Moving: Need Your Advice

Closed Thread
Old 12-18-2017, 12:17 PM
Default Moving: Need Your Advice

Our house will be sold next month and we will be coming down to The Villages to look for a new home. We will be staying at a hotel during this time, possibly a month or so. We will need to have our mail forwarded, and was wondering if it would be best to obtain a PO Box from the post office or rent a box from a UPS store. Any advice as to which would be the better option would be appreciated.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

We got a usps Po box when we did that last year but in hindsight I would have gone WITH UpS STORE box because po box can't receive packages from other carriers. Usps is cheaper though. The downside to a ups box is you can't forward us mail to another address when you get your home from a ups store or other similar so you have to consider that.

That being said, we rented for 2 months and found our home in 2 weeks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:07 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

The post office is pretty inconvenient since it is a bit off campus (holds true for Lady Lake, Wildwood and Fruitland Park). What one couple did was forward mail to their friends up north who, in turn, sent the mail to their hotel here once a week. Or maybe call the hotel and see if it would be okay to forward your mail to that address.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-18-2017, 02:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

My friend used to have her mail delivered to one of the post offices c/o General Delivery. Then she would pick it up every few days or once a week.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:43 PM

If you have a relative or good friend that lives here have your mail forwarded to them.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:48 PM
Gold member
Default Based on experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll With It View Post
Our house will be sold next month and we will be coming down to The Villages to look for a new home. We will be staying at a hotel during this time, possibly a month or so. We will need to have our mail forwarded, and was wondering if it would be best to obtain a PO Box from the post office or rent a box from a UPS store. Any advice as to which would be the better option would be appreciated.
Mail forwarding is not 100% effective. Unless you would rather the people who bought your previous address home to have your new address it would be wise to leave them 3-4 self addressed stamped envelopes. Frankly, it is easy to get your neww address anyway so no real need to TRY to hide it.

Amusing to me. We received a jury duty notice from our old address. First one I tossed. Second one sounded earnist so I sent it back return receipt and suggest they check their records.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,607 Times in 5,195 Posts

I used a usps box and had my packages sent to the hotel. I found that the post office on Teague Trail in Lady Lake was less crowded than others.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

You didn't mention which areas you'll be searching and which hotel you would be staying. If you're staying at the Waterfront Hotel at Lake Sumter Landing (LSL) and you'll be looking for home in the southern area from LSL down to Brownwood. I would rent a box at the UPS store at the Winn Dixie Shopping Center on CR 466A and Powell Rd.

The UPS Store - #6452, THE VILLAGES, FL -

If you're looking in the Pine Ridge, Osceola Hills or Fenney areas, then I would use the Safe Ship Store at Colony Shopping Center on CR 466A.

SafeShip.com | Pack and Ship Franchise Business Opportunity

If you're staying in the Spanish Springs (SS) area at the Holiday Inn or the Towneplace Suites by Marriott and are looking in the area north of 466, I would rent a box from Safe Ship at Southern Trace Shopping Center.

The post offices are not as convenietly located and won't accept Fedex or UPS packages, so I think the private post offices would be the best choice.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:02 PM
Platinum member

I would go with opening a box with The UPS Store.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:43 AM

Thank you for all your suggestions. Working out all the details and so much to think about.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
You didn't mention which areas you'll be searching and which hotel you would be staying. If you're staying at the Waterfront Hotel at Lake Sumter Landing (LSL) and you'll be looking for home in the southern area from LSL down to Brownwood. I would rent a box at the UPS store at the Winn Dixie Shopping Center on CR 466A and Powell Rd.

The UPS Store - #6452, THE VILLAGES, FL -

If you're looking in the Pine Ridge, Osceola Hills or Fenney areas, then I would use the Safe Ship Store at Colony Shopping Center on CR 466A.

If you're staying in the Spanish Springs (SS) area at the Holiday Inn or the Towneplace Suites by Marriott and are looking in the area north of 466, I would rent a box from Safe Ship at Southern Trace Shopping Center.

The post offices are not as convenietly located and won't accept Fedex or UPS packages, so I think the private post offices would be the best choice.
This is excellent information.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts
Default Moving: Need Your Advice

Remember. You cannot change your "private mailbox" (ups store, pack and ship store etc) address to your new local address when you move to your home in order to get your forwarded mail reforwarded. Post office does not permit it since those boxes are not usps recognized addresses. (I used to manage a UPS Store).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:41 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll With It View Post
Do like your name................A good reminder.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,125 Times in 2,240 Posts

Just a thought, could you work a deal with the buyer of your new home to collect your mail, for a week at a time, and then fedex or ups to your current location for a few weeks? If you could work this out with them, it would greatly uncomplicate your life. You could give the new owner something for their trouble, and to cover the costs of the packing and shipping. Or possibly they could work with a neighbor or relative to do this for you.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:35 PM

We rented a box for a couple of months at the UPS store on Burnsed, worked great, also right next to grocery store.
Closed Thread

Tags
advice, box, month, obtain, wondering

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.