Simple request - can we stay on topic

Closed Thread
Old 08-30-2007, 09:12 PM
Eternal Member
Default Simple request - can we stay on topic

Okay - this is a vent or a rant but I am serious.

Often, I go into a post about a certain subject and all of a sudden the post switches from the original post to something entirely different. For example, I was into a post about Van Shuttle Rates and all of a sudden we are talking about carts and batteries and charging, etc.

I think that it is doing a big disservice to those that would like to know about Carts and batteries and charging, etc instead on Van Shuttles Rates (or anything else for that matter). Who would go to Van Shuttle Rates to find out this info. One post started talking about Cart Screens. Same thing - maybe some one is interested in Cart Screens but they are not going to see it in a post about something different.

When you switch topics inside a topic would you please start another topic so that other interested people could get involved?

Also, when someone asks a specific question, would it be possible to keep on track? A post on pizza asked where to get a good pizza in the TV area. The next thing I know, we are talking about pizza in CT and NY and Chicago. That is not close to TV. The first person should have started a new post with the topic of Best Pizza in the USA.

Sorry for the vent but I get upset going to a post to get some info and oranges become apples.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:02 PM
Default Re: Simple Request

It's called "thread hi-jacking" and it's bad netiqette. Some side thoughts and discussions happen on any forum, but if it's worth talk'in 'bout, then do the subject right and start it's own thread.
8)
Old 08-31-2007, 07:13 AM

The Chat Room is also great for carrying a thread into different areas. Caveman all too often I have wanted to go back and find something that I read. I couldn't find it cause my golf carts got mixed in with the pizza, that was over by the town square. I too will have to be mindful of staying on point.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:58 AM

Caveman -

I totally agree. As a non-resident I've become a regular reader of TOTV in trying to decide whether TV is where I want to retire eventually. I come into the site frequently looking for more info, and get frustrated when I go into an interesting looking topic and find out the thread has nothing to do with the subject.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I totally agree that it can very difficult to go back and find information you thought you previously saw on TOTV. Believe me it's not just this site but I have found it to be the case on most of these set ups. I usually try the search feature to help find what I'm looking for.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:30 AM

EXCELLENT COMMENT. YES,YES,YES, LETS STAY ON THE TOPIC ONCE IT IS IN PLACE. WHEN WE TALK ABOUT DOGS I DO NOT WANT TO READ THAT YOU ARE FROM ALASKA AND HAVE A SNOW HUT. AS MENTIONED, USE A DIFFERENT THREAD TO START THE IGLOO TOPIC. I AM AS GUILTY AS MOST OF YOU BUT I AM GOING TO CORRECT MY WRONGDOINGS. TAKE CARE KAR GUY
Old 08-31-2007, 09:05 AM
Veteran member

Ah....so you've noticed that posters don't stay on topic eh?

Oh...how thoughts wander. Just the other day I was driving along Buena Vista and I noticed all the speeding going on and it reminded me of several truisms in some of the topic threads. As I was driving, I was sort of deciding whether to go to Home Depot or Lowe's and couldn't make up my mind....so I went back home...went on line to TOTV to read about which store is best....and now I still can't make up my mind. Speaking of stores.....any recommendations on where the best buys can be found at supermarkets...i.e. Publix, Albertson',s or Walmart. Publix is convenient....but have you noticed how they always seem to be moving things around......is this just to confuse us....to keep us in the store longer...do ya think? Oh and BTW, stay away from that Chinese place behind Publix at Mulberry Grove, I don't think it's chicken in the chow mein......somebody said something about lots of ferral cats in the TV in another thread on TOTV and I've not noticed any ferral cats around....so that could be one explanation. And if this post is driving you snot flying, howling at the moon whacko.....it should.

CAVEMAN.....WELL SAID!!! You're a man after my own heart. This is indeed a worthy vent....and somebody finally had the cohones to say something. :bigthumbsup:
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 08-31-2007, 09:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I also have a simple request, the title of this topic should be "Simple request - can we stay on topic". It will help people know what it's about without having to open it.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:47 AM
Veteran member

Hey Golfnut....the title of Zcaveman's topic got you to open it...hmmm? I can hear him laughing out loud....in a sinister Bela Lugosi kind of way "bwaaahahahaaaa". The TOTV topic Sex In The Villages is one of the leaders with respect to page view hits.....but most posts there are either off topic or bland....a real let-down (sigh). But, none-the-less, I agree with you that topics should be appropriately named.....unless of course....someone wants to play a little ruse for comedic entertainment or shock effect.......which I sometimes like to do....and which reminds me....it's been a while since I did this.....and have you noticed that I like to use elipses.....

Apologies to Caveman.....for this somewhat off-topic post.
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 08-31-2007, 09:57 AM
Eternal Member

I'm new to this forum but have seen the same thing on other forums.
Unfortunately, it's a lot like a conversation where it starts off on one topic and quickly changes to another. Ever play that old gam "Telephone" with a group of people?
I agree we ahould try to stay on topic, and aptly name threads. But I'll probably drift every now again....
Old 08-31-2007, 10:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member

JZ, Never noticed your elipses, but I'm sure the period has worn off your keyboard long ago. So do we need to start another topic now?
Old 09-01-2007, 05:50 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: Simple request - can we stay on topic

Cave Dude, take a chill pill.....this is like herding cats ;D
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 09-01-2007, 09:31 PM
Eternal Member
Default Re: Simple request - can we stay on topic

I see someone changed the title to make it more explanatory. Thanks..

No chill pills around so I will have a vodka and OJ!!

I am glad to see that a couple of posts that were embedded in other posts are now in their own posts. That is all I wanted.

Thanks to all who listened.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.