Multi Modal Path Safety

Multi Modal Path Safety

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 09-11-2019, 06:40 PM
New Englander New Englander is online now
Veteran member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Massachusetts, Pinellas, Now Sanibel
Posts: 940
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
My wife and I love to walk but we NEVER walk on a multi-modal path. It is way too dangerous.
You got that right!
__________________
Is this a great country or what?
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 09-11-2019, 07:02 PM
BobnBev's Avatar
BobnBev BobnBev is offline
Platinum member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sanibel
Posts: 1,776
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Bravo! Saw signage today but unfortunately it means NOTHING. Wife and I walk that every morning and have more than once come within inches of being knocked over. Only way we found to resolve it is walk on the "wrong" side of the path before the turn into the WD lot. Of course many of the cart "pilots" coming up on us to our backs give us sh1t for walking on the wrong side.

It's even worse walking south on the MMP after crossing Stillwater gate They come north around the completely blind curve at 99mph on 2 wheels (slight hyperbole). Once I WAS hit. Had my arm clipped by a side mirror. Again we now walk on the wrong side until we clear the curve but the cart commandos coming up behind us tell us we shouldn't be there. And NO, I refuse to walk in the wet grass. It's a shared path. If they hit me I have Dan's number in my wallet and my beneficiaries are up to date..
Common sense will prolong your life.
__________________
Patriot Guard Riders--"Standing for Those Who Have Stood for US"!

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #13  
Old 09-11-2019, 07:06 PM
BobnBev's Avatar
BobnBev BobnBev is offline
Platinum member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sanibel
Posts: 1,776
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
Just trying to be "helpful" here. You are still breaking the law, even if "you" think that (any) stop sign is "unnecessary".
Steve
Steve, Stop signs on the MM paths are not legal stop signs, so there is no breaking the law. They are a suggestion, at best.
__________________
Patriot Guard Riders--"Standing for Those Who Have Stood for US"!

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-11-2019, 07:21 PM
anothersteve anothersteve is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 377
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Steve, Stop signs on the MM paths are not legal stop signs, so there is no breaking the law. They are a suggestion, at best.
Stop signs are there for a reason, whether legally put there by law or by a private entity, they are there for a reason. You are part of the problem if you think it's OK to not stop.
Steve
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-12-2019, 05:11 PM
EdFNJ EdFNJ is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Bailed out of NJ after 68yrs and headed south.
Posts: 1,266
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
OK. Let's just say for the sake of argument, that a stop sign put up by a private entity is not "legally" a "stop" sign. One would think it is there for a reason and not for someone's pleasure to just mess with anyone. How would one know if that stop sign is "legally" enforceable. Wouldn't a reasonable person stop at said sign instead of thinking that said sign is "unnecessary", so I will not stop?
I see your point. I believe one should stop at a stop sign, period, there just might be a reason.
Steve
Agreed 100% . However The way one would know if the sign is legal is by a FOI request of county or town or whatever for the authorization to post the sign (or light or whatever street sign). Same for radar speed tickets. Have to have a state (or maybe federal) certified radar detector or all tickets (IF CHALLENGED) would be tossed out. That actually happened to me in Broward County. My mother was taken to a hospital in really bad shape and I flew down from NJ. Driving (admittedly over the limit) down Pines Blvd to get to the hospital I got stopped for speeding 60 in a 50 IIRC. I hired a company down here, ticketclinic.com to just get the ticket reduced (which is virtually $$$automatic$$$ down here) in order to avoid points in NJ. Well, while fighting the ticket and evidently many others the radar was determined to have an expired certificate and my ticket was tossed out completely. Cost me $250 but saved me a whole lot more.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-12-2019, 05:16 PM
EdFNJ EdFNJ is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Bailed out of NJ after 68yrs and headed south.
Posts: 1,266
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
Stop signs are there for a reason, whether legally put there by law or by a private entity, they are there for a reason. You are part of the problem if you think it's OK to not stop.
Steve
Correct, But that isn't the point of whether the cops can ticket you at all and/or without risk of having it tossed for not being proper if they do.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-12-2019, 05:32 PM
anothersteve anothersteve is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 377
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Correct, But that isn't the point of whether the cops can ticket you at all and/or without risk of having it tossed for not being proper if they do.
My point is the idiots that don't stop at "any" stop sign because they think it's "unnecessary", or not "legally" there are putting others in jeopardy. I don't give a damn about the legality of it. Selfish idiots if you ask me.
Steve
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-12-2019, 05:33 PM
Challenger's Avatar
Challenger Challenger is online now
Platinum member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Biscayne Villas
Posts: 1,955
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Multimodal paths are all on private property. No police force has jurisdiction over traffic movements on those paths. Completely different considerations on "Golf Cart Lanes on public roads. On such, police do have full jurisdiction to enforce traffic laws.
__________________
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke 1729-1797
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-12-2019, 05:49 PM
VApeople VApeople is offline
Veteran member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 696
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
My point is the idiots that don't stop at "any" stop sign because they think it's "unnecessary"
I don't think cart drivers are idiots. From what I can tell, they always stop when they come up to a road where automobiles are driving.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-12-2019, 05:52 PM
GoPacers GoPacers is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Steve, Stop signs on the MM paths are not legal stop signs, so there is no breaking the law. They are a suggestion, at best.
Wow...

So I guess that means the speeding golf carts, drunk golf cart drivers, runnnig walkers/joggers off the path and any/all other forms of wreckless driving on MMP's is legal and it's just a suggestion to follow "rules" that are designed to provide safety for all involved?

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
path, golf, safety, pedestrians, stop

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 PM.