Mosquitoes ?

Closed Thread
Old 07-12-2020, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

I'm not seeing many bugs of any kind...we've been staying put and not going out in the evenings...I walk early in the morning on a circle that surrounds a retention pond in Pine Hills, maybe once of twice I'll feel a bite, but not every day

sounds like it's localized to some areas
Old 07-12-2020, 07:19 AM

Never notice mosquitoes outside here except at night. Even then not many. Do you live close to a pond?
Old 07-12-2020, 07:42 AM
Default Yes

We can’t go out at night because they are so bad.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadspet View Post
This is a survey.

We have lived in The Villages for many years and this year it seems like there are a lot of Mosquitoes when compared to previous years. In previous years we used to say there were a lot fewer Mosquitoes here than in NY. Is it my imagination or do others feel there are a lot more this year?

BTW I noticed there is a Poll option for new posts with a number option once your checked it. I checked Poll but nothing in the preview or help indicated how to use the Poll option if anyone knows please comment.
I think it is what area you are in. I am in the Nancy Lopez CC area and never see any, but I have heard it is a problem in the new Sections below Hwy 44.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
This is a survey.

We have lived in The Villages for many years and this year it seems like there are a lot of Mosquitoes when compared to previous years. In previous years we used to say there were a lot fewer Mosquitoes here than in NY. Is it my imagination or do others feel there are a lot more this year?

BTW I noticed there is a Poll option for new posts with a number option once your checked it. I checked Poll but nothing in the preview or help indicated how to use the Poll option if anyone knows please comment.
We live in Sanibel and have seen the fogger truck go by a couple of times around 10 PM these past couple of months. Yes, have seen a few more mosquitoes than previous years but nothing alarming.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:42 AM

Haven’t seen a single one in my 7 years here in St Charles
Old 07-12-2020, 08:58 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Finally met the little suckers after a driveway band thing in Pinellas. They were pretty brutal went it got dark out.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:58 AM

I came to TV in 1996. In all these years I have not had one mosquito bite.I have a house on a golfcourse on the Historic side, and I don't know what if any difference that makes. Back where I used to live on Long Island, I had to go inside as soon as the sun went down or risk being eaten alive.Great work on the part of TV in this regard.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
One of the interesting, and best things about The Villages is the lack of insects. The state of Florida is known for it huge insect population but somehow The Villages has almost eliminated them.
I haven't seen any mosquitos in my area.
Probably the reason for the minimal bird life in TV.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:35 AM
SUENRAN
Default Seeing Sever In Fenney

Quite a few in Fenney. Have been bit several times so far this year. Figured that after the dry spell there would be none.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:05 AM

There aren’t any mosquitos in my lanai.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutmama View Post
The mosquitoes have been bad all year. When the spray truck comes around I wonder if it goes down all the streets or just the main streets. We live in Sumter county between 44 & 466A
Mosquitos are noticeably worse in Bonita this year. Not fun to walk the dog every night!
Old 07-12-2020, 11:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
This is a survey.

The CV shutdown may have meant fewer workers to drive the nightly spray vehicles. Also with Global Warming, the Gulf and Ocean have a higher temperature so more water vapor and more rain clouds to form. That will continue getting worse until the time you see all electric vehicles in the street. That could be a long time.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:54 PM

I have lived here for 13 years. And you are correct. The mosquitoes are worse this year than ever before. My feeling is that The Villages believes it is more important to spray in the areas where they are selling homes. The spray truck used to come around (very late at night) a number of times in the summer. I live just south of 466. This place is so huge now, it would be impossible to spray every village. We're on our own with this battle.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
This is a survey.

Live in Lake Deaton, back up to preserve and pond, have large birdcage enclosure. Haven’t seen any mosquitoes, but the no seeums and spiders are bad. Then again not spending much time outside right now do too heat and humidity in evenings.
Closed Thread

Tags
mosquitoes, poll, option, years, lot

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.