MR Kool DIY Mini Split

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2021, 08:14 PM
Default MR Kool DIY Mini Split

I am purchasing an older home in the Orange Blossom Gardens area that has a couple of add on rooms that are not air conditioned and it is on a large lot with a secluded backyard (unlike homes further south that are closer together).

I know what a mini split is (have in on my current home) and how easy they are to install.

Am thinking about getting a Mr Kool Multi-zone for this new TV home and running it from the back around to the side of the house into the Florida room. This would be a supplemental A/C system to the existing A/C in the home.

My question is if it is okay to run the lines on the outside of the house (which of course is what would have to be done). Does this require architectural approval? Does TV require that a contractor do the installation or can I just hire a local handyman to do the installation as I did at my current home.

Also, if anyone knows of anyone who could install a Mr Kool system for me, that would be great.

Any insight would be helpful. Thank you in advance.
Old 07-24-2021, 06:04 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

M.O.
Mini-splits are ugly, inside & outside.
Invest a couple bucks & do it right with a second unit or a new larger unit.
How old is your current unit.......might be replacing real soon.
Old 07-24-2021, 05:27 PM

I'm a fan of ductless M/S's..will be following this post. Are you wood or bock construction?
Old 07-25-2021, 01:52 PM

Wood and I love minisplits because they are so quiet and each room can be temperature controllled.
Old 07-25-2021, 02:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,124 Times in 2,240 Posts

OP, you will need to call ARC and ask them, this is in an older district and I have no idea of their restrictions. As for licensed electrician and permits, I am guessing yes to both. We are in Sumter County, and new wiring needs to be inspected and therefore needs a permit. The local electrical companies can install and inspect small (120 v) wiring. I did some of my own 120v (never again the attic is miserable), and had both a rough inspection and a final inspection. I do not know the specific requirement for a mini-split but our A/C requires a 240 service, a disconnect switch and a 120 volt service outlet next to the compressor. Also If you DIY or have it done without permits and inspection this could come back and haunt you later.
Old 07-25-2021, 02:10 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhart View Post
Wood and I love minisplits because they are so quiet and each room can be temperature controllled.
Zoning will control individual room temps, without an ugly MS unit.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:48 PM

With wood easier than block through the wall with electrical legs,command harness and refrigerant lines. There are some excellent mr cool videos on U tube.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Zoning will control individual room temps, without an ugly MS unit.
How do you zone with central air...? Shutting off registers is not recommended for single speed units.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Residential zoning can be accomplished in one of two ways: multiple, independent systems or a single system with motorized dampers in the ductwork to control where the conditioned air is going. In our previous custom home (before moving to The Villages), we had a single system with 4 zones. In the home before that, we had multiple, independent systems. There are pros and cons to each approach.

In order to do it correctly with a single system with dampers in the ductwork, you really want to choose a system that is designed for zoning such as the Carrier Infinity. The ductwork needs to be carefully designed to accommodate the minimum CFM that the system can deliver when only a single zone is calling. It will work best with a variable speed compressor and variable speed air handler that can ramp down when only a single zone is calling. The Villages has provided zoning in some of the larger homes via the first option: 2 independent systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcarwilly View Post
How do you zone with central air...? Shutting off registers is not recommended for single speed units.

Last edited by tuccillo; 07-26-2021 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:08 AM

2 systems provides back up cooling for your house when one system fails and you are waiting for service or replacement
Closed Thread

Tags
home, kool, install, current, house

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.