Music banned at swimming pools?

Closed Thread
Old 07-25-2017, 07:46 AM
Platinum member

Last edited by Fraugoofy; 10-12-2017 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:50 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
I would listen to yours, but add to your list ACDC, Def Leppard, Zz Top, Poison, Mötley Crue... any heavy metal from the 80's!

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
Oh yea!!
Old 07-25-2017, 09:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

You forgot Ozzie! Most people wouldn't even know the groups Bonny & Fraugoofy listed.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:46 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mountaineer View Post
I enjoy the brass group practicing at the South Side Pool, but I see by a letter to the editor that a complaint caused all music to be banned at a different pool.
snipped
Indeed! In fact - one is not likely to find me playing golf, pickleball, tennis or tag when that group practices. Nor am I likely to go off and run any errands at that time! That group provides a wonderful weekly concert!

Wish I could get out of the house to go and watch/listen to Sparky's Strummers when they practice/rehearse, too!

Old 07-25-2017, 10:29 AM

For all the naysayers, if someone politely asks everyone at the pool if they would mind if some music was played and they all assent, is it acceptable to play it ? If it is followed by asking anyone who subsequently comes to the pool if they would like the music turned down or off, is that also acceptable ?
Old 07-25-2017, 11:22 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivaridger1 View Post
For all the naysayers, if someone politely asks everyone at the pool if they would mind if some music was played and they all assent, is it acceptable to play it ? If it is followed by asking anyone who subsequently comes to the pool if they would like the music turned down or off, is that also acceptable ?
Looks good in theory, but when one puts social pressure, real or perceived into the formula, it fails. Imagine the number of evil eyes the newcomer who objects would have to endure post mute.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
Looks good in theory, but when one puts social pressure, real or perceived into the formula, it fails. Imagine the number of evil eyes the newcomer who objects would have to endure post mute.
How about exercising or swimming laps in a neighborhood pool ? Some do not like it since the pools are for noodling, social interaction, relaxation, etc. If a half dozen people are sitting around with some in the pool and you politely ask if they mind if you swim laps should you immediately desist when some one new walks through the gate or not do it at all ?

I do not like loud cell phone calls in the pool area. Does the fact I, as well as a few other folks, not care for them, mean that everyone should stop making them ? Need we all be so considerate of everyone else, that we need to remain quiet while silently bobbing in place in our noodle ? Don't want to get in anyone else's personal space after all ?

At what point does consideration for others become ludicrous ?
Old 07-25-2017, 02:16 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
How about exercising or swimming laps in a neighborhood pool ? Some do not like it since the pools are for noodling, social interaction, relaxation, etc. If a half dozen people are sitting around with some in the pool and you politely ask if they mind if you swim laps should you immediately desist when some one new walks through the gate or not do it at all ?

I do not like loud cell phone calls in the pool area. Does the fact I, as well as a few other folks, not care for them, mean that everyone should stop making them ? Need we all be so considerate of everyone else, that we need to remain quiet while silently bobbing in place in our noodle ? Don't want to get in anyone else's personal space after all ?

My bad. I thought we were discussing self-appointed DJs at the swimming pools.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:38 PM

I would rather listen to music than gossip and complaints.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Oftentimes, people are too polite to complain that they don't like the music...so won't say anything.

Keeping it at a level that only the the person playing it can hear the music...solves the problem.

If others want to hear it, they can bring their own music box/maker...and simply follow the same criteria.

Pretty simple really.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:

I'll stick my neck out and say that having considerations for others...is NEVER ludicrous.

With the caveat of course, that such consideration doesn't actually infringe on another persons 'rights.'

Invading other people's space with loud music, or even loud ring tones on a cell phone (especially since they all have a volume/vibrate controls AND voice mail for those calls missed), does NOT infringe on your right, IS inconsiderate...and should be avoided whenever possible.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:11 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
WVLG is certainly not the music of my generation! I know this about WVLG and therefore don't typically go to family pools, where the music is played.

The age range in The Villages is now 55-100+, which means if you are 55 your generation probably enjoyed music from the 70's and 80's. But if you are 85 you probably enjoyed music from the 40's and 50's. HUGE difference in music between the decades.

Music is a matter of personal preference. At the neighborhood pools many people bring their own music and play what they like out loud for others to "enjoy".

I don't play my music out loud at the Adult pools out of respect for others. I am 99% sure most Villagers would not like my music so I keep it to myself! I wish others would do the same!

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
so i am dated with songs like "every little breeze seems to whisper Louise, birds in the trees....
or
goin take a sentimental journey goin take....

loud music at pools, speeding golf carts, rude people...what's a person to do
Old 07-26-2017, 07:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Wish they would ban cell phones at the pools
Find it far more annoying than someone's choice of music
Old 07-26-2017, 07:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Wish they would ban cell phones at the pools
Find it far more annoying than someone's choice of music
Ahhh aging is a wonderful thing. Everyone who wears hearing devices must remove them to swim or have them ruined and they all cost thousands of dollars. (another thread) Many like me remove them at home, so as to keep them safe and secure.

So because of this...Here in The Villages at a public pool there are many present who can't hear music at an acceptable level for all.

Again. This business of asking someone publicly whether they would mind if someone played music is just not something our generation or people from the Midwest would do or feel comfortable saying no to.

THAT is my opinion. I would consider it ballsy to play my music at a level to be heard outdoors at a public pool.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:17 AM

As some other posters have noted I agree that loud personal cell phone conversations are much more annoying at the pool, and for that manner in any public venue, then listening to music. I'd also note many people between 50 and 80 have no problem in engaging in those long protracted cell phone conversations discussing the behavior of aunt Sophie's errant nephews and their wives who seem to be living in places such as Cedar Rapids, Moline, Columbus, Sheboygan and Flint, Indianapolis, etc.
Closed Thread

Tags
south, pool, group, banned, music

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.