Most desired floor: carpet, tile, laminate?

Closed Thread
Old 03-26-2013, 02:32 PM
Default Most desired floor: carpet, tile, laminate?

I am thinking of buying a house in The Villages, and I have gotten conflicting opinions on what flooring is most often preferred, all other things being equal in a house. Someone said carpet is most desired, unless you have a dog, therefore such a house would sell for as much as one with tile or laminate. I am generally referring to living and dining rooms, as even most house with tile or laminate have carpeted bedrooms.

Any thoughts on how the flooring should affect house price?
Old 03-26-2013, 03:23 PM
Veteran member

I like tile in the bathrooms and kitchen and laminate in the rest of the house. This is to keep an eye out for bugs. Just me. I hate bugs and snakes.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

I personally don't think the type of floor is going to affect the pricing of a home. Where does it stop? How about wallpaper or no? Color of the walls?

These are all things that can be changed to suit the new owner. Those with an eye toward looking past what is there that can be changed are no doubt going to get the "house" they want and then make it into what they want it to be.

Pretty rare to find one that 100% fills the bill.

Me? I would tile all the floors in the house....;whether the one I buy had it that way or not.

btk
Old 03-26-2013, 03:43 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybe View Post
I am thinking of buying a house in The Villages, and I have gotten conflicting opinions on what flooring is most often preferred, all other things being equal in a house. Someone said carpet is most desired, unless you have a dog, therefore such a house would sell for as much as one with tile or laminate. I am generally referring to living and dining rooms, as even most house with tile or laminate have carpeted bedrooms.

Any thoughts on how the flooring should affect house price?
The flooring is a personal preference thing. However, I doubt if it changes the price of a house very much unless it is dirty or worn.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:10 PM

I agree that the type of flooring is to each individual preference. I picked tiles/laminate floor for the high traffic areas, it's easier to clean and will maintain its original look longer.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:32 PM

Thanks everyone.

What about maintenance? Is keeping the grout in a tile floor clean a bigger problem and expense than carpet or laminate?
Old 03-26-2013, 07:44 PM

I agree with all on resale. people will look past that and the house is usually priced accordingly. you pay more for more expensive so you should get a little more.
The other option is wood. I have had all and have tile now in the main rooms. With a slab the tile is much colder and harder on your feet. The grout gets dirty faster. Laminate is easy to clean but is still hard. Some look pretty good. Although wood is more, I think is it the best choice. Warmer, softer, and easy maintenance.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:49 PM

I think any hard surface flooring is more preferred than carpet, love the look of wood and tile, but that's my preference. As said in previous posts, it's a personal preference but I do see on home sales that if tile or any hard surface is used it's listed as an upgrade many times. I have all tile and love it, used some area rugs and it's great.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:34 PM
Sage

Get what you like. If you buy a used home with some flooring you don't like, change it once you're in it.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:45 PM
Veteran member

I have been looking at a variety of floors for over a year. I very much dislike tile. Hard, cold, grout, sealing, etc. I've come to a decision FINALLY. Interlocking vinyl plank that looks like wood. No stopping and starting for kitchens and bathrooms. One uniform look. Wildwood Flooring was my choice. Father and sons operation. The vinyl plank has me not worry about any spills which I may not get to ie: the fridge leaking or an ice cube that fell on the floor or the dog having leaked because he couldn't hold it and also because the dog is getting older.

New Jersey,
New York
Germany,
California
Northern MN,
The Villages
Next stop?
Old 03-26-2013, 08:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
Get what you like. If you buy a used home with some flooring you don't like, change it once you're in it.
We have had all own through the years--real tongue-and-groove hardwood, all tile, and carpet. The wood was warm and gorgeous, but our first big dog's nails scratched the urethane coating, so that was a maintenance cost.

Then we went with all tile on the first floor of our MI condo (the complex is in sand dunes, so lots of sand dragged in), and that has been a dream. And I really like that look too. Stanley Steemer steamed the tile and grout after a few years, then sealed it, and we have no problem. Same thing here--all tile except for bedrooms, and grout sealed. I like the expansive look of all one kind of flooring in entry, kitchen, living ad dining room.

We don't walk around in our bare feet (don't have to, because there's no carpet to protect in main living areas), so we don't notice if it's cold or not. You might want to take that into consideration, how you live in the house.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:47 AM
Sage

nothing compares to real 3/4" t&g wood, (not laminates or engineered),

I think it may in fact add more value to a home than other types.
In a real estate listing the fact that there are hardwood floors would be emphasized, especially here in TV because not that many homes have it.

The reason is installation cost, it must be glued down, depending on wood choice I guess $15-$20 sq ft.
I did my own so can't give a real cost

It is warmer than tile for sure.

Second choice if the cost is a concern is engineered.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:53 AM

I agree with Jimbo, there is such a thing as a quality adjustment in an appraisal and HW flooring is certianly better quality than carpet or vinyl, therefore it does add value to a house. Does it add as much as the added cost for HW, no but it does look better, feel better and it can be redone to look new again unlike carpet or vinyl.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog53 View Post
I agree with all on resale. people will look past that and the house is usually priced accordingly. you pay more for more expensive so you should get a little more.
The other option is wood. I have had all and have tile now in the main rooms. With a slab the tile is much colder and harder on your feet. The grout gets dirty faster. Laminate is easy to clean but is still hard. Some look pretty good. Although wood is more, I think is it the best choice. Warmer, softer, and easy maintenance.
I agree. We've had it all in each of our homes. I would definitely go for the hardwood floors or laminate in the living room, dining room and bedrooms.......

Ditto, wood for the foyer since Floridians do not have to contend with mud season (like March in Vermont), snowy slushy season, etc.

Carpeting is softer on your feet and easier on your knees and legs than tile but tile is definitely cooler in a hot climate. It's an individual preference.

However, tile is a chore to wash and keep clean, unless one has a maid.
Large expanses of tile would be awfully hard to keep clean.......I know just in our kitchen, drips from putting things in the dishwasher......etc.

Tile in the bathrooms.....a big YES.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:30 PM
Gold member

I believe you will find that most (not all) go with carpet in the bedrooms. Probably split between wood and tile in living room. Tile in kitchen and baths. More important, for resale, is location, location, location which cannot be fixed.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.