Moving from NY to TV

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2020, 10:32 AM
Default Moving from NY to TV

Hi, I read all about what to do to become a Florida resident. But I have not read anything about what paperworks are needed in NY state. If you have moved Domicile from NY to FL, could you share that info? If you did, did you get any notification from the NY state? How long did it take to complete the process of becoming FL resident?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:35 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Some info:

Changing New York State domicile status to Florida (or any other state) :: Connecticut Tax Attorney Goldstein Jones
Old 11-24-2020, 10:56 AM

Thanks for the info but my question really is by notifying NY state, it might cause for them to audit me. If I do everything required in FL and do nothing in NY, maybe it's better and NY does not notice my move other than I no longer file NY state tax return.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scbang View Post
Thanks for the info but my question really is by notifying NY state, it might cause for them to audit me. If I do everything required in FL and do nothing in NY, maybe it's better and NY does not notice my move other than I no longer file NY state tax return.
This is not advice.
>When you file your last State return, some write "Final Return" across the top.
>Unless you are a significant tax payer, odds of audit is extremely small.
>Important to track days out of NY
Old 11-24-2020, 11:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
When I stopped working in Manhattan, NY hounded me for 3 years to file Tax Returns. Then they went back 3 years and sent me bills for "re calculated" taxes. They got me for around $50 for each prior year except the final year. I had worked 9 months in Manhattan and when we re-did the taxes for that year, NY owed me $40 or so. When we filed for it, they claimed it was beyond the statute of limitations. See how that works? I owe them forever, but after 3 years, they can't owe me.

I despise NY. My NJ house is 3 miles from the border and I refuse to go there unless absolutely there is no other way.

All I can say is document everything because those money grasping jackals are going to make you prove everything.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,071 Times in 2,743 Posts

Make sure you change your health insurance to Florida, or NY (or any other state) will forever hound you for taxes. You are considered a resident of the state where you get your health insurance. I guess if you are 65+ and are on Medicare that is a different story since it is a federal program. Our desire to have access to our doctors in Massachusetts has kept us from being able to change our primary state of residency to Florida. Before Obamacare it used to be that you just had spend 183+ days per year in a state to claim it as your primary residency.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
You are considered a resident of the state where you get your health insurance..

FYI. With my companies, all health insurance was out of Iowa and our employees were residents of other states including: Georgia, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, Texas, North Carolina & Illinois. We are Florida residents and have health insurance from out of state.

Old 11-24-2020, 12:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,043 Times in 5,334 Posts

I would also close any bank accounts located in NYS.
Old 11-24-2020, 01:03 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
You are considered a resident of the state where you get your health insurance.
No. That is NOT correct. The concept of domicile is much more complicated than that.

kathy
Old 11-24-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Make sure you change your health insurance to Florida, or NY (or any other state) will forever hound you for taxes. You are considered a resident of the state where you get your health insurance. I guess if you are 65+ and are on Medicare that is a different story since it is a federal program. Our desire to have access to our doctors in Massachusetts has kept us from being able to change our primary state of residency to Florida. Before Obamacare it used to be that you just had spend 183+ days per year in a state to claim it as your primary residency.
We still have our employer-based health insurance in New York State. We are full-time Florida residents and this has NEVER presented a problem with either New York State, nor health care providers in Florida. The ACA has nothing to do with this issue, it is on your insurance company. My husband has BC/BS of Western New York, and we don't have to be residents of New York State. Your insurance provider may be telling you that, not any government office.
Old 11-24-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Hi, I read all about what to do to become a Florida resident. But I have not read anything about what paperworks are needed in NY state. If you have moved Domicile from NY to FL, could you share that info? If you did, did you get any notification from the NY state? How long did it take to complete the process of becoming FL resident?

Thanks in advance.
As a former proud New York State resident, the simple answer is that you don't have to do notify NYS. New York State will know when you no longer file State Income Taxes, if the state needs to find you they can.
Old 11-24-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny32162 View Post
As a former proud New York State resident, the simple answer is that you don't have to do notify NYS. New York State will know when you no longer file State Income Taxes, if the state needs to find you they can.
Thanks guys.. I will have some rental incomes even after so it won't be final when I file non-resident tax return also with NY property taxes. And with electronic filing, I do not know I can write FINAL electronically. Anyway, I got the gist of it. Thanks.

BTW, did anyone ever had to go thru with NYS audit? Did you need lawyer/CPA if you did?
I am just preparing for the worst possible situation..
Old 11-24-2020, 01:39 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Thanks guys.. I will have some rental incomes even after so it won't be final when I file non-resident tax return also with NY property taxes. And with electronic filing, I do not know I can write FINAL electronically. Anyway, I got the gist of it. Thanks.

BTW, did anyone ever had to go thru with NYS audit? Did you need lawyer/CPA if you did?
I am just preparing for the worst possible situation..
I did many years ago. Long story. It took some legal research and good solid arguments on my part and I ended up forking over something like $17.72.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 11-24-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I did many years ago. Long story. It took some legal research and good solid arguments on my part and I ended up forking over something like $17.72.
Did you have professional help or did it all by yourself?
Old 11-24-2020, 02:01 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Did you have professional help or did it all by yourself?
I did it all by myself. I was a freshly minted NY lawyer and had literally just passed the NY bar. Although I was an intellectual property attorney my best grade in law school was in a tax class. It did take some appeals. I had some case law on my side which I cited to them. The head guy finally said OK, you win except for a very minor ($17.72) matter and invited me into his office for a cup of coffee.

If you own rental property you probably have a capable CPA who will know how to handle your change of domicile/residence, file nonresident tax returns and so on. You can probably find a lot written about how to insure your change of residency is solid as well as how to maintain it as you may be visiting NY to manage your rental properties and visit friends and family. A lot is written on this subject. You are not the first person from NY or other high tax state moving to FL or other state having low or no personal income tax.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 11-24-2020 at 02:19 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
state, resident, read, info, process

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.