Motor Vehicle vs Pedestrian fatal accident The Village of Dunedin

Closed Thread
Old 10-22-2021, 05:13 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape Artist View Post
I only arrived in TV in the spring so I'm bracing myself for when the snowbirds arrive and the traffic really gets out of control! At times, I've found traffic in TV worse than I had anticipated, but at other times, there's very little depending where you drive.
It’s because they are all driving the speed limit. Like a funeral procession except in both lanes
Old 10-22-2021, 05:25 AM

Florida in general seems to have an epidemic of fast, irresponsible drivers. it's not limited to TV. in fact compared to other cities, it's downright sedate here
Old 10-22-2021, 05:43 AM

Sorry to hear about the fatal incident, but speed is usually not the reason for the crash. It is inattention. People are not watching where they are going. Add to that vision issues for people who should no longer be driving. This state needs to retest older drivers (vision and road test).
Old 10-22-2021, 05:45 AM

Law-enforcement needs to get out of the parking lot and on patrol. There are far too many stop sign sliders and red light runners! It is interesting to note how many law-enforcement vehicles show up after an accident.
Old 10-22-2021, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
The other news outlet stated that the gentleman walked into the path of the oncoming pickup truck according to the state police, no mention of speeding or the driver being at fault. It's very sad that this happened but the OP is missing some of the facts.
You know, speeding could be one issue but pickups have gotten ridiculously huge as well.....mowing down anything unfortunate enough to get in their path.

Self driving vehicles just can't come soon enough!

Joe
Old 10-22-2021, 06:35 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,051 Times in 523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastskiguy View Post
You know, speeding could be one issue but pickups have gotten ridiculously huge as well.....mowing down anything unfortunate enough to get in their path.

Self driving vehicles just can't come soon enough!

Joe
If the guy had stepped out in front of an electric car, he might be just as dead. It doesn't matter how big pick ups are if you simply stay out of their path.
Old 10-22-2021, 06:44 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,125 Times in 873 Posts

Even though it sounds like the pedestrian was at fault from a post on here, it's still a good reminder to always walk on the side of oncoming traffic so you can see what's coming at you and maybe have a chance to avoid damage.
Old 10-22-2021, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncic50 View Post
At approximately 6:34 PM, Oct. 19th, a 69 yr old Villages Resident was struck and killed by a motor vehicle while walking on Piney Woods Path at Valleybrook Way in the Village of Dunedin. The victim died from his injuries. Even though not clearly posted, this area as per Section 17-5 has a 20 mph speed limit.

We recently moved back to The Village of Osceola Hills in TV. Our house is on Deskin Lane which has a designated (but NOT posted) 20 mph speed limit. While out walking on Deskin Lane, cars and trucks zoom past us going 30 mph and more. Like almost all of TV streets there are NO posted 20 mph speed signs here.

On Sept. 9th, I telephoned the Sumter County Public Works to inquire about having 20 mph speed signs posted on Deskin Lane. The County Commissioner stated that he would look into it. In a very short time I received a call from a Sumter County Sheriff's Supervisor. The SCSO Supervisor was receptive to my concerns, conducted himself in a highly professional manner and is a great ambassador for the SCSO. SCSO placed a Mobile Electronic Speed Monitor on Deskin Lane near St. Stephen Street. Most motorist slowed down when seeing the device but others just flew by repeatedly at 25-35 mph. After about 3 weeks the sign was relocated to another street in TV.

Unfortunately the SCSO is understaffed and under paid so the likelihood of the SCSO doing more traffic enforcement does not appear to be happening in the near future. We residents of The Villages collectively pay a lot of money in taxes and unfortunately more people will die in TV from motor vehicle vs motor vehicle and motor vehicle vs pedestrian accidents. SLOW DOWN people. We need more SCSO's on the streets.

Like most noteworthy news articles the 2 1/2" long article regarding Tuesday's fatal accident was buried in Section C, Page 4 of The Villages Daily Sun. Instead of hiding news worthy items like this, which is a disservice to Villages Residents; stories like the fatal accident should be on the front page of the paper. We deserve better!
We read another account of the incident which stated the victim stepped into the path of the vehicle. Even at the speed limit, it may well have been unavoidable. 🙏
Old 10-22-2021, 07:01 AM

You ain't seen speed until you lived on Boone Ct. in Orange Blossom. It's Talledega my friends. Cars, trucks, golf carts, motorcycles, Segways, walkers, joggers and those true daredevils, bicyclists. An everyday occurrence is to hear tires screeching, horns blowing. curses being exchanged. Makes for quite the theater.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:05 AM

You are right. Travel US 19 from Clearwater to South Pasadena. TV is tame compared to that.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:06 AM
Default Sometimes takes more than one to make an accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncic50 View Post
At approximately 6:34 PM, Oct. 19th, a 69 yr old Villages Resident was struck and killed by a motor vehicle while walking on Piney Woods Path at Valleybrook Way in the Village of Dunedin. The victim died from his injuries. Even though not clearly posted, this area as per Section 17-5 has a 20 mph speed limit.

We recently moved back to The Village of Osceola Hills in TV. Our house is on Deskin Lane which has a designated (but NOT posted) 20 mph speed limit. While out walking on Deskin Lane, cars and trucks zoom past us going 30 mph and more. Like almost all of TV streets there are NO posted 20 mph speed signs here.

On Sept. 9th, I telephoned the Sumter County Public Works to inquire about having 20 mph speed signs posted on Deskin Lane. The County Commissioner stated that he would look into it. In a very short time I received a call from a Sumter County Sheriff's Supervisor. The SCSO Supervisor was receptive to my concerns, conducted himself in a highly professional manner and is a great ambassador for the SCSO. SCSO placed a Mobile Electronic Speed Monitor on Deskin Lane near St. Stephen Street. Most motorist slowed down when seeing the device but others just flew by repeatedly at 25-35 mph. After about 3 weeks the sign was relocated to another street in TV.

Unfortunately the SCSO is understaffed and under paid so the likelihood of the SCSO doing more traffic enforcement does not appear to be happening in the near future. We residents of The Villages collectively pay a lot of money in taxes and unfortunately more people will die in TV from motor vehicle vs motor vehicle and motor vehicle vs pedestrian accidents. SLOW DOWN people. We need more SCSO's on the streets.

Like most noteworthy news articles the 2 1/2" long article regarding Tuesday's fatal accident was buried in Section C, Page 4 of The Villages Daily Sun. Instead of hiding news worthy items like this, which is a disservice to Villages Residents; stories like the fatal accident should be on the front page of the paper. We deserve better!
I am not assigning blame to the driver or walker.
I drive a lot in the The Villages during all hours and see so many people walking with their backs to oncoming traffic, wearing dark clothes and listening to ipods or talking totally distracted with their friends, that they never hear or see me coming. Used to be that we were taught as kids to walk facing oncoming traffic and pay attention to what's around us.

Drivers are speeding while checking their phone for messages, chatting, conducting business or trying to find that thing that they dropped on the floor board.

Everyone needs to pay attention to what the heck is going on around them when they are out walking, biking or driving.

Enough said. Hope some folks change their walking & driving habits but, am not holding my breath.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:09 AM

This is an all over problem. All our streets are 20 but few do it.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,583 Times in 1,499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingjunior View Post
Install speed cameras. Once people start getting tickets in the mail word will get out and people will slow down.
Agreed. I’ve noticed some intersections have red-light cameras. Why not speed cameras as well? Both serve the same purpose. Stop lights and speed limits are there for good reasons and people drivers do NOT have the discretion to ignore those reasons.

Driving is a privilege, not a right.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:39 AM

Speed Cameras and shut down the gates, resident access only.
Problem solved.

The larger daily problem is the non residents that cut through TV.

Contractor access by approval only, and a contractor badge.
If they get clocked speeding, they lose their badge.

I had Johnny Nascar tailgating/ Drafting me and then blow past me at the Hwy 441 / Morse gate.
I rode the center white line to the gate and then at the gate, I stopped hard before the sensor. That car hit the gate arm.
Nice $250 penalty ( Gate Arm repair) for being an idiot.

Mr Nascar assumed I would trip the sensor first.

NOT!!!!!!

Hee Hee

Last edited by butlerism; 10-22-2021 at 07:47 AM.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,305 Times in 2,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by butlerism View Post
Speed Cameras and shut down the gates, resident access only.
Problem solved.

The larger daily problem is the non residents that cut through TV.

Contractor access by approval only, and a contractor badge.
If they get clocked speeding, they lose their badge.

I had Juhnny Nascar tailgating me and then blow past me at the Hwy 441 / Morse gate.
I rode the center white line to the gate and then at the gate, I stopped hard before the sensor. That car hit the gate arm.

Hee Hee
Calling for more enforcement while publicly bragging about breaking the law and causing a traffic incident. Interesting attitude.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Closed Thread

Tags
mph, scso, vehicle, motor, speed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.