Multi Modal Path Safety

Closed Thread
Old 09-10-2019, 09:47 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,084 Times in 367 Posts
Default Multi Modal Path Safety

I recently requested The Villages address a safety factor on the Multi Modal Path Exit from Winn Dixie Parking lot at LSL to the Morse Path South. Even though there is a stop note on the path, no one stops. Pedestrians walking North are unseen because of high shrubs. The entrance was widened some time ago to facilitate golf cart turns. No one stops and pedestrians are at risk.

To The Villages credit , they addressed this issue in two days, erecting a stop sign, and repainting the roadway signage.

The amazing thing was that golf carts didn't even stop while the sign was being erected. Tonight, as I was walking, I observed golf carts speeding through the new sign. I guess the only thing that would give pedestrians a chance , is the removal of the shrubs and perhaps a speed bump.

I know there are a lot of signs the golf carts ignore in the neighborhood but there are some that are an accident waiting to happen.

If you travel this path, please consider the safety need. Don't be the cause of ruining someone's well being.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I have not seen the new signage, but I know it was very easy for cart drivers to think they could safely go straight from the WD parking lot on to the cart path, whereas they are actually crossing the road coming down the side of WD so need to look right for traffic (not that there is much!)
Old 09-11-2019, 12:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
I recently requested The Villages address a safety factor on the Multi Modal Path Exit from Winn Dixie Parking lot at LSL to the Morse Path South. Even though there is a stop note on the path, no one stops. Pedestrians walking North are unseen because of high shrubs. The entrance was widened some time ago to facilitate golf cart turns. No one stops and pedestrians are at risk.

To The Villages credit , they addressed this issue in two days, erecting a stop sign, and repainting the roadway signage.

The amazing thing was that golf carts didn't even stop while the sign was being erected. Tonight, as I was walking, I observed golf carts speeding through the new sign. I guess the only thing that would give pedestrians a chance , is the removal of the shrubs and perhaps a speed bump.

I know there are a lot of signs the golf carts ignore in the neighborhood but there are some that are an accident waiting to happen.

If you travel this path, please consider the safety need. Don't be the cause of ruining someone's well being.
Removal of some shrubs, good idea. Speed bump, not so good. That is a sharp right turn and you have to go slow anyways. Next thing they'll want to do is put up a gate with a little red button. I don't stop for that stop sign, I think it's totally unnecessary. And no, I'm not one of the "Entitled"

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 09-11-2019, 12:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post

Bravo! Saw signage today but unfortunately it means NOTHING. Wife and I walk that every morning and have more than once come within inches of being knocked over. Only way we found to resolve it is walk on the "wrong" side of the path before the turn into the WD lot. Of course many of the cart "pilots" coming up on us to our backs give us sh1t for walking on the wrong side.

It's even worse walking south on the MMP after crossing Stillwater gate They come north around the completely blind curve at 99mph on 2 wheels (slight hyperbole). Once I WAS hit. Had my arm clipped by a side mirror. Again we now walk on the wrong side until we clear the curve but the cart commandos coming up behind us tell us we shouldn't be there. And NO, I refuse to walk in the wet grass. It's a shared path. If they hit me I have Dan's number in my wallet and my beneficiaries are up to date..
Old 09-11-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
I have not seen the new signage, but I know it was very easy for cart drivers to think they could safely go straight from the WD parking lot on to the cart path, whereas they are actually crossing the road coming down the side of WD so need to look right for traffic (not that there is much!)
You are correct. Every lane from Winn Dixie has STOP painted in their lane and cars are to stop for golf carts that are traveling to and from the multimodal path.

EXCEPT for the VERY LAST LANE where carts are about to enter or exit the multimodal path.

The cars in the very last lane DO NOT HAVE A STOP.
BE VERY CAREFUL THERE.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:20 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Removal of some shrubs, good idea. Speed bump, not so good. That is a sharp right turn and you have to go slow anyways. Next thing they'll want to do is put up a gate with a little red button. I don't stop for that stop sign, I think it's totally unnecessary. And no, I'm not one of the "Entitled"
Just trying to be "helpful" here. You are still breaking the law, even if "you" think that (any) stop sign is "unnecessary".
Steve
Old 09-11-2019, 05:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
Just trying to be "helpful" here. You are still breaking the law, even if "you" think that (any) stop sign is "unnecessary".
Steve
I don't believe since it is all on private property that the PD can do anything there. Generally all signage (in order to be "ticketable" and official) must be approved by the PD or whatever part of the government handles signage or it isn't "valid." Not sure you can just stick up a stop sign or even a stop light anywhere you please and have it be a "legal" sign where a cop can issue a ticket that can't be overturned. Especially when it comes to a private parking lot and the MMP. I think it would lose in a court if one was ticketed there based on "not an approved sign." I wish it was though. At least that's how it worked up north. Whenever anyone got a stop sign ticket or speeding ticket the first thing they would do is check with the township to possibly challenge the legality of the sign or the calibration of a radar gun. Not saying that is right, but sometimes it worked.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,671 Times in 625 Posts

My wife and I love to walk but we NEVER walk on a multi-modal path. It is way too dangerous.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:13 PM
Platinum member

I stop! Unfortunately I am not surprised by the number of people that do not. If you really want to see Villagers run stop signs, watch how many they blow through on the MMP in front of the Freedom Point complex!
Old 09-11-2019, 06:29 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
I don't believe since it is all on private property that the PD can do anything there. Generally all signage (in order to be "ticketable" and official) must be approved by the PD or whatever part of the government handles signage or it isn't "valid." Not sure you can just stick up a stop sign or even a stop light anywhere you please and have it be a "legal" sign where a cop can issue a ticket that can't be overturned. Especially when it comes to a private parking lot and the MMP. I think it would lose in a court if one was ticketed there based on "not an approved sign." I wish it was though. At least that's how it worked up north. Whenever anyone got a stop sign ticket or speeding ticket the first thing they would do is check with the township to possibly challenge the legality of the sign or the calibration of a radar gun. Not saying that is right, but sometimes it worked.
OK. Let's just say for the sake of argument, that a stop sign put up by a private entity is not "legally" a "stop" sign. One would think it is there for a reason and not for someone's pleasure to just mess with anyone. How would one know if that stop sign is "legally" enforceable. Wouldn't a reasonable person stop at said sign instead of thinking that said sign is "unnecessary", so I will not stop?
I see your point. I believe one should stop at a stop sign, period, there just might be a reason.
Steve
Old 09-11-2019, 06:40 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
My wife and I love to walk but we NEVER walk on a multi-modal path. It is way too dangerous.
You got that right!
Old 09-11-2019, 07:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Bravo! Saw signage today but unfortunately it means NOTHING. Wife and I walk that every morning and have more than once come within inches of being knocked over. Only way we found to resolve it is walk on the "wrong" side of the path before the turn into the WD lot. Of course many of the cart "pilots" coming up on us to our backs give us sh1t for walking on the wrong side.

It's even worse walking south on the MMP after crossing Stillwater gate They come north around the completely blind curve at 99mph on 2 wheels (slight hyperbole). Once I WAS hit. Had my arm clipped by a side mirror. Again we now walk on the wrong side until we clear the curve but the cart commandos coming up behind us tell us we shouldn't be there. And NO, I refuse to walk in the wet grass. It's a shared path. If they hit me I have Dan's number in my wallet and my beneficiaries are up to date..
Common sense will prolong your life.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
Steve
Steve, Stop signs on the MM paths are not legal stop signs, so there is no breaking the law. They are a suggestion, at best.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:21 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Steve, Stop signs on the MM paths are not legal stop signs, so there is no breaking the law. They are a suggestion, at best.
Stop signs are there for a reason, whether legally put there by law or by a private entity, they are there for a reason. You are part of the problem if you think it's OK to not stop.
Steve
Old 09-11-2019, 07:34 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
I think I asked before but don't think you answered me..... were you really a cop? I find it hard to believe from several of your posts. And if you are not "Entitled" what are you.....just above the law? You certainly don't have to answer me but I am seriously interested in knowing.
And in just a recent reply says this:

Quote:
Common sense will prolong your life.
To me it's common sense to stop at a stop sign. Maybe I live in an alternate universe?
Steve

Again............just being helpful, I would hate to see anyone
get hurt by the selfishness of others
Closed Thread

Tags
path, golf, safety, pedestrians, stop

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.