Motorhomes

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-17-2020, 09:06 AM
Alaska Butch Alaska Butch is offline
Member
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 40
Thanks: 6
Thanked 40 Times in 13 Posts
Default Motorhomes

We have a place in TV and are wanting to upgrade our motorhome to do some longer adventures. Any pros and cons in class A diesel pushers. We have a v10 Winnebago 36’ now but want to explore possible upgrades. Im familiar with the price differences. Looking for other pros and cons. Also anyone selling let us know!
  #2  
Old 10-17-2020, 09:36 AM
Denny6083 Denny6083 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Fernandina
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Have a 2018 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40X with only 7,543 miles. 380 Cummins Diesel. Has stack washer/dryer,dishwasher,Residential refrigerator,etc.
Kept in undercover storage and with A/C on since new.
List new was $305,032.
Asking $178,500.
  #3  
Old 10-17-2020, 10:54 AM
John41 John41 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 501
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1,024 Times in 268 Posts
Default

any longer and some campgrounds won’t have sites for you
there is some issue with diesel fuel availability as seasons change in
different parts of the country
availability of repair shops limited

we had a 24’ gas motorhome and even then some of the better sites were a tight squeeze.
  #4  
Old 10-17-2020, 11:37 AM
dewilson58's Avatar
dewilson58 dewilson58 is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Posts: 6,613
Thanks: 308
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,140 Posts
Default

Diesel fuel supply issues = Fake News



Two million semi's on USA roads..............not too many of them running out of fuel.


Besides the 25,000 locomotives burning 6 gallons per mile.
__________________
Mr. Helpful
  #5  
Old 10-17-2020, 11:49 AM
dewilson58's Avatar
dewilson58 dewilson58 is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Posts: 6,613
Thanks: 308
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,140 Posts
Default

There are operating benefits to diesel as well.
__________________
Mr. Helpful
  #6  
Old 10-17-2020, 03:54 PM
John41 John41 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 501
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1,024 Times in 268 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Diesel fuel supply issues = Fake News



Two million semi's on USA roads..............not too many of them running out of fuel.


Besides the 25,000 locomotives burning 6 gallons per mile.
Look up diesel fuel gelling in cold weather.
Also blending for local weather conditions availability where’re you’re at and going to.
  #7  
Old 10-17-2020, 04:05 PM
John41 John41 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 501
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1,024 Times in 268 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
There are operating benefits to diesel as well.
PRO. The main advantage of a diesel is the torque it delivers at various rpms. That is a big advantage for large motor homes climbing mountains.

CON. The price of diesel fuel has risen and repair costs are through the roof.
  #8  
Old 10-17-2020, 05:43 PM
dewilson58's Avatar
dewilson58 dewilson58 is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Posts: 6,613
Thanks: 308
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,140 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
Look up diesel fuel gelling in cold weather.
Also blending for local weather conditions availability where’re you’re at and going to.

From the Midwest.....................know all about diesel fuel. There are not availability issues for winter mix diesel. Many truckers, RV owners, tractor users just keep the additive available to mix if necessary. The additive can be purchases online or at truckstops.


Again, Availability Issues = Fake News.
__________________
Mr. Helpful
  #9  
Old 10-17-2020, 07:17 PM
tophcfa's Avatar
tophcfa tophcfa is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I happen to be.
Posts: 2,413
Thanks: 1,023
Thanked 2,328 Times in 727 Posts
Default

Whatever you do, if you buy a diesel, which I am a big fan of, buy an older vehicle that pre-dates all the new vehicle emission requirements. I have a few friends that are going through horror stories with newer diesel engines. All of the new emission crap added to the engines cause constant and very expensive problems. Good luck : )
  #10  
Old 10-17-2020, 07:32 PM
vintageogauge vintageogauge is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Posts: 2,332
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1,504 Times in 492 Posts
Default

If you are buying new don't expect much of a discount as demand is outpacing supply. The last Class A I bought was at 70% of MSRP plus tax which is typical, I recently got a quote on a Class B that listed for $130,000 the discount was $1,500.00 on a cash deal with no trade. All the good ones are gone and they are making hay while the sun is shining. I've been buying new RV's since 1972 and have never seen anything like this before.
  #11  
Old 10-17-2020, 07:35 PM
Mrprez's Avatar
Mrprez Mrprez is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: DeSoto
Posts: 312
Thanks: 523
Thanked 427 Times in 126 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
If you are buying new don't expect much of a discount as demand is outpacing supply. The last Class A I bought was at 70% of MSRP plus tax which is typical, I recently got a quote on a Class B that listed for $130,000 the discount was $1,500.00 on a cash deal with no trade. All the good ones are gone and they are making hay while the sun is shining. I've been buying new RV's since 1972 and have never seen anything like this before.
We were able to sell our Class B for more than we paid for it. The buyers had gotten skunked on another one and paid our asking price, no dickering. They didn’t even test drive it!
__________________
This space for rent
  #12  
Old 10-17-2020, 08:55 PM
vintageogauge vintageogauge is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Posts: 2,332
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1,504 Times in 492 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
We were able to sell our Class B for more than we paid for it. The buyers had gotten skunked on another one and paid our asking price, no dickering. They didn’t even test drive it!
It's amazing what you can get for them now. We had 5 Pleasure-way Class B's and sold 4 of them for what we paid for them new. We have a 24 foot 2019 Class C that we will be selling in a couple weeks as it's just too big for what we do now.
  #13  
Old 10-17-2020, 10:16 PM
John41 John41 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 501
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1,024 Times in 268 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
From the Midwest.....................know all about diesel fuel. There are not availability issues for winter mix diesel. Many truckers, RV owners, tractor users just keep the additive available to mix if necessary. The additive can be purchases online or at truckstops.


Again, Availability Issues = Fake News.
This is not a Cousin Eddie style motorhome you are familiar with.
They are in a big diesel pusher fancy motorhome on vacation and they are going to stop to put in an additive ? Kinda like putting oil in the gasoline of 2 cycle engines in the good old days. LOL

what were you doing hanging out at all those truck stops?
  #14  
Old 10-18-2020, 05:28 AM
Back9 Back9 is offline
Member
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 81
Thanks: 59
Thanked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Whatever you do, if you buy a diesel, which I am a big fan of, buy an older vehicle that pre-dates all the new vehicle emission requirements. I have a few friends that are going through horror stories with newer diesel engines. All of the new emission crap added to the engines cause constant and very expensive problems. Good luck : )
Yes - thank you for mentioning.

The EPA has essentially declared war on the diesel engine and it is horrible. (Same for the gas engine too. I have bunch of Scott Kilmer links on that if anyone's interested. )
  #15  
Old 10-18-2020, 06:17 AM
krisk49 krisk49 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have one. Its a 2004 Newmar Mountaineer Deisel. 66K miles. Great Shape ready to go. At Alhambra. Want 55K or offer.
Contact Kris @ krisk49@comcast.net or 352-430-3612
Reply

Tags
cons, pros, motorhomes, upgrades, familiar

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 PM.