Movers, pods, DYI....oh my!!

Closed Thread
Old 09-29-2020, 09:23 PM
Default Movers, pods, DYI....oh my!!

We purchased a winter home in the Villages late spring of this year and then returned to Kansas City. We will be heading back soon and want to bring a couple rooms of furniture and personal stuff. Initially, we thought a pod would be the way to go but they seem as costly as most movers. Any recommendations?

Barbara and Bill Millard
Old 09-29-2020, 10:27 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,346 Times in 734 Posts

Within the past 45 days we have moved utilizing a 16 foot pod and rented a 16 foot diy truck for a 600 mile move.

The pod was 2,200, the truck was 259 plus fuel.

We had 30 days with the pod. We used 7 days to load, trucking took six days and we had 3 to unload. For the budget truck I had a total of four days.

The pod was perfect for what we used it for: heavy tool boxes, a hobby that I have that involves heavy items. Also items which require time to get loaded a and rigged in a space efficient manner. The truck was good for bulky household items. On the loading end I hired two 20 something neighbors at 60.00 each for the pod and one for the truck. I had plenty of time to consider what I really needed relative to the effort involved.

My wife and I unloaded it. We are not weight lifters but I know how to use furniture movers and a hand truck. We were able unload one then the second a week later. I was happy I had some arthritis pain NSAIDS on hand.

Currently truck rentals are cheap. Is one better than the other? I guess it depends. But I can answer any questions that you have.

Edit to add: I do not recommend Budget truck rental. Poorly maintained trucks, dirty, poor customer service, reservations taken with no trucks to fill the reservation. Try Penske trucks use "Movingfriends" code to save 10%. I receive no benefit by recommending them.

Last edited by Toymeister; 09-29-2020 at 11:10 PM.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmillard11 View Post
We purchased a winter home in the Villages late spring of this year and then returned to Kansas City. We will be heading back soon and want to bring a couple rooms of furniture and personal stuff. Initially, we thought a pod would be the way to go but they seem as costly as most movers. Any recommendations?

Barbara and Bill Millard
Do NOT bring your "up north" furniture to Florida. Styles here are very different and you will soon want something lighter and sunnier. Save the money you would have spent moving it and use it to buy something new.

A pod worked great for us. We loaded it at our leisure, then had it picked up. When we arrived here we called and it was delivered on the day we requested. They come in several sizes. The medium one was perfect for our personal stuff, kitchen gear, a desk, 2 bookcases, 2 scooters, and hobby stuff. Cost was much less than hiring movers.
Closed Thread

Tags
movers, furniture, personal, stuff, initially

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.