Moving on up

Closed Thread
Old 07-20-2021, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy1 View Post
I see a pink flamingo as being warm and friendly, I see a little white cross as being judgmental. God loves us all.
I see those who see a cross as judgmental as being judgmental and therefore rank hypocrites
Old 07-20-2021, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBoomer View Post
I see those who see a cross as judgmental as being judgmental and therefore rank hypocrites
This is about deed restrictions and really not about criticism of someone's faith.

If you move here, most will not be able to place lawn ornaments of any kind without permission from the Architectural Review Committee. If a person places ANYTHING in their yard that does not meet their approval, AND SOMEONE REPORTS THEM, then they will be asked to remove it, or put it under the eaves of their house. If they fail to do so, they open themselves to be fined.

I like this deed restriction. It is one of the reasons we chose to live here. We have had similar deed restrictions in the neighborhoods in Ohio where we lived.

It is my feeling that it makes for a nicer appearance and protects the property values of all.
Old 07-22-2021, 05:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
This is about deed restrictions and really not about criticism of someone's faith.

If you move here, most will not be able to place lawn ornaments of any kind without permission from the Architectural Review Committee. If a person places ANYTHING in their yard that does not meet their approval, AND SOMEONE REPORTS THEM, then they will be asked to remove it, or put it under the eaves of their house. If they fail to do so, they open themselves to be fined.

I like this deed restriction. It is one of the reasons we chose to live here. We have had similar deed restrictions in the neighborhoods in Ohio where we lived.

It is my feeling that it makes for a nicer appearance and protects the property values of all.
Hmm, as much as I would like to agree with you, "nicer appearance" is in the eyes of the beholder. "Protects property values" seems to be contrary to fact today, also. Almost all homes in my neighborhood are personalized, meaning many yard ornaments, pots and other personal choices. No home put on the market this year has been there for very long. One that I know of, sold for over $600K that sold for about $500K last year. I have not seen anyone take a loss in my neighborhood. Apparently, those yard decorations had little effect on the market. I don't always find the same attraction toward some modifications that the owners sees, but I don't like yellow cars either.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Hmm, as much as I would like to agree with you, "nicer appearance" is in the eyes of the beholder. "Protects property values" seems to be contrary to fact today, also. Almost all homes in my neighborhood are personalized, meaning many yard ornaments, pots and other personal choices. No home put on the market this year has been there for very long. One that I know of, sold for over $600K that sold for about $500K last year. I have not seen anyone take a loss in my neighborhood. Apparently, those yard decorations had little effect on the market. I don't always find the same attraction toward some modifications that the owners sees, but I don't like yellow cars either.
Exactly. I don't like the "stepford wives" look in landscaping. I don't want to look around a neighborhood for a new home and think "okay - which green square do I want to own? The left one, the right one, the one in the middle, the one across the street - oh well who cares, they're all pretty much the same." My neighbors come in all shapes, sizes, colors, have all kinds of different accents, are from different countries with different cultures.

I LIKE knowing there are differences. I embrace differences. That's why I'm okay with my neighbors having landscapes that reflect those differences. Some folks just want everyone to be like everyone else. To me, that's boring; a monochromatic life bereft of visual stimulation.

That said, I moved to the neighborhood I live in now, in the Villages, partly because these things are acceptable here. The deed restrictions are not as strict. We still have rules and regs, but we have some wiggle room for personal touches. We aren't the Borg nor are we expected to decorate as if we were.
Old 07-23-2021, 05:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Exactly. I don't like the "stepford wives" look in landscaping. I don't want to look around a neighborhood for a new home and think "okay - which green square do I want to own? The left one, the right one, the one in the middle, the one across the street - oh well who cares, they're all pretty much the same." My neighbors come in all shapes, sizes, colors, have all kinds of different accents, are from different countries with different cultures.

I LIKE knowing there are differences. I embrace differences. That's why I'm okay with my neighbors having landscapes that reflect those differences. Some folks just want everyone to be like everyone else. To me, that's boring; a monochromatic life bereft of visual stimulation.

That said, I moved to the neighborhood I live in now, in the Villages, partly because these things are acceptable here. The deed restrictions are not as strict. We still have rules and regs, but we have some wiggle room for personal touches. We aren't the Borg nor are we expected to decorate as if we were.
But if you were, resistance would be futile
Old 07-23-2021, 05:58 AM

Why do people move to the Villages when they know you are prohibited from adding things to your landscape? Stay in your previous residence and put whatever you want. I really don't know why people think advertising their political, sports, religious junk in their yard is a beautification of the landscaping. It looks trashy, that's why there are restrictions.
Closed Thread

Tags
religious, moving, purchased, degrading, responsible

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.