Most desired floor: carpet, tile, laminate?

Closed Thread
Old 03-27-2013, 02:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman911 View Post
I believe you will find that most (not all) go with carpet in the bedrooms. Probably split between wood and tile in living room. Tile in kitchen and baths. More important, for resale, is location, location, location which cannot be fixed.
This would be my preferences too.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 03-27-2013, 03:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybe View Post
. Any thoughts on how the flooring should affect house price?
As a former realtor, it was the general belief that purchasers would pay more for real hardwood than for laminate, tile or good carpet.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:26 PM
Sage

I DO consider the flooring as a significant factor in purchase. I hate carpet. If one spot gets on it, you're on your knees. If it won't come out, you have to replace the whole darn room. It wears faster than anything else and takes most maintenance. Wood has can be damaged by water spills, mold, etc, and takes a delicate touch to clean, but it's the only surface worth dancing on and some types absorb shock and ease joint pain.

Plastic flooring looks ok, but it mimics wood, so it really IS artificial and lacks the quietness of walking on wood. How proud can you be saying "my flooring looks like wood, but it's plastic"? I am just going on and on.

Tile can be cold and hard but cleaning the grout is so seldom needed, I don't care. You can have the grout set at 1/8 inch if cleaning it scares you. Tile is not absorptive for shock. If you have back trouble or joint pain, stick with a brand of wood (perhaps an adhesive back) that is not as solid and probably less expensive, and you will get shock absorption instead of transmitting it to joints. I know this because of dancing on different surfaces.
For me, tile is as near permanent as I can get. Then I decorate with beautiful rugs for softness and doggie traction. Beside the beds and in bathrooms, put a cushy sweet little rug for soothing your bare feeties.
don't ask me for any more opinions, I'm all done.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
nothing compares to real 3/4" t&g wood, (not laminates or engineered),

I think it may in fact add more value to a home than other types.
In a real estate listing the fact that there are hardwood floors would be emphasized, especially here in TV because not that many homes have it.

The reason is installation cost, it must be glued down, depending on wood choice I guess $15-$20 sq ft.
I did my own so can't give a real cost

It is warmer than tile for sure.

Second choice if the cost is a concern is engineered.
Jimbo, you are the house with the dance floor. yay!
Old 03-27-2013, 08:05 PM
Sage

Having always had hard wood, and had to refinish repeatedly because of dog issues, we struggled with this question but opted for a very high end laminate throughout the house other than the tiled laundry room and baths. Brazilian cherry floors? ...Hasta luego. Hello laminate
Old 03-27-2013, 09:51 PM
Sage

All it takes is the right floor finish to avoid scratches from dogs.

It is availible
Old 03-28-2013, 07:00 AM
Veteran member

Carpeting in the bedrooms create a nice wam environment. The off white carpeting used in the living rooms is a real pain-in-the-.......! Impossible to keep clean, and now there is a bump in the middle of the room. (the carpet need restretching). The goal is to replace it with some sort of hard surface...tile/laminate/wood? Then maybe put an accent rug in front of the couch.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
all it takes is the right floor finish to avoid scratches from dogs.

It is availible
and the envelop please?
Old 03-28-2013, 07:17 AM
Sage

(...............drum roll...............)

Bill
Old 03-28-2013, 07:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I am thinking of buying a house in The Villages, and I have gotten conflicting opinions on what flooring is most often preferred, all other things being equal in a house. Someone said carpet is most desired, unless you have a dog, therefore such a house would sell for as much as one with tile or laminate. I am generally referring to living and dining rooms, as even most house with tile or laminate have carpeted bedrooms.

Any thoughts on how the flooring should affect house price?
Laminate! Absolutely the BEST investment on resales now! And, the best flooring for those with, leg,feet,hip issues and/or comfort. Also, the best for ease of cleaning and over-all long lasting beauty.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:27 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am having a quick closing on a house on 4/15. I picked it mainly on location, size, and price. It has all carpet. House and carpet are 9 years old. Carpet is pretty good, but I am leaning toward replacing it with a hard surface right after closing, before moving anything into house. Everyone's reasons for choice of flooring were so good that I am still undecided! I won't have a pet, so I am thinking maybe laminate or engineered wood rather than tile. I was originally thinking tile because I like it in a friend's house. I expect to rent it out a few months a year, for however that might affect what I should pick.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:57 AM
Platinum member

I'm a carpet girl. Being on a concrete slab is cold in the winter. I hate area rugs.
I also don't love washing tile floors.
We have a Hoover carpet machine and have never had a problem keeping our
carpets clean. However, we do not have any pets.
To each their own I guess.
Get what YOU like and don't worry about resale.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patfla06 View Post
I'm a carpet girl. Being on a concrete slab is cold in the winter. I hate area rugs.
I also don't love washing tile floors.
We have a Hoover carpet machine and have never had a problem keeping our
carpets clean. However, we do not have any pets.
To each their own I guess.
Get what YOU like and don't worry about resale.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I am thinking of buying a house in The Villages, and I have gotten conflicting opinions on what flooring is most often preferred, all other things being equal in a house. Someone said carpet is most desired, unless you have a dog, therefore such a house would sell for as much as one with tile or laminate. I am generally referring to living and dining rooms, as even most house with tile or laminate have carpeted bedrooms.

I think it's simply a matter of personal taste. We bought our home with carpeting, and although very nice I preferred wood flooring,so we changed it. Kept the carpeting in the bedrooms. Buy what you love and you won"t be sorry.No matter what you buy, it might not appeal to a new owner so I don't think it would make a difference in pricing your home for resale.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

it's really a personal preference. Tile I find to be cold on feet and hard on knees as you age. Laminate is beautiful but can easily scratch or if you drop something cause damage. Carpet is nice but the dangerous outgasing is a concern for me but then again so are new cabinets and the odor they give off. I would not get carpet for pets but laminate may hold up better. Sort of like choosing your countertops, just what you prefer. Take whatever they give you and you can always change your mind down the road.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.