Multi Modal Path Safety

Closed Thread
Old 09-12-2019, 05:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
OK. Let's just say for the sake of argument, that a stop sign put up by a private entity is not "legally" a "stop" sign. One would think it is there for a reason and not for someone's pleasure to just mess with anyone. How would one know if that stop sign is "legally" enforceable. Wouldn't a reasonable person stop at said sign instead of thinking that said sign is "unnecessary", so I will not stop?
I see your point. I believe one should stop at a stop sign, period, there just might be a reason.
Steve
Agreed 100% . However The way one would know if the sign is legal is by a FOI request of county or town or whatever for the authorization to post the sign (or light or whatever street sign). Same for radar speed tickets. Have to have a state (or maybe federal) certified radar detector or all tickets (IF CHALLENGED) would be tossed out. That actually happened to me in Broward County. My mother was taken to a hospital in really bad shape and I flew down from NJ. Driving (admittedly over the limit) down Pines Blvd to get to the hospital I got stopped for speeding 60 in a 50 IIRC. I hired a company down here, ticketclinic.com to just get the ticket reduced (which is virtually $$$automatic$$$ down here) in order to avoid points in NJ. Well, while fighting the ticket and evidently many others the radar was determined to have an expired certificate and my ticket was tossed out completely. Cost me $250 but saved me a whole lot more.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Stop signs are there for a reason, whether legally put there by law or by a private entity, they are there for a reason. You are part of the problem if you think it's OK to not stop.
Steve
Correct, But that isn't the point of whether the cops can ticket you at all and/or without risk of having it tossed for not being proper if they do.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:32 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Correct, But that isn't the point of whether the cops can ticket you at all and/or without risk of having it tossed for not being proper if they do.
My point is the idiots that don't stop at "any" stop sign because they think it's "unnecessary", or not "legally" there are putting others in jeopardy. I don't give a damn about the legality of it. Selfish idiots if you ask me.
Steve
Old 09-12-2019, 05:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Multimodal paths are all on private property. No police force has jurisdiction over traffic movements on those paths. Completely different considerations on "Golf Cart Lanes on public roads. On such, police do have full jurisdiction to enforce traffic laws.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
My point is the idiots that don't stop at "any" stop sign because they think it's "unnecessary"
I don't think cart drivers are idiots. From what I can tell, they always stop when they come up to a road where automobiles are driving.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Steve, Stop signs on the MM paths are not legal stop signs, so there is no breaking the law. They are a suggestion, at best.
Wow...

So I guess that means the speeding golf carts, drunk golf cart drivers, runnnig walkers/joggers off the path and any/all other forms of wreckless driving on MMP's is legal and it's just a suggestion to follow "rules" that are designed to provide safety for all involved?

Old 09-12-2019, 06:03 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,092 Times in 373 Posts

The point of the sign is not whether it is legally enforceable by law enforcement. The multi use paths are maintained by The Villages (CDDs). The CDDs have a responsibility to insure that some degree of safety is maintained. So, in this case they determine what is prudent. That might be something that could be relevant in a civil case. If you decide that you want to blast though and you injure someone, you don't have a defense that you were not warned.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPacers View Post
Wow...

So I guess that means the speeding golf carts, drunk golf cart drivers, runnnig walkers/joggers off the path and any/all other forms of wreckless driving on MMP's is legal and it's just a suggestion to follow "rules" that are designed to provide safety for all involved?

WOW. Many folks here take so much out of context. He never said it was LEGAL or NOT LEGAL to do those things just they they UNENFORCEABLE by the police. There are likely no ENFORCEABLE LAWS by local or county or state police that can be applied to all those things you list with regard to MMPs. Someone said here that DUI on the MMP can be cited but I even wonder about that unless the driver stop by the cops is made when physically crossing the actual public road.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPacers View Post
Wow...

I vote for a lot of "WRECKLESS" driving on the MMP's. Isn't the English language great.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Closed Thread

Tags
path, golf, safety, pedestrians, stop

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.