Multi-car accident at Morse & 466

Closed Thread
Old 12-28-2019, 06:07 PM
Platinum member
Default Multi-car accident at Morse & 466

At 5:30 we were turning south onto Morse from 466 and witnessed several cars piled up eastbound at Morse Blvd. One car was crunched both front and back. Several had damage. Emergency squad was not there when we turned but hopefully there are no serious injuries.

Last edited by jojo; 12-28-2019 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

That's really a dangerous intersection; I think I read a few months ago where work has been approved on a change for that intersection.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,354 Times in 2,508 Posts

For some illogical reason, some drivers think they can travel at 40+mph. two or three car lenghts or less behind another vehicle, and stop in an emergency.

it is not going to happen!
Old 12-28-2019, 07:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
That's really a dangerous intersection; I think I read a few months ago where work has been approved on a change for that intersection.
I'm curious why you say this. In what way is it more dangerous than other intersections? We drive through it all the time -- I must have just missed today's multi-car accident -- and it never struck me as particularly dangerous. Enquiring minds want to do!

kathy
Old 12-28-2019, 07:42 PM
Platinum member

One of our dear neighbors was killed at that intersection two years ago this month.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
I'm curious why you say this. In what way is it more dangerous than other intersections? We drive through it all the time -- I must have just missed today's multi-car accident -- and it never struck me as particularly dangerous. Enquiring minds want to do!

kathy
The blinking yellow left turn arrow. If both left turn lanes have cars, the ability to see thru traffic is blocked.
Changing the yellow arrow to red would contribute to a safer intersection.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post

kathy
Well, having worked many accidents as a LEO, I watch traffic all the time while driving.

When people turn left off 466 onto Morse (north or south) against oncoming traffic, many have no idea on how to judge the closure rate of the oncoming vehicles, many of which are travelling above the speed limit. Couple the speed of those oncoming vehicles along with the usual obstructed view of the vehicles trying to make a turn caused by traffic in the opposite turn lanes, and it makes for a dangerous intersection.

The same could be said of the intersections at 466/Buena Vista, 466/Rolling Acres Rd.; any intersection where you have inattentive drivers turning against the traffic.

I know how to solve the problems at these intersections, but, I'm just a retired LEO and not a traffic engineer so I'll let them take their lazy time in solving these problems (until I'm become a victim of their negligence).
Old 12-28-2019, 09:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Plus the impatience for those waiting to turn. The yellow turn lights are in other States and seem to work fine when people understand them. Drivers always seem to run the yellows, turn or straight. Never understood that.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 12-29-2019, 03:50 AM
Default Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
The blinking yellow left turn arrow. If both left turn lanes have cars, the ability to see thru traffic is blocked.
Changing the yellow arrow to red would contribute to a safer intersection.
Exactly, To add to that problem is cars on both sides that are going straight speeding up to avoid a yellow light. Also IMO, due to the constant growth of TV. The traffic through this intersection (and others) for shopping up to 441/27 area adds to the left turn on yellow issue.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:54 AM
Default Villages speeding

Many accidents are caused by excessive speeding. If you travel at the speed limit, it is nothing to have many cars pass you doing way over the sped limit. With little to no law enforcement of speeding, or traffic laws, this will only get worse. Instead of The Villages being called America's friendliest hometown, it has become America's most dangerous driving hometown.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:11 AM
Sage

IMHO, the source of the problem is a bad mix, elderly drivers driving cars that no longer fit them, elderly drivers with vision & medical issues, constant flow of visitors who don't know the lay of the land, high alcohol consumption, roads that are now obsolete--put them all together & BOOM--
Old 12-29-2019, 06:44 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
IMHO, the source of the problem is a bad mix, elderly drivers driving cars that no longer fit them, elderly drivers with vision & medical issues, constant flow of visitors who don't know the lay of the land, high alcohol consumption, roads that are now obsolete--put them all together & BOOM--
I agree. And add rain and certain areas become deadly. We saw the accident at Morse and 466 and wonder how it could have happened. There were 4 cars involved that we could see. I don't know if there was a streetlight out on 466 but it was very dark over there.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:11 AM

Install “red left turn arrows” at the 466 E. West intersection of Morse Boulevard just as was done recently at the East West 466 Buena Vista intersection. Install “no turn on red” signs on north and south intersection of Morse Boulevard
Old 12-29-2019, 07:50 AM

I live near Morse and 44. There were multiple accidents at that intersection from people turning left off of 44 onto Morse, for the same reason (left-hand turn arrow was yellow and it was hard to see very fast oncoming traffic on 44 with other cars turning left in front of you). I knew that these signals are not the responsibility of The Villages, but I brought it up in my District 10 monthly meeting anyway hoping someone could refer me to the right person. Richard Baier (District Manager who attends all the Districts' monthly meetings) said he would personally talk to someone (I think from the county) and the arrow was changed to red within a week. At that time there was little traffic on Morse turning left onto 44 because not many people drove past 44. The arrow facing Morse is still yellow and maybe that also needs to change. The point is that if you see an issue, especially one that is life-threating, please talk to the District Manager instead of posting it on social media and think that whoever can help will happen to read it. If Richard Baier cannot help, he will direct you to the correct person.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Unhappy Live near Intersection

All of the intersections along 466 are a risk and traffic control by the Police is critical to solving the number of accidents. Of course we drive it all the time and it is just repeating yourself to say look at the "speed of that vehicle" as 4 out of 5 ignore the speed limit and or safe driving. You can see this at the intersections and to see how they should drive go by the school section when the police are there. The strip from the CVS Intersection to Morse Blvd intersection is a "race strip". Enough said.
Closed Thread

Tags
morse, turned, front, serious, squad

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.