Mosquitos ?

Closed Thread
Old 07-21-2021, 06:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,008 Times in 1,003 Posts

in the odd event you are a cigarette smoker, keep 1 lit & they will leave you alone. i only see them out @ night, but when i light-up, they instantly scatter
Old 07-21-2021, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
The Villages comes down the streets every so often and sprays for them. I don't know of anyone that does their own control. Welcome.
I’ve been here 2 years and have never seen a mosquito truck. I’m in Fenny and my ankles and calves have been eaten alive.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:01 AM

Off topic: I’m in SC too! Will you be here fir a visit before Sept? Are you a member of the FB group?

Back on topic: I find that there are the little buggers, but not terrible. I should really get better at wearing protection! And I think that will be sufficient.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:07 AM

Live in Hawkins and as soon as the sun goes down, they begin their assault. The ones here are so large, you can feel them land. Back up north, you generally don't know they are bitting you until it is done. Here, you feel them land on you beforehand. Hawkins does have a lot of "Preserve,... i.e., swamp land."
Old 07-21-2021, 07:34 AM
Default Mary Shields

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshepard03 View Post
Thanks Retired Guy !
We have lived in TV for almost a year now and I continue to marvel that we have not been bitten by any bug! We are from MN and used to routinely bathe in mosquito repellent😂. TV does a fabulous job of spraying.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,582 Times in 1,498 Posts

Quote:
We closed on a home in St. Catherine's 2 weeks ago; we look forward to meeting every single one of you soon, especially the beer drinkers. Unable to move to TV until mid-September, however.

We've been on 4 lifestyle visits (is that a record?). We never had any issues with mosquitos. Does anyone have any comments on the need for a mosquito service at your home ?
Mosquitoes?

I'm from Minnesota, where mosquitoes are a fact of life (in those months, that is, where below-zero temperatures AREN'T a fact of life). Also horse flies, deer flies, gnats, no-see-ums, woodticks, ants, hornets, blackflies, Japanese ladybeetles, and probably quite a few other six- and eight-legged critters that chew on people for a living. I've lived in The Villages for most of a year now and the sum total of the bugs I've seen consist of five cockroaches (all dead--those bug people I hired do a good job), a few ants while I was out walking, a couple of flies that I didn't recognize, and one big-assed bee that sat on my golf cart window and stared at me for awhile before continuing on his appointed rounds.

Bug-wise, TV is heaven!
Old 07-21-2021, 07:53 AM
Default Love beer

Quote:
We closed on a home in St. Catherine's 2 weeks ago; we look forward to meeting every single one of you soon, especially the beer drinkers. Unable to move to TV until mid-September, however.

We've been on 4 lifestyle visits (is that a record?). We never had any issues with mosquitos. Does anyone have any comments on the need for a mosquito service at your home ?
Sadly we are still 6 months away from being able to have a case of beer with you 🤣
Old 07-21-2021, 08:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts

Mosquitoes. They seem to prefer certain people. Deet is a commonly used bite preventer
I am not a doctor but vitamin B1 seems to work. B vitamins are water soluble so overdoes is unlikely. It takes a fairly large dose of B1 for it to work.

Those black lights were the rage a few years ago. They kill mostly moths that are attracted to the light. They do not work for mosquitoes.

Mosquitoes breed in fresh water, traditional control are fish.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

The local unseen mosquito sprayers take care of that in the early morning hours when the traps they set show a rise in them. I hold my breath this continues. There are those who are very concerned about the use of pesticides.

And WE ARE OFF....................
Old 07-21-2021, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
If you live on a pond or preserve the mosquitoes are bad. We can not go outside in our yard at night without getting bit. People are correct about doing vector control and the Villages is better than outside the Villages. Mosquitoes seem to like to bite some people more than others, If you get mosquito bites where you live now it will be worse in Florida.
Nope. Unh uh. It is NOT worse in Florida. It was FAR worse in Ohio. This is nice here. I am a veritable gourmet ITEM for mosquitos and they bite me and I get all swollen and itchy. Little Bastards.

I am very glad that the unseen forces are keeping their numbers down. Thank you. Thank you.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryShields View Post
We have lived in TV for almost a year now and I continue to marvel that we have not been bitten by any bug! We are from MN and used to routinely bathe in mosquito repellent😂. TV does a fabulous job of spraying.
This is the villages. Our mosquitoes are trained to only seek young people.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:28 AM
Veteran member

In 3 1/2 years I have seen less than a handful of mosquitoes…not sure why.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

we're just north of 466A...surrounded by preserves and retention ponds...unless you're out walking after sunset without bug spray there's no issue with mosquitoes, and we've never been attacked by hordes of mosquitoes....but we also don't eat a lot of bananas. I read somewhere a while back that bananas emit a chemical from your pores that those pesky little critters really seem to be attracted to (unfortunately I don't have the source of that)

now, as far as a lighted cigarette keeping those little buggers away, that's most likely a result of the mosquitoes understanding the dangers second hand smoke presents

bottom line, don't worry about it...if you want to go out in the evenings go to any of the 'squares' the large gathering will lower the odds that you'll be the one that gets bit
Old 07-21-2021, 09:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,582 Times in 1,498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
Mosquitoes. They seem to prefer certain people. Deet is a commonly used bite preventer
I am not a doctor but vitamin B1 seems to work. B vitamins are water soluble so overdoes is unlikely. It takes a fairly large dose of B1 for it to work.

Those black lights were the rage a few years ago. They kill mostly moths that are attracted to the light. They do not work for mosquitoes.

Mosquitoes breed in fresh water, traditional control are fish.
In a "light" vein...remember a few years back when the joke going around had it that an evening's entertainment for a redneck was a bug-zapping light and a six pack?
Old 07-21-2021, 09:58 AM
Default Lifestyle Visit

Quote:

I wonder how you managed four lifestyle visits. We wanted to go on a second one since I was very sick the first time. We were told NO.
Closed Thread

Tags
mosquitos, home, record, lifestyle, visits

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.