multi-modal and getting along

Closed Thread
Old 01-19-2015, 07:56 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joldnol View Post
law breaking bikes are a problem everywhere....stop signs are merely a suggestion
Cars rarely come to a complete stop at stop signs and golf carts don't always stop either. Bicycles need to get through intersections as quickly as possible for their own safety. Cars run people down. Look at the over 5,000 pedestrians killed each year. Golf carts are more dangerous than bicycles here in The Villages. I wouldn't think of riding my bike without a helmet because head injuries are greatly reduced if a rider wears a helmet. Golf cart drivers do 20-25 mph and most have no seat belts. Obviously no one wears a helmet, but seat belts would stop people from falling out and suffering a head injury. Golf carts in The Villages are a less safe activity than bicycling, in my opinion. Look at the 15 golf cart fatalities in just the last four years. I have ridden motorcycles and sports cars at high speeds, but I would never alter my cart to exceed 20 mph because these vehicles are inherently unstable. I had seat belts installed for my families safety and I try to drive as safely as possible. Lay off the bicyclists they harm no one. Sure they make you slow down and maybe you have to merge over to the other lane, but isn't this a retirement community where people are supposed to be out walking, cycling, etc.? Share the roads and paths.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
AND Mr. Hog. Most women wear the pants. Dresses aren't in anymore.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:11 PM
Sage

Rolling through stop signs when it is clear and safe to do so is a common practice with many cyclists, as it is with most cars and golf carts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joldnol View Post
law breaking bikes are a problem everywhere....stop signs are merely a suggestion
Old 01-20-2015, 05:12 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
no mater what vehicle here in TV!
Enough Said,,
Old 01-20-2015, 06:42 AM

We were in a golf cart. Friend was driving and yes, more than 3 feet!
Old 01-20-2015, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
I'm curious if the slower cyclists were riding single file or abreast. I am an avid cyclist and I ride on the cart paths for safety reasons. I always ride single file as far to the right as possible whenever I see a golf cart approaching from the rear (I use a mirror). I am amazed at the belligerent behavior of so many cyclists, demanding the whole lane no matter the safety costs. Full disclosure; I run most stop signs while cycling (slow and go). Unless, of course, I see the po po.
They were riding abreast.......
Old 01-20-2015, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter123 View Post
I agree with you 100%. I am surprised at how many posts want to lynch the biker. I questioned the op in a previous post if they gave the bike 3 feet and got no response. My guess is the op came too close to the biker and then cut in front of them before the stop sign. I also highly doubt that the biker ran his bike into the back of the cart at the stop sign. Bike tires are fragile. Probably just another inconsiderate, inpatient cart driver.
I responded to your post....more than 3 feet was given....I was not driving but a passenger. I was out all day so the response was slow, it was not indicating my friend gave less than 3 feet. There are always two sides to everything...I agree.....but regardless....road rage is not appropriate in any circumstance...........that includes bikers.....my OP was just a post to see if we could all start being a little kinder.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter123 View Post
We're you in a golf cart? Did you give them at least 3 feet of room when you passed?
see the last post....I did respond. We were in a golf cart and she gave more than 3 feet. Didn't respond til now because we were out all day yesterday. There are always 2 sides to things, I agree but it does not mean that "road rage" is appropriate at any time. I was a passenger , there fore a witness and my friend did absolutely nothing wrong.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:25 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromlich View Post
I responded to your post....more than 3 feet was given....I was not driving but a passenger. I was out all day so the response was slow, it was not indicating my friend gave less than 3 feet. There are always two sides to everything...I agree.....but regardless....road rage is not appropriate in any circumstance...........that includes bikers.....my OP was just a post to see if we could all start being a little kinder.
I agree the response given by the biker was rude and vulger to say the least.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
They were riding abreast.......
That is not good bicycle riding. Riding side by side makes it difficult for people to pass. It looks like you came upon some very inconsiderate bicyclists. All people should try to be considerate whether they are walking, bicycling, riding a cart, or driving a car. Sorry you had to experience this lack of courtesy. Thanks for clarifying your experience.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:08 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWN MARIE View Post
I agree but have to tell you that this sort of aggressive behavior in general in the Villages is why we just moved to the Plantation. Been here 7 years and as avid runners have seen so much aggressive reactions unlike anything we've ever seen country wide. Been running in the Plantation now since July and just moved full time in December and it's like a different world. I know why for the most part. The streets are much wider in the Plantation and the golf carts are not sharing the road with the runners/bikers. Now instead of the finger we are getting friendly waves and shout outs encouraging us.
Dawn Marie: I am sincerely pleased that you found paradise in Plantation and wish you every happiness.

However what I recollect from your posts when you lived here is that you had a preference to run on the diamond lanes even if a sidewalk was available. This created a dilemma for golf cart drivers who had to pull left into traffic because runners such as yourself refused to yield and step up on grass or a sidewalk. Its no wonder you prefer Plantations since runners and golf cart drivers do not share the same road.

To the rest of the posters here. I have said and will restate many of the complaints pertaining to this topic are a result of poor planning and design by the developers. One poster asked if the OP gave the bicyclist 3 feet when they passed. Is there anyone out there that believes 3 feet of passing width exists on multi-modal paths? It is the same with many narrow streets and in that Dawn Marie is correct. Multi modal users are all competing for the same SPACE
Old 01-20-2015, 09:46 AM
Sage

I question whether the multimodal paths are wide enough two accommodate 2 cyclists riding abreast, a golf cart, plus 3 feet of clearance. A golf cart is about 4 feet wide, bike handlebars are typically a foot and half, plus when riding abreast you may have 1-2 feet between bikes. They probably weren't riding on the extreme edge of the path - perhaps they were in a foot. They were probably taking up 4-5 feet total. I assume you didn't run off the cart path onto the grass when you passed. The multimodal paths are typically around 10 feet wide, if I recall correctly. The numbers don't add up - the path would have needed to be 11-12 feet wide to accommodate what you described. Based on these assumptions, you may have actually passed them with only 1-2 feet of clearance. If it was 1 foot of clearance, that would probably elicit the response you experienced. Cyclists need to be given a wide berth because accidents can be fatal.

Quote:
see the last post....I did respond. We were in a golf cart and she gave more than 3 feet. Didn't respond til now because we were out all day yesterday. There are always 2 sides to things, I agree but it does not mean that "road rage" is appropriate at any time. I was a passenger , there fore a witness and my friend did absolutely nothing wrong.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:22 AM
Sage

Come on people, let us acknowledge what most likely happened here.

1) Apparently two cyclists were riding abreast. This is not the ideal situation but I don't believe this is actually prohibited.
2) They were most likely passed with very little clearance based on the typical width of the multimodal path, the width of a golf cart, and the width of bikes.
3) The cyclists vented their anger. Fine, they used strong language - get over it. People call this "rude and vulger [sic]". However, these are only words and cannot be equated with what was most likely a dangerous action: overtaking and passing the cyclists with little clearance. Apparently this action is not considered "rude and vulger [sic]". It is the responsibility of the overtaking vehicle to pass in a safe and responsible manner. Does anyone seriously believe that is what happened here? The fact that the cyclists were probably being discourteous does not justify them being "buzzed" by a golf cart.

Let the flaming begin ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles42 View Post
I agree the response given by the biker was rude and vulger to say the least.

Last edited by biker1; 01-20-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
I question whether the multimodal paths are wide enough two accommodate 2 cyclists riding abreast, a golf cart, plus 3 feet of clearance. A golf cart is about 4 feet wide, bike handlebars are typically a foot and half, plus when riding abreast you may have 1-2 feet between bikes. They probably weren't riding on the extreme edge of the path - perhaps they were in a foot. They were probably taking up 4-5 feet total. I assume you didn't run off the cart path onto the grass when you passed. The multimodal paths are typically around 10 feet wide, if I recall correctly. The numbers don't add up - the path would have needed to be 11-12 feet wide to accommodate what you described. Based on these assumptions, you may have actually passed them with only 1-2 feet of clearance. If it was 1 foot of clearance, that would probably elicit the response you experienced. Cyclists need to be given a wide berth because accidents can be fatal.
That makes no sense at all. A golf cart going the other way would be able to pass without any problem and we had to get in that lane to pass. Sorry, but I'm not looking to argue , just asking all of us to be kinder. No matter what the issue....ROAD RAGE IS NOT ACCEPTABLE! You weren't there and just because you are a biker does not mean you know what happened. I will tell you there were more than 3 feet. Everyone sees things differently. Can't we all just get along and stop hitting and cursing others out.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:45 AM
Sage

The issue is how much clearance you gave them when you passed them from behind. Based on widths of the paths, bikes, and golf carts, it is most likely you passed them with little clearance from behind. As a long time cyclist, I can tell you that there are few things that will elicit a stronger reaction from cyclists then nearly clipping them from behind. The cyclists were reacting to something you did and it is most likely nearly clipping them. You may believe you passed them with more than 3 feet of clearance but the width of the multimodal path indicated otherwise - the numbers don't add up. What you most likely did in passing them with little clearance can be considered "road rage" also. I see this frequently - cyclists are slowing people down and they responds by passing them closely and then cutting in front of them as soon as possible. Don't try to make the cyclists out to be the bad guys here. You were tooling around in a 600-1000 lb golf cart and it is your responsibility when overtaking to do so in a safe manner. To assume the cyclists lit into you for no reason defies logic.

Quote:
That makes no sense at all. A golf cart going the other way would be able to pass without any problem and we had to get in that lane to pass. Sorry, but I'm not looking to argue , just asking all of us to be kinder. No matter what the issue....ROAD RAGE IS NOT ACCEPTABLE! You weren't there and just because you are a biker does not mean you know what happened. I will tell you there were more than 3 feet. Everyone sees things differently. Can't we all just get along and stop hitting and cursing others out.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.