Multi-car accident at Morse & 466

Closed Thread
Old 12-29-2019, 07:53 AM
Veteran member

It's not that the intersection is dangerous as much as this area has an abundance of really awful drivers. I doubt many know what a turn signal is. When moving to TV, I sold my motorcycle rather than run the gauntlet of the round-abouts.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunky1 View Post
Install “red left turn arrows” at the 466 E. West intersection of Morse Boulevard just as was done recently at the East West 466 Buena Vista intersection. Install “no turn on red” signs on north and south intersection of Morse Boulevard
The red left turn arrows at 466 and Buena Vista have definitely made that intersection more safe.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

All the roads intersections are filled with impatient old people so when driving anywhere you must be on high alert
Old 12-29-2019, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,879 Times in 2,425 Posts

Nothing wrong with that intersection. The drivers are the problem. The speed down 466 following too close, turn when the can’t see outside lane traffic from someone speeding in the right lane and blocked off by slowed or stopped traffic, or bully their way on right turn on red which traffic flow has to slow down. Many roads before major intersection needs automatic radar That records the speed the the plate and automatically seen out speeding ticket. Only way to start slowing speeders down. No yellow turning lights good first start and no right turn on red another. Amazes me how many speed right by the sheriff annex.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
All the roads intersections are filled with impatient old people so when driving anywhere you must be on high alert

Disagree, yes some, but most are younger speeding to aNd from wherever. Speed the problem and turning in front of traffic
Old 12-29-2019, 08:55 AM

As far as I could tell last night, this accident did not happen because of the traffic light. This was at least 3-4 yards from the light. Yes, there is a possibility that the velocity of the accident caused ALL of these cars to move that far from the traffic light, but let’s be honest, that is a very remote possibility. Yes, the yellow turn arrow is dangerous. But no more dangerous than the roundabouts. None of us know the true story of what happened last night, so let’s just relax when placing blame on “older drivers”, “people racing down 466”, and “yellow traffic signals”. There are so many other things it could be...a medical emergency that caused the driver to lose control of their car, failed brakes, bad tires. Who are we to judge without all of the facts?
Old 12-29-2019, 09:12 AM

I received the best advice from my former landlord in the Villages. Here it is: When driving in the Villages, do not be in a hurry! PERIOD.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrvbar View Post
...Yes, the yellow turn arrow is dangerous. But no more dangerous than the roundabouts...
Stated so casually, yet so wrong.

Busy signalized intersections are far more dangerous than well-designed, warranted roundabouts such as in TV.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
I'm curious why you say this. In what way is it more dangerous than other intersections? We drive through it all the time -- I must have just missed today's multi-car accident -- and it never struck me as particularly dangerous. Enquiring minds want to do!

kathy
dangerous due to the amount of traffic that passes thru the intersections, sometimes @ unreasonable speeds. and then there's always some fool weaving thru traffic, sometimes on a motorcycle
Old 12-29-2019, 09:34 AM
Veteran member

Intersection of Morse/466 and also of Rolling Acres Rd/466 are the two worst intersections in this area. I avoid them and if I am heading there I am VERY careful.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Stated so casually, yet so wrong.

Busy signalized intersections are far more dangerous than well-designed, warranted roundabouts such as in TV.
In regards to The Villages, “busy signalized intersections” are not more dangerous than “well-designed warranted roundabouts”. Each one implies having to yield. Each one one would have to calculate the distance in which the oncoming vehicle is, in order to determine safety in which to turn/merge into a roundabout. Yes, the velocity that the cars are traveling may be greater on roads such as 466, but let’s be honest as well, everyone has seen cars fly through the roundabouts at the same speed as those on 466. How’s that for casually stated?

On another note, I was commenting on the accident and what I saw firsthand. As for you, your post is off topic. The title of the post is about the accident, not how dangerous yellow turn signals are and the like.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
In regards to The Villages, “busy signalized intersections” are not more dangerous than “well-designed warranted roundabouts”. Each one implies having to yield. Each one one would have to calculate the distance in which the oncoming vehicle is, in order to determine safety in which to turn/merge into a roundabout. Yes, the velocity that the cars are traveling may be greater on roads such as 466, but let’s be honest as well, everyone has seen cars fly through the roundabouts at the same speed as those on 466. How’s that for casually stated?

On another note, I was commenting on the accident and what I saw firsthand. As for you, your post is off topic. The title of the post is about the accident, not how dangerous yellow turn signals are and the like.
Hardly even see head on or t-bone collisions in roundabouts unless someone going wrong direction.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Hardly even see head on or t-bone collisions in roundabouts unless someone going wrong direction.
Then you aren’t watching close enough. I have seen plenty of t-bone collisions in my 17 years of living here.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,655 Times in 938 Posts

I agree with others. Roundabouts are far far safer. That is why they exist. To suggest that turning if front of a car going 45 mph is no different than passing in front of a car slowing to enter, or moving around, a roundabout is silly.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,349 Times in 2,389 Posts

Quote:
As far as I could tell last night, this accident did not happen because of the traffic light. This was at least 3-4 yards from the light. Yes, there is a possibility that the velocity of the accident caused ALL of these cars to move that far from the traffic light, but let’s be honest, that is a very remote possibility. Yes, the yellow turn arrow is dangerous. But no more dangerous than the roundabouts. None of us know the true story of what happened last night, so let’s just relax when placing blame on “older drivers”, “people racing down 466”, and “yellow traffic signals”. There are so many other things it could be...a medical emergency that caused the driver to lose control of their car, failed brakes, bad tires. Who are we to judge without all of the facts?
Not judging.....offering an opinion.

Tags
morse, turned, front, serious, squad

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.