can't because nobody needs it. He's lived here 17 years and has never been bitten by a skeeter. We do see a lot of are Love Bugs. I'll take them over mosquitos.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:07 AM
Veteran member

I did a comparison count and there is definitely fewer this year to date.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:57 AM
Veteran member

They used to spray in my area near Rt 466 but they are no longer doing neighborhood spraying here. I was told there were complaints about environmental concerns but don't know if that is accurate. There are many more mosquitoes than there were in the past when they used to have the trucks spray in the middle of the night. I would think with the zika virus mosquitoes we would want to use the trucks to spray the neighborhoods again.
Old 07-12-2020, 06:17 AM
Veteran member

I live on a pond and the mosquitos are worse this year. Can’t go out at night without getting bit.
Old 07-12-2020, 06:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

One of the interesting, and best things about The Villages is the lack of insects. The state of Florida is known for it huge insect population but somehow The Villages has almost eliminated them.

I haven't seen any mosquitos in my area.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-12-2020, 06:22 AM
Veteran member

The mosquitoes have been bad all year. When the spray truck comes around I wonder if it goes down all the streets or just the main streets. We live in Sumter county between 44 & 466A
Old 07-12-2020, 07:09 AM

We back to a retention pond and have found that mosquitos are worse than prior years but still not to the extent that I've experienced in other geographical areas.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:15 AM

Is there a schedule for mosquito spraying posted on line somewhere for The Village residents? I don't want to be walking my dog when they are spraying!
Old 07-12-2020, 07:17 AM

We moved here 2 1/2 years ago from the Hudson Valley in NY where we would be carried off by mosquitos. I have seen three mosquitos here in 2 1/2 years, very happy. We are near Lopez CC.
Closed Thread

Tags
mosquitoes, poll, option, years, lot

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.