Moving from NY to TV

Closed Thread
Old 11-25-2020, 07:42 AM
Veteran member

I moved from California in August 2010. Been in Florida ever since and never saw a tax bill from California for the first half of 2010. Even if I did, I wouldn’t pay it.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:47 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,769 Times in 3,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
Filed NY State income taxes ( Florida has no state income tax) and federal income tax in Fla ( federal is federal filed anywhere in the US).
Federal is NOT filed any where.
You do NOT file Federal Income Taxes in Florida.

Mail to TX or NC.

Where to File Paper Tax Returns With or Without a Payment | Internal Revenue Service
Old 11-25-2020, 08:15 AM

First , when you change the registration on your car vehicle to Fl plates , you must send your plates back to NY. The same with your drivers license. It is illegal to keep both and also alleviates all problems that others are stating . Once I did that everything else fell into place. Next , you need to contact the Post office to forward all your mail. Next you need to contact every company you deal with of your new address. Retirement system/ company, Health insurance, credit cards , drs, banks, annuities/stock companies, cable( due to the final bill) , phone, oil/ electric ( due to final bill, water ( again final bill) etc. ( don’t forget anyone and do it for everyone you ever get snail mail from - I suggest making a list and checking it twice, lol. ) including friends not on your fb page if you use that. This is the paper trail you will need in order to live. Good luck
Old 11-25-2020, 08:24 AM

i just got here xmas day. if you own a house in NY and have the Star deduction you need to get a letter from the county tax collector stating star is removed. Other than that standard stuff. If registering you car down here don't just move your car insurance over get other quotes. When i tried to do that with Liberty Mutual after 33 years my car insurance went from $1500 to $3600. Got it from a good company for $1000.. Welcome to TV
Old 11-25-2020, 08:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scbang View Post
Hi, I read all about what to do to become a Florida resident. But I have not read anything about what paperworks are needed in NY state. If you have moved Domicile from NY to FL, could you share that info? If you did, did you get any notification from the NY state? How long did it take to complete the process of becoming FL resident?

Thanks in advance.
We too are ex-New Yorkers you will be shocked at how easy and painless it is. We did it about 8 years ago. The people, in the government office, at the back of the Pinellis Library were knowledgeable, helpful and friendly-far different than doing this sort of thing in New York. Time? We had it all done, including a Florida drivers license, voting registration, resident tax in about an hour and a half.
New York-we sold our home EIGHT YEARS AGO. A year or so ago I was called for jury duty in New York. My letter was claimed not received. It cost me about $6.00 for a return receipt letter to the bureaucrats.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:53 AM

I believe you need to notify NYS board of elections.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsenholzi View Post
First , when you change the registration on your car vehicle to Fl plates , you must send your plates back to NY. The same with your drivers license. It is illegal to keep both and also alleviates all problems that others are stating . Once I did that everything else fell into place. Next , you need to contact the Post office to forward all your mail. Next you need to contact every company you deal with of your new address. Retirement system/ company, Health insurance, credit cards , drs, banks, annuities/stock companies, cable( due to the final bill) , phone, oil/ electric ( due to final bill, water ( again final bill) etc. ( don’t forget anyone and do it for everyone you ever get snail mail from - I suggest making a list and checking it twice, lol. ) including friends not on your fb page if you use that. This is the paper trail you will need in order to live. Good luck
Old school perhaps but we still use paper checks. You mention water bill etc. I was amused that our NY water company turned us over for collection. We had a cancelled check showing the bill was paid with a note on the back close account bill paid in full and a note sent with a copy of the final bill.
Went on and on. Now I find it amusing how pathetically stupid paid company representatives are. Wasted a lot of my time. But, it is finally resolved and I have a letter, that I insisted on showing they have been paid in full. These companies have a computer run of bills not paid. Rather than investigate, they turn you in to a low life
bulk collection agency. You are forced, unpaid, to do their work and prove you paid the bill
Old 11-25-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny32162 View Post
As a former proud New York State resident, the simple answer is that you don't have to do notify NYS. New York State will know when you no longer file State Income Taxes, if the state needs to find you they can.
I moved from NY to FL and didn't notify anyone except friends and family. To establish Florida residency simply change your drivers license to Florida. They will keep your NY license, register you to vote and notify the NY Board of Elections that you are a Florida resident. As far as NY State taxes are concerned, you probably will have to file a NY Part Year resident form - (IT-203). Your NY tax will be prorated for the time spent in NY.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:35 AM

When I moved here in 2004 from WA state all I did was get a FL drivers license. Why would you need “paperwork” to prove residency?? I did have to give them my WA state license at the time. It’s really a very simple process.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info but my question really is by notifying NY state, it might cause for them to audit me. If I do everything required in FL and do nothing in NY, maybe it's better and NY does not notice my move other than I no longer file NY state tax return.
Really it doesn't matter what you do or don't do you never know what NY will do. I left NY years ago and moved to GA. 6 years after that move I received a bill for unpaid taxes from NY for over $6,000. I guess it didn't matter to NY that the W-2's showed GA.
Fortunately I was an anal retentive accountant and had all my tax information for the year in question showing I was a resident of GA and paid taxes there. That took care of the issue. So the best advice I can give you is keep your documentation just in case some NY state tax "professional" doesn't do their job correctly.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:39 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,769 Times in 3,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassjax2 View Post
Why would you need “paperwork” to prove residency??
Upon state audit, you will have to prove non-residency.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:42 AM
Gold member

I am a former NY resident. I simply Googled the NY change in residency requirements and completed several of them. I sold my property in NY, changed my address everywhere I could, opened a new bank account (savings and checking) in FL and closed all of my bank accounts in NY. When I filled-out my "final" NY income tax return, I made sure that my new FL address was on the return. I purchased my new home in FL, obtained my FL driver's license and auto registration, plus cancelled my NY auto insurance and purchased FL insurance. I had expected some push back from NY, as I was a long-time cash cow for the state (my opinion only), but never heard a word. They never even thanked me.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info but my question really is by notifying NY state, it might cause for them to audit me. If I do everything required in FL and do nothing in NY, maybe it's better and NY does not notice my move other than I no longer file NY state tax return.
Exactly you owe your prior state nothing especially ny
Old 11-25-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
We moved from NY to Summerfield 3 months ago and we didn't notify NY about anything. No need. They aren't our mother.

Just turn in your license plates (NY) and what not and have the accountant do your taxes as per the laws the first year especially. You aren't obligated to prove anything unless you get further comms or an audit
Old 11-25-2020, 11:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Wait till some of the larger states losing residents put in an exit tax.
Closed Thread

Tags
state, resident, read, info, process

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.