Most Square Ent. Not Good

Closed Thread
Old 05-20-2017, 06:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail33or View Post
(LOL) I really was just "stirring" the pot. I appreciate the fact that there is "anything" in the way of entertainment in the squares. Where I moved from there was some free music in the City Park only Fri/Sat and only in the Summer. I am sure it is very difficult to even find any acts for a year round venue in 3 Squares. However I still think there should be more SHADE in the squares for Florida Summers as the bigger acts create a shade area shortage. I have seen other places use triangular shaped sails tied off at high points. They can be easily taken down in high winds, etc.
You should contact them with your ideas--
Contact Us — The Villages Entertainment

Not sure if the Villages' management/developer reads TOTV.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,357 Times in 2,392 Posts

Are you "stirring" the pot about shade?
Old 05-20-2017, 07:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
Should be 8 days a week.

The Villages Florida
Really like your signature. We feel the same. Proud to be a Villager and American.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
I know it is supposed to be free and I know they do not get paid much but I generally see very, very small attendance at most of the squares entertainment. Most are just Karaoke to backing tracks, a guy that fakes guitar to backing tracks, etc. (exceptions we know are Johnny Dee/Wild, Paisley Craze(once a month), Bob's Rock Shop and a few others. You can only see Rocky do Duke of Earl and Mustang Sally just so many times. I might suggest that they eliminate 4 nights and use that money to get 3 days a week good acts. Heck, I'd chip in cash to see Buzz Cats. 365 days a year is really not being honest. And 5:00-6:00 PM in the Summer is a joke(HOT). Just have 3 hours.
And the part I hate the most..... when they put a gun to your head and make you go.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
And the part I hate the most..... when they put a gun to your head and make you go.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:01 AM
Platinum member

Just living amongst old folks is quite entertaining. I don't have to go to the squares. Last night I was entertained by my neighbors arguing over an unlikely hypothetical situation. She started by saying, "If I won the lottery...." They then had an exchange wherein they shared ideas about what to do with the money. When it got to the part where she said she would gift some money to her sister, the hubby went nuts. They had an amazing back and forth, and ultimately she won by threatening to not allow him to purchase the stable of fine cars he had earlier stated he would collect. Great entertainment....and free with no parking issues.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

For free, take.

For buy, complain.

The entertainment at the squares is paid for by the merchants at the squares. Next time you go get an ice cream, tell the owner you miss the Boston Philharmonic.

Gracie Girl. That was unnecessarily SNARKY.

Shame on you.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
Just living amongst old folks is quite entertaining. I don't have to go to the squares. Last night I was entertained by my neighbors arguing over an unlikely hypothetical situation. She started by saying, "If I won the lottery...." They then had an exchange wherein they shared ideas about what to do with the money. When it got to the part where she said she would gift some money to her sister, the hubby went nuts. They had an amazing back and forth, and ultimately she won by threatening to not allow him to purchase the stable of fine cars he had earlier stated he would collect. Great entertainment....and free with no parking issues.
Nice. What time are the two for one beers? And could you please SAVE me a seat?
Old 05-20-2017, 09:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
For free, take.

For buy, complain.

The entertainment at the squares is paid for by the merchants at the squares. Next time you go get an ice cream, tell the owner you miss the Boston Philharmonic.

Shame on you.
Give credit where credit is due...One of the " Best " replies.

You summed it up perfectly with ( 6 ) words and one sentence.

PS: To the person who posted...Check out " Valerie Gillespie's Ensemble " the next time they perform ..

Valerie's group charges big $$ at various venues all over Florida...Here in the Villages....Free..
Old 05-20-2017, 10:52 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,611 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
For free, take.

For buy, complain.

Shame on you.

No (free) good deed is appreciated?

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-20-2017, 11:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
I know it is supposed to be free and I know they do not get paid much but I generally see very, very few people at the square for many acts. (exceptions we know are Johnny Dee/Wild, Paisley Craze(once a month), Bob's Rock Shop, MPire and a few others. You can only see Rocky do Duke of Earl and Mustang Sally just so many times. I might suggest that they eliminate 2-3 nights and use the combined funds to bring in more Orlando based entertainment. Heck, I'd chip in cash to see Buzz Cats (or guarantee to go and buy drinks). 365 days a year times 3 squares is a LOT of events to have. And 5:00-6:00 PM in the Summer is (HOT). Maybe just have 3 hours.
I agree but I am more put off by the professional karaoke singers and DJs that are put up in the squares under the definition of "live music". However, I don't think that we need to go outside The Villages for talent. There are a lot of good bands here that for some unknown reason never get to play the squares.

And as someone who has played in the squares, I can tell you that the pay is not bad. At least it was when the previous entertainment department chair was running things. I don't know if that has changed or not.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Really like your signature. We feel the same. Proud to be a Villager and American.
Thank you. It's important to respect the rule of law, and the deed restrictions of the villages. It's what makes America and the villages great. God Bless America.

Free Golf and 365 music are part of our fabric. like PoIiticaI banter.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:08 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnobles View Post
We enjoy the entertainment.
We do too.....

Have noticed that Scooter the DJ, whom we adore, does tend to play the same things every time and does the same jokes, blah..blah....but we still enjoy it. Its still lively and fun and gets us out on the dance floor.

Rocky and the Rollers, they play the same stuff as well, but we also still like to go see them....

So I vote leave the entertainment alone.....
Old 05-20-2017, 11:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
Give credit where credit is due...One of the " Best " replies.

You summed it up perfectly with ( 6 ) words and one sentence.

PS: To the person who posted...Check out " Valerie Gillespie's Ensemble " the next time they perform ..

Valerie's group charges big $$ at various venues all over Florida...Here in the Villages....Free..
Upcoming Events | Events | Valerie Gillespie

Looks like they will be here in a few weeks at Lake Sumter Landing and Brownwood.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:48 PM
Sage

Fortunately, The privately owned and operated entertainment department gets their marching orders from the vccdd, with no outside input. Thankfully, they have left well enough alone for the last 61/2 years.

Tags
backing, days, good, tracks, week

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.